#2083 - Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2005

      Nondual Highlights

      #2083 - Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

      Star Without a Name

      "When a baby is taken from the wet nurse,

      it easily forgets her

      and starts eating solid food.

      Seeds feed awhile on ground,

      then lift up into the sun.

      So you should taste the filtered light

      and work your way toward wisdom

      with no personal covering.

      That's how you came here, like a star

      without a name.  Move across the night sky

      with those anonymous lights."

               ~Rumi

      posted by Anipachen to Daily Dharma

      Problems

      “We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems.”

      John W. Gardner

      “If you cannot solve it, it is not a problem — it is reality.”

      Barbara Coloroso

      “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies — all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.”

      Steve Martin

      "I have a horror of people who speak about the beautiful. What is the beautiful? One must speak of problems in painting!"

      Picasso

      "A collective problem, if not recognized as such, always appears as a personal problem."

      Carl Gustav Jung

      “Letting your mind play is the best way to solve problems. A playful mind is inquisitive, and learning is fun. If you indulge your natural curiosity and retain a sense of fun in new experience, I think you'll find it functions as a sort of shock absorber for the bumpy road ahead.”

      Bill Watterson

      posted on AlphaWorld

      This is the beginning of chapter 10: Meditation and concentration -  taken from BE AS YOU ARE - THE TEACHINGS OF SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI - edited by David Godman

      The best meditation is that which continues in all the three states. It must be so intense that it does not give room even to the thought `I am meditating'.

      Having made the liking to see through the deceitful senses subside, and having thereby ended the objective knowing of the mind, the jumping ego, to know the lightless light and the soundless sound in the Heart is the true power of yoga [yoga-shakti].

      Posted by Viorica Weissman to MillionPaths

      Ikkyu --Crow With No Mouth

      a well nobody dug filled with no water
      ripples and a shapeless weightless man drinks
      oh green green willow wonderfully red flower
      but I know the colors are not there

      my gray cat jumped up just as I lifted this spoon
      we're born we die

      if there's nowhere to rest at the end
      how can I get lost along the way?

      that stone Buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets
      I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind

      I won't die I won't go away I'll always be here
      no good asking me I won't speak

      only a kind deadly sincere man
      can show you the way here in the other world

      melons eggplants rice rivers the sky
      I offer them to you on this holiday

      oh yes things exist like the echo when you yell at the foot of a
      huge mountain

      hear the cruel no-answer until blood drips down
      beat your head against the wall of it

      the mind is exactly this tree that grass
      without thought or feeling both disappear

      not two not one either
      and the unpainted breeze in the ink painting feels cool

      go down on your silly knees pray
      for what? tomorrow is yesterday

      I found my sparrow Sonrin dead one morning
      and buried him just as gently as I would my own daughter

      I hate it I know it's nothing but I
      suck out the world's sweet juicy plum

      why is it all so beautiful this fake dream
      this craziness why?

      it's logical: if you are not going anywhere
      any road is the right one

      know nothing I know nothing nobody does can you face me
      and know nothing know

      stare at it until your eyes drop out
      this desk this wall this unreal page

      only one koan matters
      you

      you stand inside me naked infinite love
      the dawn bell rips my dreaming heart

      we're lost where the mind can't find us
      utterly lost

      Ikkyu this body isn't yours I say to myself
      wherever I am I'm there
      ten fussy days running this temple all red tape
      look me up if you want to in the bar whorehouse fish market

      nature's a killer I won't sing to it
      I hold my breath and listen to the dead singing under the grass

      suddenly nothing but grief
      so I put on my father's old ripped raincoat

      when I was forty-seven everybody came to see me
      so I walked out forever

      my monk friend has a weird endearing habit
      he weaves sandals and leaves them secretly by the roadside

      a crazy lecher shuttling back and forth between whorehouse and bar
      this past master paints south north east west with his cock

      no nothing only those wintry crows
      bright black in the sun

      peace isn't luck for six years stand facing a silent wall
      until the you of your face melts like a candle

      don't hesitate get laid that's wisdom
      sitting around chanting what crap

      life's like climbing knife-tree hills with swords sticking up
      day and night something stabs you

      we live in a cage of light an incredible cage
      animals animals without end

      sick of it whatever it's called sick of the names
      I dedicate every pore to what's here

      inside the koan clear mind
      gashes the great darkness

      ten years of whorehouse joy I'm alone now in the mountains
      the pines are like a jail the wind scratches my skin

      the wise know nothing at all
      well maybe one song

      men are like cows horses fuck poetry
      look at your hand read it

      I woke from a dream of death to day's amazing
      death grass death rice death chairs death death asleep or
      awake

      no words sitting alone night in my hut eyes closed hands open
      wisps of an unknown face

      my death? who was it anyway always where he was never
      no not once ever seeing himself an eyeball speaks

      ~ Ikkyu, from "Crow With No Mouth," translated by Stephen Berg

      posted by Mazie Lane on unsaymyself