#2060 - Saturday, February 19, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2005
      NONDUAL HIGHLIGHTS

      #2060 - Saturday, February 19, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

      The longer I worked the more certain I felt that as improbable as it might seem, there were moments when an individual conscience was all that could keep a world from falling.
      -- Arthur Miller, while writing "The Crucible"

      We first Americans mingle with our pride an exceptional humility.
      Spiritual arrogance is foreign to our nature and teaching. We never
      claimed that the power of articulate speech is proof of superiority
      over "dumb creation"; on the other hand, it is to us a perilous gift.

      We believe profoundly in silence - the sign of a perfect equilibrium.
      Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind and spirit.
      those who can preserve their selfhood ever calm and unshaken by the
      storms of existence - not a leaf, as it were, astir on the tree; not
      a ripple upon the shining pool - those, in the mind of the person of
      nature, possess the ideal attitude and conduct of life.

      Ohiyesa

      The Ways of the Spirit
      The Wisdom of the Native Americans

      posted to MillionPaths by Viorica Weissman

      "Being charmed by a cricket's song,
      which is singing in the empty mountain,
      I looked to the sky suddenly.
      My changeable mind slips away in front of your bright smile,
      that is predestined to be bound with me.
      There is neither you nor I,
      only a fascinated soul in the great light.
      A meteor sends messages over the Milky Way sometimes.
      I can feel an old gratitude, an old love in my bones,
      in my thoughts, without remorse.

      This night, so many stars gather the trifles of the world,
      hold the great Dharma assembly of the Bodhisatva
      of Compassionate Action.
      Listening to the Bodhisatva's subtle Dharma talk,
      I was fascinated all night long.
      I almost became awakened.

      Because sentient beings are countless,
      the abundant light of the empty Void exists as the Absolute,
      who sings of the night.
      Only a few speak for it.
      Now I can understand."

      ~~Kyunghoon Sunim

      From the book, "Living Peace," published by Iris International

      posted to Daily Dharma by W. Kelly

      SAM'S "VERMEER" photo

      I made a deal with Rebecca that I would wait for her in the coffee shop downstairs at the National Gallery when I got too tired to soak up any more art..

      A sudden flash of sunlight created this one ... I like it..

      It is not touched up... the sun did it all by itself...

      Love from Sam (Pasciencier)

      From 'Living Presence - A Sufi Way to
      Mindfulness & the Essential Self'
      by Kabir Edmund Helminski

      Grace

      Simone Weil said: "We must not wish for the disappearance
      of our troubles but the grace to transform them." Often when
      we wish our troubles would disappear, we are ignoring what
      could change in ourselves. We are confused between changing
      the outer circumstances, which may not be to our liking, and the
      way that we relate to them. Identified with circumstances and
      conditions, we may fall into resentment and think we must change
      the facts, when what we need to change is ourselves.

      If we could see the arising of all events as opportunities to know
      and develop the qualities in ourselves, would we live in resentment
      toward what arises in each moment? With a center of gravity in
      Essence, a "yes" arises-the yes of recognition, rather than the no
      of resentment. Difficulty is first recognized, even before it is trans-
      formed. Trouble becomes a reminder that we can tap the infinite
      qualities of the Creative Power.

      Through learning to participate in a certain dialog with this Power-
      an inner conversation that is both specific and spontaneous-we call
      upon the qualities we need to live fully, and we activate these qualities
      in ourselves: solidarity, courage, forgiveness, patience, or whatever is
      required. Every problem calls forth qualities from the treasury within
      us. Accepting more responsibility and challenges brings a greater
      activation.

      How often we think that if only we didn't have these problems we
      would be free to relax and enjoy life! Meanwhile we are filled with
      the ordinary psychological toxins: self-pity, resentment, anger, fear,
      guilt, envy, and jealousy. We must convince the intellectual Mind
      of the stupidity and futility of these things and put in their place the
      positive attributes of humbleness, gratitude, love, courage,
      emancipation, generosity, trust, and faith. We must do this in the
      workshop of the intellectual mind until it is quite clearly convinced,
      when the work will be shifted to the subconscious, superconscious
      mind. This is transformation.

      posted to Allspirit Inspiration by Gill Eardley

      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      "And what is it to work with love?

      It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from our heart,
      even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.

      It is to build a house with affection,
      even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.

      It is to sow seeds with tenderness and reap the harvest
      with joy, even as if your beloved were to eat the fruit.

      It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath
      of your own spirit, and to know that all the blessed dead
      are standing about you and watching."
      ~ Kahlil Gibran

      ~     ~     ~

      "Work is love made visible.

      And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste,
      it is better that you should leave your work and sit
      at the gate of the temple and take alms
      of those who work with joy.

      For if you bake bread with indifference,
      you bake a bitter bread that feeds
      but half man's hunger.

      And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes,
      your grudge distils a poison in the wine.

      And if you sing though as angels,
      and love not the singing, you muffle man's ears
      to the voices of the day
      and the voices of the night"

      ~ Kahlil Gibran

      posted to nondualnow by Mazie Lane