#2076 - Tuesday, March 8, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2005
      Nondual Highlights #2076 - Tuesday, March 8, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Perseverance is not a long race;
      it is many short races
      one after another.

           - Walter Elliott

      Such power as I possess in the political field has derived from my experiments in the spiritual field.

           - Mahatma Gandhi, in his autobiography

      "What was it in the wilderness that gave peace and
      joy? What was it that came to us in the forest, the
      solitude? In either case it was nothing else but the
      depth of our own life, which is silent like the depths
      of the great sea, so silent and still. It is the
      surface of the sea that makes waves and roaring
      breakers; the depth is silent. So the depth of our own
      being is silent also. And this all-pervading,
      unbroken, inseparable, unlimited, ever-present,
      omnipotent silence unites with our silence like the
      meeting of flames."

      ~Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Daily Dharma - Amrita Nadi

      All…phenomena are intrinsically void and yet this Mind with which they are identical is no mere nothingness.

      -Huang Po, “Zen Teaching of Huang Po”
      From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt

      The Sky Hunter

      "Keep
      Ringing the bell,
      Playing the tamboura, calling for Him.

      For you
      Have touched something holy inside
      With your spirit-body
      And now your eyes look broken
      Without His sacred presence near.

      The heart is like that: blessed and ruined
      Once it has known
      Divine beauty.

      Then,
      It becomes a restless sky hunter.

      The lover keeps circling in their being
      Their sweetest moments
      With God

      Needing to kiss
      His face
      Again."

      'The Gift - Poems by Hafiz The Great Sufi Master'
      Translations by Daniel Ladinsky
      nondualnow - Sam Pasciencier

      PURPOSE

      He who has a "why" to live for
      can bear almost any "how".

           - Friedrich Nietzche

      "Listen to the principles of yoga. By practicing these you can break through the bonds of karma. On this path effort never goes to waste, and there is not failure. Even a little effort toward spiritual awareness will protect you from the greatest fear. Those who follow this path, resolving deep within themselves to seek Me alone, attain singleness of purpose. For those who lack resolution, the decisions of life are many--branched and endless."

      - Bhagavad Gita 2:39-41
      Excerpted from The Bhagavad Gita, translated by Eknath Easwaran, copyright 1985

      Devotee: What is the purpose of life?

      Maharshi: To seek to know the significance of life is itself the result of good karma in past births. Those who do not seek such knowledge are simply wasting their lives.

      Devotee: People give some names to God and say that the name is sacred and repetitions of the name bestows merit on the individual. Can it be true?

      Maharshi: Why not? You bear a name to which you answer. But your body was not born with that name written on it, nor did it say to any one that it bore such and such a name. And yet a name is given to you and you answer to that name, because you have identified yourself with the name. Therefore the name signifies something and it is not a mere fiction. Similarly, God's name is effective. Repetition of the name is remembrance of what it signifies. Hence its merit.

      - Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi

      THE MAHARSHI 11-12/1993

      MillionPaths - Michael Bindel

      "all the precious words
      you and I have exchanged
      have found their way
      into the heart of the universe
      one day they'll pour on us
      like whispering rain
      helping us arise
      from our roots again"

      'Rumi, Dancing the Flame' Nader Khalili

      Allspirit Inspiration - Gill Eardley

      Courage

      It is in the small things we see it.
      The child's first step,
      as awesome as an earthquake.
      The first time you rode a bike,
      wallowing up the sidewalk.
      The first spanking when your heart
      went on a journey all alone.
      When they called you crybaby
      or poor or fatty or crazy
      and made you into an alien,
      you drank their acid
      and concealed it.

      Later,
      if you faced the death of bombs and bullets
      you did not do it with a banner,
      you did it with only a hat to
      cover your heart.
      You did not fondle the weakness inside you
      though it was there.
      Your courage was a small coal
      that you kept swallowing.
      If your buddy saved you
      and died himself in so doing,
      then his courage was not courage,
      it was love; love as simple as shaving soap.

      Later,
      if you have endured a great despair,
      then you did it alone,
      getting a transfusion from the fire,
      picking the scabs off your heart,
      then wringing it out like a sock.
      Next, my kinsman, you powdered your sorrow,
      you gave it a back rub
      and then you covered it with a blanket
      and after it had slept a while
      it woke to the wings of the roses
      and was transformed.

      Later,
      when you face old age and its natural conclusion
      your courage will still be shown in the little ways,
      each spring will be a sword you'll sharpen,
      those you love will live in a fever of love,
      and you'll bargain with the calendar
      and at the last moment
      when death opens the back door
      you'll put on your carpet slippers
      and stride out.

      ~ Anne Sexton ~

      (The Awful Rowing Toward God)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Courage.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings:
      www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      MASTER HAKUIN'S CHANT IN PRAISE OF ZAZEN

      From the beginning all beings are Buddha.
      Like water and ice, without water no ice,
      Outside us no Buddhas.
      How near the truth, yet how far we seek,
      Like one in water crying "I thirst".
      Like a child of rich birth
      wand'ring poor on this earth,
      we endlessly circle the six worlds.
      The cause of our sorrow is ego delusion.
      From dark path to dark path we've wandered in darkness,
      How can we be free from the wheel of samsara?

      The gateway to freedom is zazen samadhi,
      beyond exultation, beyond all our praises,
      the pure Mahayana.
      Observing the precepts, repentance and giving,
      the countless good deeds and the way of right living
      all come from zazen.
      Thus one true samadhi extinguishes evils;
      it purified karma, dissolving obstructions.
      Then where are the dark paths to lead us astray?
      The pure lotus land is not far away.
      Hearing this truth, heart humble and grateful,
      to praise and embrace it, to practice its wisdom,
      brings unending blessings, brings mountains of merit.

      But if we turn inward and prove our True-nature,
      that True-self is no-self,
      our own Self is no-self,
      we go beyond ego and past clever words.
      Then the gate to the oneness of cause and effect is thrown open.
      Not two and not three, straight ahead runs the Way.
      Our form now being no-form,
      in coming and going we never leave home.
      Our thought now being no-thought,
      our dancing and songs are the voice of the Dharma.
      How vast is the heaven of boundless samadhi!
      How bright and transparent the moonlight of wisdom!
      What is there outside us, what is there we lack?
      Nirvana is openly shown to our eyes.
      This earth where we stand is the pure lotus land,
      And this very body, the body of Buddha.