#2112 - Wednesday, April 13, 2005

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2112 Wednesday, April 13, 2005

      A Star Without a Name

      When a baby is taken from the wet nurse,
      it easily forgets her
      and starts eating solid food.

      Seeds feed awhile on ground,
      then lift up into the sun.

      So you should taste the filtered light
      and work your way toward wisdom
      with no personal covering.

      That's how you came here, like a star
      without a name. Move across the night sky
      with those anonymous lights.

      - Rumi, excerpt from the Mathnawi, Book III, version by Coleman Barks, posted to Sunlight

      Q: How can we get rid of fear?

      M: All fear is nothing more than thoughts. If there is only one, there cannot be a second to be afraid of. If we look to our Self, as it is one, there is nothing else to be afraid of. To think that there is something outside ourselves is the cause of fear, but if we are firmly rooted in our own reality, then there will be no fear, no doubt and no undesirable qualities, as all these are centered around the ego.

      The state of equanimity is the state of Bliss.

      Ramana Maharshi, from the book, Conscious Immortality posted to MillionPaths

      Discovering your true birthright
      Requires the persistence
      Of an aloof scientist,
      Gradually scraping away
      At the layers of conditioning.
      Until one day there is nothing left,
      And what you really are is quite apparent.

      - Michael J. Holshouser from The Stillness Before Time: Reflections from a Fellow Sojourner

      We talk a lot about human harmony, but where is it?

      The conductor of a symphony orchestra instructed his musicians to prepare to play a certain composition. Accordingly, the musicians placed the needed music on their stands. At the signal from the director the orchestra played—a horrible blast, shocking to ears. What went wrong? Each musician played his own preferred selection. While pretending to be part of the harmonious whole, each man actually played his secret and self-centered preference. That is why talk about human harmony is just talk. And that is why mankind suffers from shocking blasts.

      Somewhere along the line I need to make a breakthrough.

      Understand what I am about to tell you and there will be a major breakthrough. You are never made unhappy by a result that goes contrary to what you wanted. You are made unhappy by your very love of being negative over the result. You love and value the false feeling of life supplied by frustration. If you did not love feelings of frustration you would never be frustrated by anything.

      - Vernon Howard, from There is a Way Out

      The heart is comforted by true words,
      just as a thirsty man is comforted by water.

      - Rumi, posted to AlongTheWay