#2125 - Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Mind Wanting More -- Holly Hughes

      Mind Wanting More

      Only a beige slat of sun

      above the horizon, like a shade pulled

      not quite down.  Otherwise,

      clouds.  Sea rippled here and

      there.  Birds reluctant to fly.

      The mind wants a shaft of sun to

      stir the grey porridge of clouds,

      an osprey to stitch sea to sky

      with its barred wings, some dramatic

      music: a symphony, perhaps

      a Chinese gong.

      But the mind always

      wants more than it has --

      one more bright day of sun,

      one more clear night in bed

      with the moon; one more hour

      to get the words right; one

      more chance for the heart in hiding

      to emerge from its thicket

      in dried grasses -- as if this quiet day

      with its tentative light weren't enough,

      as if joy weren't strewn all around.

      ~ Holly Hughes ~

      (America Zen A Gathering of Poets)

      The Nondual Highlights
      #2125 - Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

                           “In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it,
      and
       those who accept dogma and don't know it.”

      G K Chesterton

      Ordinary people have been revolving in circles since time immemorial,
      being born and dying. Because of clinging fixedly to self-images,
      false ideas, and misperceptions, the habits of illusion eventually
      become second nature to them. Even if they suddenly awaken in this
      life and realize that their essential nature is fundamentally empty
      and silent, no different from the Buddhas, nevertheless past habits
      are difficult to remove all at once.

      - Master Chinul (1158-1210)

      by hsin_shang ~ Advaita to Zen

      Spring Assault

      Tiny storm troopers in dazzling jumpsuits,
      Slaughtering thoughts, snatching attention-
      Wild spring flowers cascading down a hillside.

      Pete

      Huike asked: If there are people intent on seeking the Path of
      Enlightenment, what method should they practice, what method is most
      essential and concise?
      Bodhidharma answered: Let them just contemplate mind—this one method
      takes in all practices, and is indeed essential and concise.

      - Bodhidharma

      by hsin_shang ~ Advaita to Zen

      Here's one for the records.

      "As soon as you look at the world through an ideology
      you are finished. No reality fits ideology. Life is
      beyond that.

      That is why people are always searching for a meaning
      to life.

      But life has no meaning; it cannot have meaning
      because meaning is a formula; meaning is something
      that makes sense to the mind.

      Every time you make sense out of reality, you bump
      into something that destroys the sense you made.

      Meaning is only found when you go beyond meaning.
      Life only makes sense when you perceive it as mystery
      and it makes no sense to the conceptualizing mind".

      Anthony de Mello, SJ

      by Dave Sirjue ~ Advaita to Zen

      "Mind and body dropped off! exclaims Dogen in an ecstasy
      of release.  This state must be experienced by you all;
      its like piling fruit into a basket without a bottom,
      its like pouring water into a bowl with a hole in it."
      -Master Dogen

      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

      "I took a walk. Suddenly I stood still, filled with the
      realization that I had no body or mind.  All I could see
      was one great illuminating Whole - omnipresent, perfect,
      lucid and serene.  It was like as all-embracing mirror
      from which the mountains and rivers of the earth were
      projected...I felt clear and transparent."
      -Master Han Shan

      P: It's interested to note that certain victims of stroke
      claim to have lost awareness of their body, or of an
      arm or a leg, or even one side of the body.

      Some go as far as ignoring anything that happens to
      the right, or left. Obviously then, there is a brain center
      which gives us the sense of having a body. Maybe not
      only a stroke can affect that center, but certain satori
      experiences seem to do that too, at least temporarily.

      by Pedsie ~ Advaita to Zen

      A quote now from Anne Lamott's book "Plan B": "Saint Bette said that heaven
      is where people finally stop talking about their weight and what they look
      like. I feel grateful just to think of Bette Midler's being alive during my
      years on the planet... Gratitude, not understanding, is the secret to joy and
      equanimity. I prayed for the willingness to have very mild spiritual
      well-being. I didn't need to understand the hypostatic unity of the Trinity; I
      just needed to turn my life over to whoever came up with redwood trees." To
      which I say a hearty Amen.

      by Barbara ~ Allspirit

      There is only one way to know the Self,
      And that is to realize him yourself.

      The ignorant think the Self can be known
      By the intellect, but the illumined

      Know he is beyond the duality
      Of the knower and the known.

      -Kena Upanishad
      Excerpted from The Upanishads, translated by Eknath Easwaran, copyright 1987.