#2176 - Saturday, June 18, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2005
      Nondual Highlights
      #2176 - Saturday, June 18, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      If we can reach the understanding of what we actually are,
      there is no better remedy for eliminating all suffering.
      This is the heart of all spiritual practices.
      -Kalu Rinpoche, "Luminous Mind"
      Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001.
      Reprinted from "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations," edited by Josh Bartok

      "A Man Talking to His House"

      I say that no one in this caravan is awake
      and that while you sleep, a thief is stealing

      the signs and symbols of what you thought
      was your life. Now you're angry with me for

      telling you this! Pay attention to those who
      hurt your feelings telling you the truth.

      Giving and absorbing compliments is like
      trying to paint on water, that insubstantial.

      Here is how a man once talked with his house.
      "Please, if you're ever about to collapse,

      let me know." One night without a word the
      house fell. "What happened to our agreement?"

      The house answered, "Day and night I've been
      telling you with cracks and broken boards and

      holes appearing like mouths opening. But you
      kept patching and filling those with mud, so

      proud of your stopgap masonry. You didn't
      listen." This house is your body, always

      saying, I'm leaving; I'm going soon. Don't
      hide from the one who knows the secret. Drink

      the wine of turning toward God. Don't examine
      your urine. Examine instead how you praise,

      what you wish for, this longing we've been
      given. Fall turns pale light yellow wanting

      spring, and spring arrives! Seeds blossom.
      Come to the orchard and see what comes

      to you, a silent conversation with your soul.

      -- Ghazal (Ode) 1134
      Version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin
      "The Glance"
      Viking-Penguin, 1999

      ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

       posted to Sunlight

      I was a boy with friend,
      telling as it went:

      Of  fate
      this dream,
      we are to pass.

      Here is this talk
      on a straight path.

      Here,  opening the gate.

      How does it end?
      he asked.

      As we walked into
       the tall grass.

      photo by Alan Larus
      poem and more photos from:

      "When he was challenged by Mara - who personifies
      delusion - the Buddha touched the Earth with his
      right hand and said, 'With Earth as my witness, I
      will sit here in meditation until I realize true
      awakening.' When he did that, Mara disappeared.
      "Sometimes we too are visited by Mara - when we
      feel irritated, insecure, angry, or unhappy. When
      that happens, please touch the Earth deeply with
      your feet. Please practice walking meditation.
      The Earth, our mother, is filled with deep love
      for us. When we suffer, she will protect us,
      nourishing us with her beautiful trees, grasses
      and flowers."
      ~Thich Nhat Hanh

      From the book, "The Long Road Turns to Joy,"
      published by Parallax Press.
      posted by Sherab to Daily Dharma

      Dear Durga,
      The darshan story is so precious.
      Strangely I thought once there was no need for me to travel to
      Ramana's ashram to India once I found him without ever traveling to
      One day all this changed and I want now to take the travel. This
      change of mind came by such a roundabout way.
      There is a rabbi in Jerusalem whom I go to see once in a while.
      I never thought I would go to see a rabbi, but that is another story.
      There is a power or energy that flows through him to a person whose
      hand he holds. I like to sit there, and see how people come burdened
      with problems and leave the room in good spirits and energized by I
      don't know what force, he just holds the person's hand if it is a man
      or holds his hand parralel to the other person's hand if it is a
      woman. He laughs all the time, people pour out what terrible burdens
      or problems or pains they have. I can't have enough of it when I see
      how people look when they enter the room and what a transformation
      they suffer. He knows nothing of self-realization, has no interest in
      ever leaving the city, knowing other traditions, knowing the world,
      travelling or such, just holds the other person's hand and enjoys
      that a man that enters his room with a pain leaves that room without
      it or at least diminished.
      I like to see him because I like to see such people who are happy for
      their fellow men when these are able to put down a pain and get cured
      of it.
      This is what I think is the divine in the character of man: to be
      happy to cure his fellow men of trouble, to be happy with the one
      that wishes to share with him both his suffering and his happiness.
      He is a very orthodox rabbi but since he one day realized that people
      around him got cured of all kind of diseases, he accepted it as a
      gift from God and decided that what is God given has to be shared
      undiscriminately to all. That is why those who are used to see around
      orthodox rabbis only orthodox Jews would be surprised to discover
      that people who come to see him not all of them are orthodox Jews or
      that they are not Jews at all.
      One day I wanted to go and see him, and I arrived about half an hour
      before he did. I entered the empty room and sat down, happy I could
      have some rest. I don't know how long it took me to sense the air
      vibrating with an energizing force.
      And with my next thought I turned to Ramana: "you brought me to a
      rabbi to make me feel that the air can vibrate with divine life
      and presence, to make me understand the devotees stories who travel
      to the ashram and feel the air vibrating with your presence."
      So many devotees stories turned out to be suddenly different from
      what I had believed they were before.
      I hope to be able to travel some day, although I am apparently so
      tied by family obligations, job and more, and no opening seems
      possible. I hope to live the day when I'll sit in the meditation
      hall, feeling what that air has to reveal.

      posted by Viorica Weissman to HarshaSatsangh

      To understand what you have received, you have to give. The willingness to
      give and receive is a boon.   Gratitude moistens the heart and when the heart
      is moistened in this way, the virtues grow.
      ~  Gurumayi Chidvilasananda
      posted to Morning Zen

      Caterpillar Satsang
      from Alice in Wonderland
      The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.
      `Who are you?' said the Caterpillar.
      This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, `I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'
      `What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. `Explain yourself!'
      `I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, `because I'm not myself, you see.'
      `I don't see,' said the Caterpillar.
      `I'm afraid I can't put it more clearly,' Alice replied very politely, `for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.'
      `It isn't,' said the Caterpillar.
      `Well, perhaps you haven't found it so yet,' said Alice; `but when you have to turn into a chrysalis--you will some day, you know--and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you'll feel it a little queer, won't you?'
      `Not a bit,' said the Caterpillar.
      `Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,' said Alice; `all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.'
      `You!' said the Caterpillar contemptuously. `Who are you?'
      posted by Aly to nondualnow

      Life is like coming in too late for a film,
      Trying to find out what happened,
      without bothering a lot of people with a lot of questions,
      And then being suddenly called away
      before you know how the film ends.
      [Joseph Campbell]

      One of the questions with which you could bother
      the other people at the movie is: What is trust?
      You will find an attempt to answer this question in this new Amigo.