#2066 - Saturday, February 26, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2005
      #2066 - Saturday, February 26, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

      The vitality of thought is in adventure.
      Ideas won't keep.
      Something must be done about them.

           - Alfred North Whitehead
      To find our calling is to find the intersection
      between our own deep gladness
      and the world's deep hunger.

          - Frederick Buechner

      from Daily Dharma ~ Amrita Nadi
      "Things that are Real
      are given and received in Silence."

      ~Meher Baba

      from Allspirit Inspiration ~ Gill Eardley
      From Chapter 4 of 'Walden' by Henry David Thoreau

      "But while we are confined to books, though the most
      select and classic, and read only particular written
      languages, which are themselves but dialects and provincial,
      we are in danger of forgetting the language which all things
      and events speak without metaphor, which alone is copious
      and standard. Much is published, but little printed. The rays
      which stream through the shutter will be no longer remembered
      when the shutter is wholly removed. No method nor discipline
      can supersede the necessity of being forever on the alert.

      What is a course of history or philosophy, or poetry, no matter
      how well selected, or the best society, or the most admirable
      routine of life, compared with the discipline of looking always at
      what is to be seen? Will you be a reader, a student merely, or a
      seer? Read your fate, see what is before you, and walk on into

      from MillionPaths ~ Viorica Weissman
      Even after all this time
      The sun never says to the earth,
      "You owe Me."

      Look what happens with
      A love like that,
      It lights the Whole Sky.

      From: The Gift
      The Cosmic Egg -- NASA photo of the visible Universe

      A shortcut into the path is to be inwardly empty and outwardly quiet, like water that is clear and still, myriad images reflecting in it, neither sinking nor floating, all things spontaneously so.

      From Teachings of Zen, edited by Thomas Cleary, © 1998.

      from MillionPaths ~ Viorica Weissman

      Lucy Cornelssen, Hunting the 'I'

      The dominating Hindu-philosophy of today is the Advaita-Vedanta; and Ramana Maharshi is considered the most prominent figure representing this philosophy.

      'A-dvaita' means 'not-two', the 'One without a second'. There is only One principle, Brahman, essence and substance of all and everything; diversity is merely appearance. Brahman as the ultimate nature of man is called Atman, the Self, merely for convenience's sake; Atman is Brahman. The world too is Brahman; to see it as the world of diversity is Maya, illusion.

      The idea of Maya is the point where the antagonists of Advaita-Vedanta attack the system as showing inconsistency against its principle of A-dvaita, Maya being 'second' to account for diversity, which cannot be included in 'the One!'

      Ramana Maharshi supported Sri Sankara and the Advaita-system:
      "The tantriks and others of the kind condemn Sri Sankara's philosopy as Maya-path without understanding him aright. What does he say?

       He says: (1) Brahman is real; (2) The universe is a myth; (3) Brahman is the universe.
      He does not stop at the second statement but continues to supplement it with the third. What does it signify? The universe is conceived to be apart from Brahman, and that perception is wrong. The antagonists point to his illustration of 'the snake in the rope'. In dim light one can think a coiled rope to be a snake. This is unconditioned superimposition. After the truth of the rope is known, the illusion of the snake is removed once and for all.

      But they should also take into account the conditioned superimposition, i.e., 'the water in the mirage'.

      "The mirage does not disappear even after we know it to be a mirage. The vision is there, but the man does not run to it for water. Sri Sankara must be understood in the light of both these illustrations. The world is a myth. Even after knowing it, it continues to appear. It must be known to be Brahman and not apart." (Ramana)

      In order to recognize our self-image, we can no longer
      identify with it. In other words, we have to learn how to
      objectify our own mental processes.

          -Matthew Flickstein, Journey to the Center

      Reprinted from
      Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations, edited by Josh Bartok.

               Anything you do for the sake of enlightenment
              takes you nearer.  Anything you do without
              remembering enlightenment puts you off.  But
              why complicate?  Just know that you are above
              and beyond all things and thoughts.  What you
              want to be, you are it already.  Just keep it in mind.

                                - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Just as the footprints of any creature that walks the earth can
      be placed in the elephant’s footprint, which is the largest of all
      --even so mindful attention is the one quality that ensures ease
      of mind at all times.
      Mindful attention causes beneficial thoughts that have not yet
      arisen to arise. It also causes harmful thoughts that have
      already arisen to vanish. In the one who is mindful, the good
      that is to be will be realized.
      -Anguttara Nikaya From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne
      Bancroft, 2000

      from Allspirit Inspiration ~ Gill Eardley
      "We must implement these good teachings in daily life.
      Whether you believe in God or not does not matter so
      much, whether you believe in Buddha or not does not
      matter so much; whether you believe in reincarnation
      or not does not matter so much. You must lead a good
      life. And a good life does not mean just good food,
      good clothes, and good shelter.  These are not sufficient.
      A good motivation is what is needed:  compassion
      without dogmatism, without complicated philosophy; just
      understanding that others are human brothers and sisters
      and respecting their rights and human dignity. That we
      humans can help each other is one of our unique human
      capacities. We must share in other peoples' suffering;
      even if you cannot help with money, to show concern,
      to give moral support and express sympathy are them-
      selves valuable.  This is what should be the basis of
      activities; whether one calls it religion or not does not

      ~ Dalai Lama

      from Daily Dharma ~ W.Kelly
      "If you wish to calm waves, when you try to make this happen,
      they arise all the more.  Likewise, even if you apply antidotes to
      ideation, the waves of thoughts will flow out again.

      When you just leave them alone, after awhile the waves of water will
      subside. Likewise, if you know how to practice at ease, without
      exertion, the waves of ideation will naturally be calmed."
      ~ Rendawa Zhonnu Lodro

      from the book, "Naked Awareness, Practical Instructions on the Union
      of Mahamudra and Dzognchen," published by Snow Lion

      Hillman: Ikkyu, the crazy Japanese monk, has a poem:

      You do this, you do that
      You argue left, you argue right
      You come down, you go up
      This person says no, you say yes
      Back and forth
      You are happy
      You are really happy

      What he is saying is: Stop all that nonsense. You're really happy. Just stop for a minute and you'll realize you're happy just being. I think it's the pursuit that screws up happiness. If we drop the pursuit, it's right here.

      from http://www.scottlondon.com/insight/scripts/hillman.html