#2194 - Wednesday, July 6, 2005

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6 4:13 PM

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2194 Wednesday, July 6, 2005

      Smoke

      Don't listen to anything I say.
      I must enter the center of the fire.

      Fire is my child, but I must
      be consumed and become fire.

      Why is there crackling and smoke?
      Because the firewood and the flames
      are still talking about each other.

      "You are too dense. Go away!"

      "You are too wavering.
      I have solid form."

      In the blackness those friends keep arguing.
      Like a wanderer with no face.
      Like the most powerful bird in existence
      sitting on its perch, refusing to move.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks, from The Book of Love - Poems of Ecstasy and Longing, posted to AlphaWorld

      Jesus told us to love our enemy.
      "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
      This teaching helps us know how to look
      At the person we consider to be the cause for our suffering.

      If we practice looking deeply into his situation
      And the causes of how he came to be the way he is now,
      And if we visualize ourselves as being born in his condition,
      We may see that we could have become exactly like him.

      When we do that, compassion arises in us naturally,
      And we see that the other person is to be helped, and not punished.
      In that moment, our anger transforms itself into the energy of compassion.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh, posted to JustThis

      Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.

      - The Dalai Lama

      Let all self-definitions die in this moment. Let them all go, and see what remains. See what is never born and what does not die. Feel the relief of laying down the burden of defining yourself. Experience the actual non-reality of the burden. Experience the joy that is here. Rest in the endless peace of your true nature before any thought of "I" arises.

      - Gangaji from A Diamond in Your Pocket, posted to The_Now2

      It is the message that proves the messenger, not the claim.

      - Hazrat Inayat Khan, posted to truevision

      Seeing death as the end of life
      is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.

      - Henry Bergson, French philosopher, 1859-1941, posted to The_Now2

      .