#2079 Friday, March 11, 2004 editor: michael

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12 8:17 AM
      Nondual Highlights Issue #2079 Friday, March 11, 2004 editor: michael

      Dear Friends,

      All is one though it appears as the many.

      peace and prosperity,

      michael

      ---------------------------------

      - found on the meditationsocietyofamerica yahoo group -

      Lunch with God

      A little boy wanted to meet God. He knew it was a long
      trip to where God lived, so he packed his suitcase
      with a bag of potato chips and a six-pack of root beer
      and started his journey.

      When he had gone about three blocks, he met an old woman.
      She was sitting in the park, just staring at some pigeons.
      The boy sat down next to her and opened his suitcase.
      He was about to take a sip from his root beer when he
      noticed that the old lady looked hungry, so he offered
      her some chips. She gratefully accepted then and smiled at him.

      Her smile was so pretty that the boy wanted to see it again,
      so he offered her a root beer. Again, she smiled at him.
      The boy was delighted! They sat there all afternoon eating and
      smiling, but they never said a word. As twilight approached,
      the boy realized how tired he was and he got up to leave.
      But before he had gone more than a few steps, he turned around,
      ran back to the old woman, and gave her a hug. She gave him her
      biggest smile ever.

      When the boy opened the door to his own house a short
      time later, his mother was surprised by the look of
      joy on his face. She asked him, "What did you do today
      that made you so happy?"
      He replied, "I had lunch with God."

      But before his mother could respond, he added,
      "You know what? She's got the
      most beautiful smile I've ever seen!"

      Meanwhile, the old woman, also radiant with joy,
      returned to her home. Her son was stunned by the
      look of peace on her face and he asked,
      "Mother, what did you do today that made you so happy?"

      She replied, "I ate potato chips in the park with God."

      However, before her son responded, she added,
      "You know, he's much younger than I expected."

      ***************************************
      - found on the advaitatozen yahoo group -

      On Enlightenment

      "One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light,
      but by making the darkness conscious."

      When I was sixteen, I read the above quote by Carl Jung for the
      first time. How does one go about making the "darkness conscious?"-
      I wondered. Even thinking about it gave me the creeps. And then I
      read the words, "darkness receives and conceives." Albrecht
      Durer's "Melancholia" immediately came to mind, and I thought,
      living in a light-filled world is just fine with me.
      Confronting one's "darkness" was not only foreign to me, at the
      time, but frightening, and completely counterproductive in my view,
      so caught up was I in the "light addicted" world where darkness had
      always been associated with the occult, the sinister, and that which
      is to be avoided; where heaven and hell, good and evil, light and
      darkness are viewed as direct opposites rather than being birthed
      from each other, as I now believe.

      The word, birthed, in my view, has much to do with "enlightenment"
      and "realization." Birthing is a process that goes far beyond nine
      months in a womb. It is a life time process. And so too
      is "enlightenment," self-individuation/realization, or as the
      Sixteenth Century Kabbalists preferred to call it, "Tikkun ha olam,"
      repair of one's personal world.

      "Enlightement" is not a sudden occurrence, imo. It does not happen
      over night, or within a matter of weeks. Rather, it is a seed
      process that exists "in potencia;" in us all, like a flower within a
      seed or an Oak within the acorn, for example, that needs to be
      cultivated and nurtured over time. It can flow and ebb unexpectedly
      either "in the best of times, or in the worst of times."

      Just as the interplay between Light/Darkness/water/nutrients
      give "birth" to the rose, or the new born child, for example, so
      too, the alchemical process can lead to the emergence of a third and
      better thing. And these "better things," are often preceded by very
      difficult and dark times indeed, those trials and tribulations,
      depressions, and Dark Nights of the Soul, for example, when it
      appears that all the lights have gone out, and all the "Inter-being"
      in the world wouldn't help a bit.

      How did the great masters, and those not so great, deal with their
      personal fallow times? And what was it that enabled "many of them,"
      despite great difficulties, to replant and nurture their "fields?;-
      harvest the golden crops that led to their awakening and to the
      teachings that impress us so today?

      Again, I'm reminded of the lost sparks of God's Light that Sixteenth
      Century Lurianic Kabbalists associated with "Tikkun ha Olam." ie.
      repair of the Self, the integration of the opposites-those shadow
      aspects that exist in the "other side," as the Lurianists referred
      to it, thus presaging Jung's idea of Self-individuation.

      So, there are many ways to achieve "enlightmenment," which is just a
      fancy word, in my view, for awareness of Self. And of course there
      are those whose Light/awareness burns with a greater intensity and
      who become the guides and the mentors. Sharing the tools, crafted
      in the crucible of their own experience, and the knowledge as to How
      to use them so others may become more conscious and aware of the
      barriers/those shadow aspects that often prevent one from maximizing
      their personal duende and discovering their own Light.

      Guides such as these who help to chart the paths toward Self-
      Knowledge, who provide the tools, and teach their application, are
      sorely needed in our modern day society that values more the
      charting of the heavens than the microcosm of Self.

      In the mystical tradition, "you are not religious in order to be a
      better person, you must be a better person in order to
      be "Religious." And this has much to do with "Tikkun ha olam;" with
      finding the Light inside, illuminating the Self/self, and shining
      that light into the hearts and souls of others. Rumi said that there
      were thousands of ways to kneel and kiss the earth. Freeing up one's
      inner Light through "Tikkun ha Olam," is just One of the many ways
      to achieve "enlightenment," thereby honoring the Self and others.

      Whether it be mining for the Light, honoring "God" in one self and
      others, reaassessing one's beliefs that may no longer be
      working, "chopping wood, carrying water," volunteering,
      spending time with young children, or older adults, or just sitting
      on the Head, one can be "enlightened."

      No one has a monopoly on the "enlightenment" market, but each of us
      do have a corner of the world within us which, with guidance and the
      willingness to do so, Can be polished and made to shine more
      brilliantly than one has ever imagined. And the inner/outer ripple
      effect of such an endeavor Does contain astounding possibilities.

      Peace,

      Doug

      ******************************

      - found on the sufimystic yahoo group -

      Just So

      What is the purpose
      Of the sun's setting among clouds
      In breathtaking beauty?
      Or of the dolphin's breaking the surface
      In a delightful sommersault?

      What is the purpose
      Of the wind caressing my sweaty face
      On a hot summer day?

      What is the purpose
      Of child's causeless rippling laughter?

      Or a scent of a rose?

      Who cares?
      I am grateful for every moment
      Of being
      Here!

      ++++++++++++++++++++
      more from sufimystic
      ++++++++++++++++++++

      independence 365 Tao

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      an excerpt from a longer post
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      In harmony with the Tao,
      the sky is clear and spacious,
      the earth is solid and full,
      all creature flourish together,
      content with the way they are,
      endlessly repeating themselves,
      endlessly renewed.

      When man interferes with the Tao,
      the sky becomes filthy,
      the earth becomes depleted,
      the equilibrium crumbles,
      creatures become extinct.

      The Master views the parts with compassion,
      because he understands the whole.
      His constant practice is humility.
      He doesn't glitter like a jewel
      but lets himself be shaped by the Tao,