#2174 - Wednesday, June 15, 2005

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2174 Wednesday, June 15, 2005

      When "what isn't" is chosen over "what is,"
      then things appear to move.

      Movement, however, doesn't necessarily mean
      that things are changing, and it certainly doesn't
      mean that anything is being "improved."

      The Great Mystery is discovered only in seeing
      the inaction within the action... and, at the same
      time, seeing the action within the inaction.

      - Chuck Hillig, from Seeds for the Soul

      When we talk about resting in prajnaparameta, in unconditional bodhichitta, what are we asking of ourselves? We are being encouraged to remain open to the present groundless moment, to a direct, unarmored participation with our experience. We are certainly not being asked to trust that everything is going to be all right. Moving in the direction of nothing to hold on to is daring. We will not initially experience it as a thrilling, alive, wonderful way to be. How many of us feel ready to interrupt our habitual patterns, our almost instinctual ways of getting comfortable.

      - Pema Chödrön, from The Places That Scare You,, published by Shambhala, posted to DailyDharma

      When does gold ore become gold? When it is put through a process of fire. So the human being during the training becomes as pure as gold through suffering. It is the burning away of the dross. Suffering has a great redeeming quality. As a drop of water falling on the desert sand is sucked up immediately, so we must become nothing and nowhere ... we must disappear.

      - Bhai Sahib, quoted in Travelling the Path of Love, edited by Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

      Because a human being considers himself an individual, he suffers pain and pleasure; only in the state of consciousness there is no such question of happiness or unhappiness--these are experienced only at the body-mind level. I have transcended this state of body-mind--that is, the individual state--and am talking to you from the dynamic manifest consciousness. The very concept that 'good' or 'bad' is going to happen is completely wiped out from me. Also, I do not have any concepts regarding birth and death.

      Total loss of pride in individuality is my nirvana; that is, the state of non-identity. You carry out all your worldly and spiritual activities with an identity. So long as your individuality is not lost, you will be bothered by pleasure and pain, past and future, birth and death, etc.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj from The Nectar of Immortality, posted to JustThis

      Reality as it is becomes the right view of the meditator. Thinking of it as it is becomes the right thought. Awareness of it as it is becomes the right awareness. Concentration on it as it is becomes the right concentration. Actions of the body and speech are then aligned to reality as it is. In this way the meditator develops and is fulfilled.

      - Majjhima Nikaya from Buddha Speaks, edited by Anne Bancroft, posted to MillionPaths

      Awareness is who you are
      - Universal Absolute Awareness is who you are -
      localized in a particular nervous system
      is called incarnation...
      beautiful wondrous experience.

      Gangaji, posted to The_Now2

      .