#2093 - Friday, March 25, 2005 - Editor: michael

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2005
      #2093 - Friday, March 25, 2005 - Editor: michael

      ENLIGHTENMENT

      a google search on the word enlightenment
      returned over 4 million 600 hundred thousand hits

      http://www.thegoldenfrog.com/enlightenment.htm?
      c1=Enlightenment&source=Google&kw=enlightenment

      Throughout history, there have been some saints who behave in a
      fully unattached manner on the personality level of their being.
      Their devotees had to hit them with sticks so they wouldn't wander
      off into the jungle. They had to be force fed because they
      were "free from all desire," even the desire for food and
      sustenance. Let's assume for a moment they were awake at the deepest
      level of their being. Even if that were the case, they were still
      functioning in an unintegrated manner. Their personality was not
      functioning in a healthy way. They were living a dissociative state.
      Since they were, perhaps, awake to that deepest level of their
      being, one may choose to call them enlightened. Because the state is
      so unhealthy and unnatural, I prefer not to refer to it as
      enlightenment. But this is a matter of semantics. If someone were to
      insist these saints were enlightened because they were awake to that
      deepest level, I would offer no strong objection. What is most
      important to me is that the bigger picture is understood. A healthy
      state of enlightenment is an integrated state where people are awake
      to the deepest levels of existence, yet concurrently function quite
      naturally and appear perfectly normal around other people.

      © Michael Mamas, 12/04

      -------------------

      "A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part
      limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and
      feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical
      delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for
      us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a
      few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from
      this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all
      living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

      - Albert Einstein

      ----------------------

      However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good
      will they do you if you do not act upon them? -The Buddha

      ------------------------------------

      http://www.bliss-music.com/enlightenment.htm

      Notes on Spiritual Enlightenment

      How to attain self realization

      There is only one thing ever to point to for your own freedom.

      And it's not a thing, it is this moment. This is where your focus
      should rest. Not today, not this hour, not this minute nor this
      second, it is much more simple than that. It is right now, this
      very moment. To allow everything to be as it is just now. To be
      present with what is right now.

      And right now you exist. Right now, there is a feeling of being.
      In this moment without referring to your thoughts there is this
      undeniable sense that you are. Notice this. Not "you are a
      person" or "your are" anything at all. But simply being. It is
      indescribable, indefinable, but it is you. If thoughts come, let
      them come, let them go. If feelings are there let them be. Don't
      resist anything. Don't even resist the resistance. Because if you
      resist this moment, if you think it should be other than it is, then
      you are at war with this moment. And no matter how hard you try and
      manipulate your world in this moment to be the way you would like it
      to be, it will only be the way that it is.

      So you either are resting in this moment or you are fighting this
      moment. You are living as "I am" or your are living as "I want."
      To be here in this moment, or to be lost in your thoughts. You
      can't have both. Freedom or limitation. This present moment, or
      your endless commentary about who you think you are, where you have
      been and where you are going. Can you let everything be in this
      moment? Can you stop trying to change and control your world and
      instead, simply rest with me right now? Just for this second, can
      you let go and rest in what is here and now?

      Don't worry if you are doing it right or wrong. Just be here with
      me. Notice this moment. Notice that in this moment you exist.
      That you cannot deny this feeling that you are. That it is here, it
      is now and you are. Very simple. Are you still here? If not, just
      come back, keep coming back and all is peaceful again Keep coming
      back and you will see that you never actually left. What else is
      there besides now? Isn't it all thoughts outside of now? Isn't it
      all your imagination outside of now? Let all of that go for just
      this moment. This is all that there is and the only thing. This
      moment is freedom itself, bliss itself, love itself. So incredibly
      intoxicating. So nurturing. This moment is you. And the you-ness
      goes on forever. Now is forever. So easy and so simple. Too
      simple for thinking. It's too subtle to be figured out or defined.
      It is you and you alone.

      And if you find this hard, simply ask yourself "Who am I?" In this
      moment, who are you? This question simply takes out the thinking
      you and all that is left is this feeling of being, of just
      watching. All that is left is this moment. Ask this over and
      over. "Who am I? Who am I?" The question takes you immediately
      back to now.

      Or you can just surrender. Surrender to everything that is
      happening right here and right now. Let all of your fixing,
      wanting, needing, controlling go. What will be left is just this
      moment. Just you. If there is emotion let the emotion be. If
      there is pain, let the pain be. Feel it completely in this moment,
      don't label it, judge it or resist it. If you let it be completely
      you will see that pain is delicious, that emotions are delicious.
      Because in this moment there is only you and you alone. And you are
      love itself. You are bliss itself. You are presence itself. You
      are consciousness.

      No guru or teacher can give you this. They can point and provide an
      energetic to assist you but you alone have to let go of who you
      think you are and rest in this moment. No improving your mind or
      body will bring you to now. Because now is what you are. You just
      have to look. Are you still here? Are you still present? Breathe
      with me here. Sit with me here. Stop trying to fix what needs not
      fixing. Stop trying to get into a meditative state, or to be
      peaceful. Just be, and in the being, the one that resists is no
      more.

      And if you rest here, you will see that everything is happening by
      itself. That thoughts come by themselves, that action comes by
      itself. That everything is moving along just fine without out you
      pretending to control everything. And then you can rest in this
      moment, you can dive deeply, unceasingly into this moment and
      disappear into the sweet nectar of silence.

      Dear Friends,

      Be well.

      Michael