#2196 - Friday, July 8, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2005

      Nondual Highlights
      #2196 - Friday, July 8, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      “All that is left
      to us by tradition
      is mere words.

      It is up to us
      to find out what they mean.”

      ibn al-`Arabi, Tarjuman al-Ashwaq,
      in The Mystics of Islam, translated by Reynold A Nicholson

      posted to AlphaWorld

             To be aware is to be awake.  Unaware means
             asleep.  You are aware anyhow, you need not
             try to be.  What you need is to be aware of
             being aware.  Be aware deliberately and
             consciously, broaden and deepen the field
             of awareness.  You are always conscious of
             the mind, but you are not aware of yourself
             as being conscious.

                               - Nisargadatta Maharaj

             ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      "I Am That"
      Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      The Acorn Press, 1973

      posted to Along the Way

      “Most of us can learn to live in perfect comfort on higher levels of power. Everyone knows that on any given day there are energies slumbering in him which the incitements of that day do not call forth. Compared with what we ought to be, we are only half awake. It is evident that our organism has stored-up reserves of energy that are ordinarily not called upon - deeper and deeper strata of explosible material, ready for use by anyone who probes so deep. The human individual usually lives far within his limits.”

      William James

      posted to AlphaWorld

      "{There are two paths leading to oneness with the Tao.} The first is the path of acceptance. Affirm everyone and everything. Freely extend you goodwill and virtue in every direction, regardless of circumstances. Embrace all things as part of the Harmonious Oneness, and then you will begin to perceive it. The second path is that of denial. Recognize that everything you see and think is a falsehood, an illusion, a veil over the truth. Peel all the veils away, and you will arrive at the Oneness. Though these paths are entirely different, they will deliver you to the same place: spontaneous awareness of the Great Oneness."
      ~ Lao Tzu (c.604-531 B.C.)

      While the first path is that of Bhakti (Surrender/Love), the second is of Jnan (Knowledge of Self). Even Ramana Maharshi always said these are the only two main paths and every path we know of is actually one of these.

      Tat tvam asi
      (You are that)

      posted by Sachin Chavan on MillionPaths

      A mother, even at the risk of her own life, protects her child, her only child. In the same way should you cultivate love without measure toward all beings. You should cultivate toward the whole world--above, below, around--a heart of love unstinted, unmixed with any sense of differing or opposing interests. You should maintain this mindfulness all the time you are awake. Such a state of heart is the best in the world.

      -Majjhima Nikaya
      From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000

      Scene: 1999, Mick Brown is interviewing H. H. the
      Dalai Lama for the book he was writing about the
      Tibetan political intrigues concerning the naming of
      the 17th Karmapa. The interview had gone long past its
      schedule stopping time, and the secretary to His
      Holiness was impatient for His Holiness to leave.

      Mick Brown continues..
      "Before leaving for India, I had been asked by a
      Western nun to bring a photograph of her dying mother,
      to give to the Dalai Lama for his blessing. I gave the
      envelope to His Holiness, expecting him to pass it to
      his secretary to deal with.  Time was pressing.
      Instead he opened it. Carefully, he read my friend's
      letter. His secretary hovered, almost willing the
      Dalai Lama, it seemed, to finally bring the meeting to
      an end. But now he turned his attention to the
      photograph. He held it cupped in his hand for what
      seemed like an eternity, regarding the picture of the
      woman with an expression of utmost compassion on his
      face, as if there was nothing more important in the
      world that he could be doing at that moment. At
      length, he put the letter and the picture back in the
      envelope, and tucked it inside his robes, beside his
      heart.

      Throughout our conversation, I had been aware of a
      nagging doubt growing in my mind; the talk of
      politics, of disputations, had made me somehow forget
      the essence of Buddhist practice. It dented my faith.
      In this one small gesture, the Dalai Lama had restored
      it.

      A few days later I received an e-mail from my nun
      friend. The day after my meeting with the Dalai Lama
      she had received an e-mail from his private secretary.
      His Holiness wished her to know, it said, that I had
      given him the letter, and that she and her mother were
      in his thoughts."

      ~Mick Brown

      From the book, "The Dance of 17 Lives,"
      published by Bloomsbury.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1582345988/angelinc

      posted by Amrita Nadi to Daily Dharma

      In January this year I spent a very special evening in the company of
      an Apache Indian, J.,  a guest from the US visiting the area;

      At a certain moment he asked the people gathered there: what is
      water? what is fire? what is earth? what is air? and if there was
      anybody who wanted to bring an answer. And yes, there were people who
      stood up willing to come with answers. And there was so interesting,
      and funny, and people came with lots of answers, plenty of answers; a
      woman that I was told later she was an actress acted the 'Earth' so
      well that we all hardly could stop laughing long after her show was
      over. There were answers, plenty of them, all kinds of answers:
      scientific, mystical, romantic, mysterious, allegorical. And lots of
      good laughs.
      When all this came to an end, J. mentioned there was still another
      answer: "I don't know."

      That brought to my attention the fact that no one came with this
      answer, "I don't know".  And the fact that JK mentioned in his talks
      so often the humble mind, the sensitive, open mind, the mind who
      knows to say "I don't know."  And I knew I was spending the evening
      in the company of a great one.

      posted by Viorica Weissman to MillionPaths