# 2094 - Saturday, March 26, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2005
      Nondual Highlights
      # 2094 - Saturday, March 26, 2005 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      We don't receive wisdom;
      we must discover it for ourselves
      after a journey that no one
      can take for us or spare us.

           - Marcel Proust

           The intellectual quest,
             though fine as pearl or coral,
             is not the spiritual search.
             That spiritual search is on another level.
             Spiritual wine is a different substance.

                            ~ Rumi

      posted to Along the Way

      It Cuts the Plow Reins

      What does Purity do?
      It cuts the plow reins.

      It frees you from working and dining
      In the mud.

      It frees you from living behind
      A big ox
      That is always breaking wind.

      What can Purity do, my dear?

      It can lift your heart
      On a rising, bucking Sun
      That makes the soul hunger
      To reach the roof of Creation.

      It offers what the whole world wants -
      Real Knowledge and Power

      It offers what the wise crave -
      The priceless treasure of Freedom.

      Pure Divine Love is no meek priest
      Or tight banker.
      It will smash all your windows
      And only then throw in the holy gifts.

      It will allow you to befriend
      Life and light and sanity -

      And not even mind waking
      To another day.

      'I Heard God Laughing - Renderings of Hafiz' by Daniel Ladinsky

      posted by Gill Eardley ~ Allspirit

      Christ and Ramana

      Banning Richardson

      from The Mountain Path, Jayanti Issue 2001

      It is a tenet of Hinduism that all spiritul paths lead to the
      same goal. In a broad sense this is true, but also it hides the
      truth. For if one has followed one religion or another, one
      Yoga or another, one has still in the end to go through the
      process of self-analysis, of inner search and surrender which is
      best described in our time by Sri Maharshi.
      In other words the 'goal' is not a goal but a path.
      When one has learnt everything that one can from one's inherited
      or acquired religion or spiritual discipline, one has to take
      this prized possession and cast it to one side - the most
      painful of acts - and, starting afresh, follow the simple,
      scientific method that the Saint of Arunachala teaches us.

      I have said that this saint is the greatest contemporary
      exponent of this age old teaching. This is as true for the
      scientific minded Westerner as it is for the Easterner.

      Dr. Jung writes, "The identification of a Self with God will
      strike the European as shocking. It is a speciphically oriental
      Realization, as expressed in Sri Ramana's utterances.'

      No doubt such identification is shocking to the Western Christian
      or other orthodox religionist, but as I have implied, it is
      consonant with Christ's teachings, if they are approached afresh
      without prejudice.

      If one examines the New Testament carefully one finds
      that Christ is trying to convince a fanatically
      monotheistic people that God could inhabit human form for a
      special purpose, and that the nature of God was not something
      different from man's but that one could see the image of
      God in a perfect man.

      And he proclaimed himself to be a perfect being who had presided
      over human destiny since the world began. This in itself was an
      overwhelming dose for the orthodox Jew to swallow.

      One would not therefore expect that Christ would go farther
      and show that this Perfect Being is latent in every man ,
      because God is in every man. But in fact he does say this
      by implification, and sometimes directly, throughout his

      Take for instance - "The kingdom of God cometh not with
      observation; Neither shall they say, Lo here ! Or lo
      there! For behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."

      In other words his first lesson was, 'Heaven is within
      you and it is a spiritual state, not a material place."

      Having made this clear, he goes on to say, "Be ye therefore perfect,
      even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.'
      Thus he was saying in fact,  "God dwells within you; you can become
       perfect like Him. '
      This was a revolutionary teaching , and its full implications are
      understood only if one comes into touch with the teachings of
      Ramakrishna or a Sri Maharshi."
       But Christ went even farther than this. In verses 33-36 of the
       tenth chapter of St. John's Gospel we read -
      "Jesus answered them(the Jews): Is it not
      written in your law,I said,Ye are gods?"

      "If he called them gods, unto whom the
      word of God came, and the scripture
      cannot be broken; say ye of him,
      whom the Father has sanctified, and sent
      into the world, Thou blasphemest;
      because I said, I am the son of God?"

      So we might ask today, do you acuse Sri Maharshi of blasphemy for saying that
      the True Man within us is God, when Christ was executed on the same charge 2,000
      years ago? Just because the church has petrified his teaching, as Judaism before
      has petrified the teaching of the Prophets, do you expect those who feel God stirring
      within them to join the mob who cry 'Blasphemy ' ?
      And to pursue this argument a little farther in order to reveal
      the basic similarity of Jesus Christ's and Bhagavan Maharshi's
      teachings, one remembers that Christ answered the rich, young
      man who came to him and asked, "Good master, what shall I
      do that I may inherit eternal life', by saying "Why callest thou
      me good? There is none good but one, that is God'.

      This, taken with the quotations already mentioned, clearly
      shows that he believed that God was in all men and that all men
      could attain the perfection that he, Christ, himself revealed,
      through following his path - i.e., actively loving God and one's
      fellowmen , and knowing that the Kingdom of Heaven is
      within each one of us.

      posted by Viorica Weissman ~ MillionPaths

      Truth has to appear only once in a single mind,

      for it to be impossible

      ever to prevent it

      from spreading universally

      and setting everything ablaze.

      ~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
      Heart of Matter

      Posted by Jani Roxburgh ~The_Now 2

      Those who argue and discuss without understanding the truth are lost amid all the forms of relative knowledge, running about here and there and trying to justify their view of the substance of ego.

      If you realize the self in your inmost consciousness, it will appear in its purity. This is the womb of wonder, which is not the realm of those who live only by reason.

      Pure in its own nature and free from the categories of finite and infinite, Universal Mind is the undefiled wonder, which is wrongly apprehended by many.

      ~ Lankavatara Sutra
      From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000

      ‘Lost in the woods I snapped off a dark branch’

      VI From: ‘Cien sonetos de amor’

      Lost in the woods, I snapped off a dark branch

      and, lifted its murmur, in thirst, to my lips:

      perhaps the weeping voice of the rain,

      a shattered bell, or a broken heart.

      It came to me, something out of far distance,

      deeply concealed, and hidden by Earth,

      a cry, defeated by immense autumns,

      by half-opened moistness of shadowy leaves.

      But waking out of the wood’s dream there,

      that hazel branch sang under my tongue,

      and its vagrant perfume rose to my mind

      as if suddenly roots I had long abandoned

      searched me, the lost domains of childhood,

      and held me, wounded by wandering fragrance.

      ~ Pablo Neruda

      posted by Zen Oleary ~ Allspirit