#2168 - Wednesday, June 8, 2005

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2168 Wednesday, June 8, 2005

      The Teacher will not be recognized by the diamonds on his head or by the number of students he has. Know the Teacher to be the One whose presence gives you Peace and removes all the craving, attachment, and desire. The Jnani's torch burns down the house of false convictions, but as Kabir says, nobody takes this fire.

      - Papaji, from The Truth Is, posted to AlongTheWay

      Men are afraid to forget their minds,
      fearing to fall through the Void with
      nothing to stay their fall.
      They do not know that the Void is not
      really void ...
      but the realm of the real Dharma.

      - Huang Po, from Zen Teaching of Huang Po, posted to SufiMystic

      Go within. The outer world neither can help nor hinder. No system, no pattern of action will take you to your goal. Give up all working for a future, concentrate totally on the now, be concerned only with your response to every movement of life as it happens.

      - Nisargadatta, posted to JustThis

      You Are That Which Never Moves

      One day Bhagavan was looking at me intently and said: "It looks as if you are still hankering after meditation."

      I replied: "What have I got except endless work in the kitchen?"

      Bhagavan said with deep feeling:

      "Your hands may do the work but your mind can remain still. You are that which never moves. Realize that and you will find that work is not a strain.

      But as long as you think that you are the body and that the work is done by you, you will feel your life to be an endless toil.

      In fact it is the mind that toils, not the body. Even if your body keeps quiet, will your mind keep quiet too? Even in sleep the mind is busy with its dreams."

      I replied : "Yes, Swami, it is as natural for you to know that you are not your body as it is for us to think that we are the body....Why can't I remember always that I am not the body?"

      "Because you haven't had enough of it." He smiled.

      - Ramana Smriti, from "The Maharshi", March/April 2002, Vol. 12 - No. 2, posted to MillionPaths

      You Are the Only Student You Have

      You are the only faithful student you have.
      All the others leave eventually.

      Have you been making yourself shallow
      with making others eminent?

      Just remember, when you're in union,
      you don't have to fear
      that you'll be drained.

      The command comes to speak,
      and you feel the ocean
      moving through you.
      Then comes, Be silent,
      as when the rain stops,
      and the trees in the orchard
      begin to draw moisture
      up into themselves.

      - Rumi from Mathnawi, V,, version by Coleman Barks, Feeling the Shoulder of the Lion,, posted to Sunlight

      .