#2172 - Monday, June 13, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13 9:14 PM
      Nondual Highlights
      #2172 - Monday, June 13, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      For every complex and difficult problem, there
      is a solution that is simple, straightforward, and wrong.

            H. L. Mencken

      The link to ConsciousOneness, featured in my last issue, somehow disappeared.
      Also, should mention it is only one message a week, for those whose in boxes overfloweth.

      Dutch parking lot...

      flat country, frugal folk, lots of bikes...

      photo by Sam Pasiencier

      Gill Eardley closed her 3 Yahoo groups and opened a new forum. For anyone who misses the Rumi to Hafiz poetry and Allspirit Inspiration quotes, you can read them from this forum. I like the organization by subjects and threads. It is very easy to navigate and also to find what interests you. Or join and contribute your own favorites. Here is the link.

      People travel to wonder at the height of mountains,
      at the huge waves of the sea,
      at the long courses of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean,
      at the circular motion of the stars;
      And they pass by themselves without wondering.

      ~St Augustine

      posted by Lee

      ________________

      The Buddha said that the past is gone and the future is not yet here. Let us not regret the past. Let us not worry about the future. Go back to the present moment and live deeply the present moment. Because the present moment is the only moment where you can touch life. Life is available only in the present moment. That is why walking meditation is to go back to the present moment, in order to be alive again and to touch life deeply in that moment. In order to be able to touch the earth with our feet and enjoy walking, we have to establish ourselves firmly in the present moment, in the here and the now.

      ~Thich Nhat Hanh

      posted by Gill Eardley

      ________________

      Since ancient times, spiritual masters of all traditions have pointed to the Now as the key to the spiritual dimension. Despite this, it seems to have remained a secret. It is certainly not taught in churches and temples. If you go to a church, you may hear readings from the Gospels, such as, "Take no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for things of itself" or "Nobody who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the Kingdom of heaven". Or you may hear the passage about the beautiful flowers who are not anxious about tomorrow, but live with ease in the timeless now and are provided for abundantly by God. The true nature of these teachings is not recognized. No one seems to realize that they were meant to be lived and thereby bring about profound inner transformation.
      - Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now

      posted by Helmut Reichardt

      ________________

      The only people for me are the mad ones,
      the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
      mad to be saved; the ones who never yawn
      or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn,
      like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like
      spiders across the stars.

      ~Jack Kerouac

      posted by Gill Eardley

      If your knowledge of fire has been turned
      to certainty by words alone,
      then seek to be cooked by the fire itself.
      Don't abide in borrowed certainty.
      There is no real certainty until you burn;
      if you wish for this, sit down in the fire.

      -- Mathnawi II:860-861

      Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski
      "Rumi: Daylight"

      "The 'secret' of life that we are all looking for
      is just this: to develop through sitting and
      daily life practice the power and courage to
      return to that which we have spent a lifetime
      hiding from, to rest in the bodily experience of
      the present moment - even if it is a feeling of
      being humiliated, of failing, or abandonment, of
      unfairness."
      ~Charolotte Joko Beck

      From the book, "The Places That Scare You," by
      Pema Chödrön, published by Shambhala.

      The postings of this group are from the material of Anthony de Mello's books. The title of the group is a combination of the names of two of his popular books.

      If you use your mind to study reality, you won't understand
      either your mind or reality. If you study reality without using
      your mind, you'll understand both. People capable of true
      vision, know that the mind is empty.

            Bodhidharma

      _______________

      An art writer was giving a lecture at the
      monastery.

      "Art is found in a museum," he said, "but beauty
      is found everywhere, in the air, on the ground,
      all over the place, free for the taking -- with no
      name attached to it."

      "Exactly like spirituality," said the Master the
      following day when he was alone with his
      disciples. "its symbols are found in the museum
      called a temple, but its substance is everywhere,
      free for the taking, unrecognized, with no name
      attached to it.'

      Anthony de Mello, S.J.

      _______________

      "How does one seek union with God?"

      "The harder you seek, the more distance you create between
      Him and you."

      "So what does one do about the distance?"

      "Understand that it isn't there."

      "Does that mean that God and I are one?"

      "Not one.  Not two."

      "How is that possible?"

      "The sun and its light, the ocean and the wave, the singer and
      his song -- not one.  Not two."

      Anthony de Mello

      MORSEL:  It is a puzzling thing.  The truth knocks on the door
      and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth . . . and so it
      goes away.  Puzzling.    Robert M. Pirsig