#2159 - Monday, May 30, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005

      The Nondual Highlights
      #2159 - Monday, May 30, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

      - Vincent Van Gogh

      From: www.beliefnet.com

      photo by Alan Larus, and more: http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/ants.htm

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "When you have understood that all existence,in separation and
      limitation, is painful, and when you are willing and able to live
      integrally,in oneness with all life, as pure being, you have gone
      beyond all need of help. You can help another by precept and example
      and, above all, by your being. You cannot give what you do not have
      and you don't have what you are not. You can only give what you are -
      and of that you can give limitlessly."

      "But why worry so much about causation? What do causes matter, when
      things themselves are transient? Let come what comes and let go what
      goes - why catch hold of things and enquire about their causes?"

      "What happens to the body and the mind may not be within your power to
      change, but you can always put an end to your imagining yourself to be
      body and mind. Whatever happens, remind yourself that only your body
      and mind are affected, not yourself."

      "True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."

      Socrates

      photo by Helga Piatscheck

      How You Treat Others

      Spiritual people often want unconditional support and understanding
      from their friends, family, and mates, but all too often seem blind
      to their own shortcomings when it comes to the amount of
      unconditional support and understanding that they give to others. I
      have seen many spiritual people become obsessed with how unspiritual
      others are and assume an arrogant and superior attitude while
      completely missing the fact that they themselves are not nearly as
      spiritually enlightened as they would like to think that they are.
      Enlightenment can be measured by how compassionately and wisely you
      interact with others; with all others, not just those who support you
      in the way that you want. How you interact with those who do not
      support you shows how enlightened you really are.

      As long as you perceive that anyone is holding you back you have not
      taken full responsibility for your own liberation. Liberation means
      that you stand free of making demands on others and life to make you
      happy. When you discover yourself to be nothing but Freedom, you stop
      setting up conditions and requirements that need to be satisfied in
      order for you to be happy. It is in the absolute surrender of all
      conditions and requirements that Liberation is discovered to be who
      and what you Are. Then the love and wisdom that flows out of you has
      a liberating effect on others.

      The biggest challenge for most spiritual seekers is to surrender
      their self importance, and see the emptiness of their own personal
      story. It is your personal story that you need to awaken from in
      order to be free. To give up being either ignorant or enlightened is
      the mark of liberation and allows you to treat others as your Self.
      What I am describing is the birth of true Love.

                                               - Adyashanti

      "Who Is Your Teacher?" by Kobun Chino

      The real purpose of practice is to discover the wisdom which you have always
      been keeping with you. To discover yourself is to discover wisdom; without
      discovering yourself you can never communicate with anybody. In everyday
      life, we can pick up some glimpse of wisdom, like the polished tool of the
      carpenter expresses that there is wisdom in the arm of the carpenter. It is
      invisible, you cannot draw it and show it.

      Wisdom doesn't come from anywhere; it is always there as the exact
      contents of awakening--it is always there and everywhere. What you can do is
      to uncover it, like going to the origin of a river, you take off the fallen
      leaves. Have you been to the source of a river? It is a very mystic place.
      You get dizzy when you stay for a while. An especially big river has several
      sources, and the real source, the farthest point which turns to the major
      stream, is moist and misty, with some kind of ancient smell, and you feel
      cold. You feel, "This isn't the place to go in." There is no springing
      water, so you don't know where the source is. Actually, such place exists in
      everyone; the center of us is like that. From this place, the ancient call
      appears, "Why don't you know me? Living so many years with me, why can't you
      call my real name?"

      Unfortunately, we cannot travel into such place with this body and mind, but
      we feel there is such an origin, and from there everything starts. From that
      place you have come, actually, and whatever you do is returning to that
      spot. In one lifetime you can meet with other people, at least one other
      beside yourself. So, in other words, two of you discover. This is why you
      are continuing to live so hard.

      The way to discover your origin is to listen to the one with whom you feel,
      "This is it!". It looks like you can do it by yourself, without others, but
      actually, by yourself alone you cannot discover that origin. Reaching to
      that point, you never believe, "This is it." But pointing to another's
      origin directly and saying, "That's my origin." at that moment another
      finger appears, pointing at you, and says, "No, that's my origin." And you
      get dizzy. "Wait a minute, are you my teacher or are you my student?" And
      both say, " No, it doesn't matter. I can be your student; I'll be an ancient
      Buddha for you." The student says this to the teacher. Without throwing your
      whole life and body into others you can never reach to your own true nature.

      The more your understanding of life becomes clearer, and more exact, and
      painfully joyful, the more you feel, "I'm so bad." The one who appears and
      says, "No, you are not bad at all, that is the way to go." That is your
      teacher. Don't misunderstand, this teacher is not always a person. It can
      embrace you like morning dew in a field, and you get a strange feeling, "Oh,
      this is it, my teacher is this field."

      How to go with your true self is to deeply bow to yourself and ask, "Please,
      let me know about myself." Because we cannot do it alone, we have to do it
      with someone who is able to accept our vow. Letting such an occasion occur
      is what supreme awakening is. It is not your creation, you just admire the
      place where you are and be with it, and that place is the place to meet with
      your teacher. It doesn't need to be some special kind of place. When you are
      a little bit mindful about yourself you can create such an opportunity . . .
      between your children and yourself, between your parents and yourself.

      Kobun Chino Roshi

      [Thanks to Barbara King for supplying text from Kobun Chino Roshi's talks.
      First published in "JIKOJI News", Spring 1997]

      In 1966 Kobun Chino Otagawa Roshi came
      to USA in assistance of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
      at San Francisco Zen Center and Sokoji, a
      Soto Zen Temple in San Francisco.

      Kobun Chino Roshi was Abbot of Jikoji
      (Los Gatos, CA), Hokoji (Taos, New Mexico)
      and Kaikyoshi of the Soto School in the USA.
      He died in 2002.

      Kobun Chino's Trailer
      By Reginald Ray

      Reginald Ray writes a remembrance of Zen master and famed calligrapher
      Kobun Chino Roshi, who died tragically with his young daughter in July, 2002.

      On July 26, 2002, Kobun Chino Roshi drowned trying to save his five-year-old daughter Maya, who had fallen into a pond. The deaths of father and daughter were a terrible blow¬ófirst to his wife and two small surviving children, then to his immediate students, and beyond that to all who had come to know Kobun and love him for his gentleness, his warmth and the profundity of his realization.