HighlightsSun26Dec

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 1999

      Hi,

      Did everyone survive Christmas? Is everyone back on the
      cruise ship? I think we lost a few. Oh well. We picked up
      some too.

      I hope everyone's not too full of good food, cake, pies and
      candy. I had a Christmas breakfast at one step-daughter's,
      went home and feel asleep; then got up and went to the other
      step-daughter for supper, and came home and fell asleep. All
      the food and emotionality makes one tired.

      Tomorrow's a good day to get back to normal. I hope your
      flu's getting better, Judi. I enjoyed all the cards to the
      list and the good wishes.

      Regarding our limerick contest, it goes till Jan. 1 or 2,
      forget what I said. But we do have a contest as there are
      well over 12 contributors. So I'll be awarding the t-shirt
      in a major awards dinner atop the world famous Halifax
      Hilton.

      The work of the List continues, and it is not different from
      moment to moment life.

      Jerry

      I'll share one of my Christmas stories from today that
      began with my father's remembering the day after my
      mother passed away.

      I had given my son a book entitled, "Finding God
      on the Train." It was a great little book of a man's
      attempt to experience God, rather than simply worship
      Him in Church.

      My dad picked up the book, reading the title aloud,
      and said, "I remember when I found God". Then
      he went on to tell the story of the day after my mom
      had passed . He was grieving really hard, and
      began praying fervently. He said all of a sudden a
      sense of peace came over him, unlike anything he
      had ever felt. He said that for a moment he was so
      peaceful and happy.....even with all he was facing and
      experiencing....he was still at peace. He said he knew it
      was the Holy Spirit. And he said, "Can you imagine...
      that's what heaven is like....that feeling of love and peace
      no matter what" And I said, "Can you imagine....that
      you don't have to die to feel that way all the time....
      that heaven can be here on Earth? (He gave me a
      curious look, and I continued).... " Can
      you imagine that I once experienced that state of bliss
      for 2 weeks straight even though I was unemployed and
      didn't know where my next money would come from?"

      And his eyes opened wide as if
      amazed. And then I told him my dream (which I'll share
      because it's part of my story here....with apologies to those
      of you who have heard it before):

      I was in heaven, catching up with old friends, when someone
      approached me saying, "the Radiant One would like to speak
      to you". I went into His chamber, and beheld a huge ball
      of Light. He said, "I'd like you to do something for me. I'd
      like you to take 'this' (offering me a ball of light) down there
      (pointing to Earth)."

      I thought, gee that doesn't take a rocket scientist....it's
      more the work of a delivery guy...delivering this from
      here to there. Then I saw myself on Earth as a glass with holes
      poked all around it, and liguid gold light pouring into
      the container from above. The light filled the container
      and poured out thru the pours...and I became like a
      glowing lantern. He said, "Whatever you do, keep the
      holes from getting dirty and clogging up". And immediately
      my container was caked with mud. No light could be
      seen shining out of me. I knew my job first was to
      clean myself of the caked-on dirt.
      ~~~~~~
      I told him that the only thing that separates me from
      experiencing the Holy Spirit day in and day out is
      my thoughts and attitudes....which act like cakes of dirt.

      My dad listened to me with interest. When I finished,
      he put his head down and said, "I should never have
      talked to your sister the way I did the other day. I
      need to learn to watch what I say."

      I smiled for a minute, and then said with a grin,
      "What's really neat is when you begin to watch
      whatever it is you're thinking".

      He raised his eyebrow, gave me a 'maybe' look....and
      then picked up the book and began to read it while I
      went up to do my hair.

      Melody

      Maya Angelieu has said that she refuses to
      allow gossip and ridicule in her house. She's said to have
      ears that could hear to the other side of her house....and
      when she hears someone gossiping in a negative
      way about other people....., she yells, "na, na, na.....
      not in my house you don't!!" She explains, that
      she sees it as a kind of soul killing.....that the person
      saying those belittling or ridiculing remarks about
      another....just as 'talk' or 'fun' is actually trying to kill that
      person. But not an outright killing...not a face to face
      kind of killing....but rather an anonymous, under the cover
      of night, killing...one bite at a time.

      This has always rang as true to me. And it occurs
      to me that it may be the ultimate 'passive aggressive' act.

      love,
      Melody

      I used to think that the end of the path was pure awareness. I have
      had several experiences of the void or ego loss and a moment of this
      bliss was greater than all the joy of the rest of my life all put
      together. I now think this is but the beginning of the path.

      I have since had the direct experience of God. The pure awareness was
      there, the bliss was there but the Love was indescribable. It filled
      all desires I ever had.

      I am beginning to wonder if there is a being or state that is
      permanently grounded in pure awareness and with pure love and the
      power of the mind, a mind so much greater. The existence is non
      physical but pure awareness-love-intelligence.

      Peace, neo

      Phil Burton;

      As long as one is "looking for" It, one continually misses It. It's like
      looking for your reflection in a raging torrent, and anxiously worrying
      that the reflection might be unsubstantial (as it is).

      You are God. Why do you "look for" It?

      Awareness of turmoil is perfect Peace.

      Peace!

      P*

      <snip>

      ...I'm not concerned about
      the integrity of this list.

      To be concerned with integrity would mean to define
      soundness and completeness and then to enforce the
      definition. It's an avoidance of real work.

      The real work is this: Be aware.

      I have no idea what a sound or complete list community is,
      other than one made up of people who are aware.

      Jerry

      Dear Judy

      I believe love between 2 people can work. It is a rarity. Takes the
      right two people. Perhaps 2 fully enlightened people, perhaps not.

      Peace, neo

      ********** Naaah! Get serious, what's there to work? Makes no difference
      how so called enlightened they are. That whole idea of trying to make
      something 'work' is the 'absense' of love, not love itself. Love is
      inherent already, not something
      that we create or need to look for. It's already HERE for crying out
      loud!!
      Here, let me say it again for those of you who may not hear me..
      LOVE IS ALREADY HERE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Ok, back to work. :-)

      Judi

      *****************
      And let me say something else here Neo, because you seem to be such a
      nice
      fellow and all and I appreciate your listening, I really do, can't tell
      you
      how much actually...very nice, means the world to me. But that aside,
      let me tell you that I realized all this when I gave up on the idea
      of looking to someone else for "whatever" because it just wasn't
      'working'.
      I didn't know exactly what wasn't working, but it wasn't working I can
      tell you that, because it wasn't working?? Know what I mean?? And I
      stopped
      and said to myself, hmmmm, something's fishy here, and maybe it's me??
      :-)
      And lo and behold, it was me!! And not only the fishy part was me,
      EVERYTHING was me! And I mean EVERYTHING. Boy, did I get a surprise!
      And I got all of that from looking into my own broken heart and seeing
      what that was all about.

      Judi

      Larry:
      "looking into my own broken heart and seeing what that was all about" is
      the key but it seems to me there are many many ways of getting this
      wrong and only a few ways of getting it right. Millions of people look
      into their own heart every day and just don't get it. Why is that?

      **********
      Because my whole life was wrapped up in it. Not just a part of it,
      but my whole purpose of happiness. And there was no place else to turn.
      I really had no choice. It became a matter of necessity. There was no
      going on for me. There was no reason for me to even get up and walk
      across
      the room, that's how important it became for me. What tomorrow might
      bring
      was out of the question. When your life becomes that much of a
      suffering, you got to do something about it.

      Judi

      neo;
      >Dear Tim
      >
      >I do not like any part of the dream involving suffering. Is there
      >something wrong with that?

      No, because suffering is CAUSED BY not liking certain parts of the dream.
      Suffering is "outside the dream" in a certain sense... in the sense that
      it's very real to the experiencer, more real than anything else in some
      cases. And the cause of suffering is liking certain parts of the dream and
      disliking others.

      Hope that made sense.

      With Love,

      Tim

      Are there things without virtue or sin?
      Is there something that is without din?
      Be it bookworms and rhinos
      Or the shit flies and dinos
      It is all being born from within

      Without form there is nothing to waste
      I'm the one without copy and paste
      Whether poem or fart
      Make original art
      Imitation is tart without taste

      Without creed or a cause or a caste
      I'm the one without future or past
      Having nothing to waste
      I am nothing but taste
      And the one who's the first and the last

      Jan

      ~~~
      At one point I realized I was being driven Home
      kicking and screaming the whole way.
      Seems like a long time ago now.

      xan

      > Must we resort to profanity to make our points? Somehow I cannot
      > imagine Jesus or Siddhartha doing this.

      This says more about the
      limits of imagination than
      anything else. What do you
      figure Jesus was saying as
      he was overturning money
      tables in The Temple, "Have
      a nice day, fellows!"? :-)

      Sri Nisargadata Maharaj was
      famous for his proficiency
      and profligacy in profanity,
      and I'm sure he wasn't alone
      among the Famous Dead Guys[tm]
      of nonduality in that respect.

      "World-honored one, how may
      one obtain the most perfect
      of sublime revelations?"

      "Drop dead, Ananda!"

      > Peace, neo

      There is that! -- Bruce

      neo;

      >Dear Bruce
      >
      >As I am new here I am still trying to see the relationships between
      >the players. From what I have seen so far there seems to be great
      >disharmony and separation between you and Tim as well as between
      >Melody and Judi.

      The disharmony between myself and Bruce is purely surface. Reading through
      his website, I sense a great deal of understanding. I can't remember a
      single thing he discusses on his website that I don't see as literally
      vibrating with truth, not a thing.

      Learn to look past surface appearances. There is 'social disharmony'
      between Bruce and myself at times. There may be 'social like' or 'social
      dislike'. Underneath, just a little deeper, Truth remains as it is and
      always was, above and beyond "I like you" or "I dislike you."

      With Love,

      Tim
      ~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Neo,

      Just as an example -

      Oftentimes, Bruce's posts come across to me as arrogant and egotistical.
      That fact has *nothing* to do with Bruce. Guess who it has to do with?

      The perceiver is the 'big picture', always. The perceiver creates a
      picture in his or her mind of another's personality (based on their own
      predilections and conditionings), and reinforces that picture based on
      'past experiences' with that person. Then the "image" held (which is
      almost always far from accurate) is blamed on the other person!

      Think about this sentence: "You made me feel bad." Can you see the innate
      slavery of one who utters such a sentence? If the perceiver believes that
      others can "make them feel" anything, they are slaves to the world! If
      someone can "make me feel bad," then I am a slave to that person. I have
      given them a pair of handcuffs, thrown away the key, and begged them to
      cuff me.

      Hope this made sense.

      With Love,

      Tim