#2166 - Monday, June 6, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2005
      Monet Refuses the Operation -- Lisel Mueller

      The Nondual Highlights
      #2166 - Monday, June 6, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

      Monet Refuses the Operation

      Doctor, you say that there are no haloes
      around the streetlights in Paris
      and what I see is an aberration
      caused by old age, an affliction.
      I tell you it has taken me all my life
      to arrive at the vision of gas lamps as angels,
      to soften and blur and finally banish
      the edges you regret I don't see,
      to learn that the line I called the horizon
      does not exist and sky and water,
      so long apart, are the same state of being.
      Fifty-four years before I could see
      Rouen cathedral is built
      of parallel shafts of sun,
      and now you want to restore
      my youthful errors: fixed
      notions of top and bottom,
      the illusion of three-dimensional space,
      wisteria separate
      from the bridge it covers.
      What can I say to convince you
      the Houses of Parliament dissolve
      night after night to become
      the fluid dream of the Thames?
      I will not return to a universe
      of objects that don't know each other,
      as if islands were not the lost children
      of one great continent.  The world
      is flux, and light becomes what it touches,
      becomes water, lilies on water,
      above and below water,
      becomes lilac and mauve and yellow
      and white and cerulean lamps,
      small fists passing sunlight
      so quickly to one another
      that it would take long, streaming hair
      inside my brush to catch it.
      To paint the speed of light!
      Our weighted shapes, these verticals,
      burn to mix with air
      and changes our bones, skin, clothes
      to gases.  Doctor,
      if only you could see
      how heaven pulls earth into its arms
      and how infinitely the heart expands
      to claim this world, blue vapor without end.

      ~ Lisel Mueller ~

      (Sixty Years of American Poetry, The Academy of American Poets)

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "Be empty of all mental content, of all imagination and effort, and
      the very absence of obstacles will cause reality to rush in."

      from A Net of Jewels

      If you look for the truth outside yourself,
      it gets farther and farther away.

      Today, walking alone,
      I meet him everywhere I step.

      He is the same as me,
      yet I am not him.

      Only if you understand it in this way
      will you merge with the way things are.

            Tung-shan

      from Awareness - the Way to Love

      Better
      than if there were thousands
      of meaningless verses is
      one
      meaningful
      verse
      that on hearing
      brings peace.

      And better than chanting hundreds
      of meaningless verses is
      one Dhamma-saying
      that on hearing
      brings peace.

      -Dhammapada, 8, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

      Men are afraid to forget their minds,
      fearing to fall through the Void with nothing to stay their fall.
      They do not know that the Void is not really void, but the realm of the real Dharma.

      -Huang Po, "Zen Teaching of Huang Po"
      From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt

      I am more convinced than ever that I just don't know.

      The paradox is that I really do know.

      Both must be fully true.

      Completely.

      So, knowing becomes recognition, honoring.

      Not knowing becomes humility.

      And humility opens the door to recognition and honoring.

      In that there is no paradox. It makes perfect sense, yet it is only a small shift in
      meaning of words that we might generally take to have the same meaning.

      But the nuance, the poetry, the truth of them is subtle, beautiful.

      The poetry and beauty are in the wondering of it all.

      I do love wonder. It comes out of the humility which comes from not knowing,
      and the recognition that is beyond understanding.

      Emanations
      Copyright © 2005  by John MacEnulty
      6/3/05, St. Louis, MO
      Emanations is now a BLOG at http://emanations.blog-city.com/