#2098 - Wednesday, March 30, 2005

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 10:24 PM

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2098 Wednesday, March 30, 2005

      .

      Kairos 36

      I buried us in a shallow grave at dawn
      tucked under the aloe spikes,
      those flowers thirsting for sun heat.

      Each dawn is a new death,
      a shedding of the skin,

      as the hours of yesterday fall away
      while our words turn to silence
      and the touch of hands fades.

      We died wrapped around each other
      in the night. We breathe this new day

      where all has changed, imperceptibly,
      a shift in the light, a turn of your head,
      a new note in your song, an urgency

      to our longing, and we live a lifetime
      in the sun’s crossing till again

      silence returns and our words die.
      Our love is this prayer of ourselves
      within each other, this dance

      of a thousand deaths followed by
      these daily rebirths into ecstasy.

      © Zen Oleary, March 29, 2005, posted to SufiMystic

      I keep weeping for you, my soul,
      good sir, gently trying to let you see
      the nature of what you love.

      Not even the shadow
      of an iron anchor
      will last from here.

      Remember the truth
      that you are.
      Remember,
      the truth that you are.

      - Lalla, from the book, Naked Song, translated by Coleman Barks, published by Maypop, posted to DailyDharma

      There is nothing to practice. To know
      yourself, be yourself. To be yourself,
      stop imagining yourself to be this or
      that. Just be. Let your true nature
      emerge. Don't disturb your mind with
      seeking.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That - Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to JustThis

      Buddha says the greatest joy in life is freedom: freedom from all prejudices, freedom from all scriptures, freedom from all concepts and ideologies, freedom from all desires, freedom from all possessiveness and jealousy, freedom from all hatred, anger, rage, lust... in short, freedom from everything, so that you are just a pure consciousness, unbounded, unlimited. That is the greatest joy, and it is possible -- it is within everybody's grasp. You just have to grope for it a little. The groping will be in the dark, but it is not far away. If you try, if you make an effort, you are bound to find it. It is your birthright.

      - Osho, posted to MillionPaths

      Those trees...
      hugging and kissing
      in the morning
      breeze

      Did you grow
      from a single seed
      that entered
      your soul?

      Or was it
      the wind...
      that split you
      in two...
      beneath the setting
      sun...

      till that phoenix
      alighted your branches
      and the two of you
      became one?

      Isn't it divine
      that you are
      entwined
      on this magnificent
      evolving earth,

      your love for each other
      growing deeper,
      beneath...
      the waxing moon;

      Silhouetted...
      by starlight,
      your leaves
      sing their evening song...

      And they burst
      into glorious color
      with the coming
      of the dawn

      Twirling to the earth
      they die,
      in the twinling of an eye,
      but the phoenix returns
      and new leaves
      are birthed,
      as the trees further merge
      into one.

      Douglas E. Fireman, July 20, 2003 posted to AdvaitaToZen

      All the worlds major religions stress the importance of cultivating love and compassion. In the Buddhist philosophical tradition, different levels of attainment are described. At a basic level, compassion is understood mainly in terms of empathy - our ability to enter into and, to some extent, share others' suffering. But Buddhists - and perhaps others - believe that this can be developed to such a degree that not only does our compassion arise without any effort, but it is unconditional, undifferentiated, and universal in scope. A feeling of intimacy toward all other sentient beings, including of course those who would harm us, is generated, which is likened in literature to the love a mother has for her only child.

      - His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, from the book, Ethics for the New Millennium, published by Riverhead Books, New York, posted to DailyDharma

      .