Highlights, Friday, Dec. 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 1999
      XERA

      reflecting each other
      here in this salon
      'nothingness' revealed
      urges to go on

      like birds singing
      their eternal song:
      "I am Isness,
      all along!"

      http://www.xera.org

      JERRY

      >From Jnaneshvar:

      Jnanadev says:
      "I honor the primal pair of Shiva and Shakti
      Who, by swallowing up the sweet dish of name and form,
      Reveal their underlying unity.

      Embracing each other, they merge into one,
      As darkness merges into light
      At the breaking of dawn.

      All levels of speech
      Merge into silence
      When their true nature is realized,
      Just as the ocean and the Ganges both merge
      Into the primal waters
      When the universal Deluge comes.

      ---------------------

      I offer salutations to him
      Who comes to the aid of the Self
      Which is suffering limitation
      In the wilderness of ignorance.

      When he is absent,
      One wears the lovely cloak of appearance;
      When he appears,
      The cloak of diversity vanishes.

      When knowledge discovers him within,
      He swallows up the knower;
      And still he does not become impure.

      Though I try to bow to him,
      He does not remain before me
      As an object of my worship.
      He does not allow any sense of difference.

      Although the Guru and disciple appear to be two,
      It is the Guru alone who masquerades as both.

      If a person awakes in a solitary place
      When no one else is about,
      Then one may be sure he is both
      The awakened and the awakener.

      XAN: When my name was changed a few years ago from my birth
      name to Xan I felt the freedom of having no history with
      that name, and none of the automatic responses that had
      appeared before. Very liberating!

      CHRISTIANA: This has been my exact experience. It has been
      29 years since being given this name (Subud). It has been a
      name, frequency tone and relationship to become alive
      within. Christiana carries no child memory, and while those
      memories vaguely persist, they *appear* under a different
      named canopy. It is an interesting experience isn't it.

      Perhaps, renaming, in lieu of camoflague, instead assists in
      the release of defective core identity programming.

      JOE MARKEL

      Here's a photo gallery of one of the greatest Masters of all
      time

      http://www.dorsai.org/~cba/gallery.htm
      JAY SCHNEIDER:

      Many, many saints have spoken of the unity of the mind, and
      many of these didn't make the false dichotomies between mind
      and heart that we make. Also, Saints often speak of the
      heart, it seems, because many of their paths through life
      are paths of the heart and paths of service.
      ... ...
      How many of us have followed deceptively attractive paths,
      only to find that we are deeper in the folds of illusion?
      And how many times have we looked back and with simple
      reasoning realized (tricky word there, too...) how easy it
      was avoid all that messyness?
      ... ....
      What are we looking for here? Unity of the heart? Unity of
      the mind? Unity period? Are we looking for anything? I
      don't know.

      JOSHUA PRITIKIN

      ...the feeling of unity is just a reflection of
      non-dualistic unity. In other words, the feeling of unity
      is just a signal post. It's not the real thing. It's just
      a feeling. Real unity encompasses both feeling *and*
      thinking.
      ... ...
      Thought can be an object of attention. By noticing this, it
      is possible to say that thought is not the origin of
      attention. *You* are the origin of attention. Therefore,
      you can have thought, but thought is not you.

      CHRISTIANA P. DURANCZYK
      (editor's note: Joshua has been posting voluminously on his
      theory of competition. Little if any of it has found its
      way to the Highlights. This letter stands on its own, I
      feel, and doesn't require familiarity with Joshua's body of
      work.)

      Hi, Joshua..

      I've been 'studying' competition this week as well. I can't
      say that I understand your system numerically, but my and
      the list dynamics have given ample opportunity to observe
      the 'system' as we act it out unconsciously.

      This is how it appears to me. Most of the time we are
      walking around with finely honed masks. These masks are
      hardwired, so to speak, to our psycho-emotive programming.
      These masks are also scanners for incoming data
      frequencies. This 'face turned outward' survival program,
      when linked with our memory databases is probably the
      prototype for the world's best 'search engine'... search
      and destroy - search and become.

      This week I've observed my inner-outer-data-links
      magnetically charging 'this face'.. I've also observed the
      freedom of conscious discharge.

      Last night, in chat, Judi and I spoke for a bit and at one
      point Gene said 'face off'.. and I suddenly *saw* this
      -very- literally. What the heck were either of us doing
      with these 'faces' anyway? A loud resounding voice
      yelled.. "whose face are you saving here, Christiana, and
      why??" The magnetic charge released and.... oh, how
      silly.. without faces, we were removed from that entire
      dance frequency.

      So, Joshua.. your 'surrender to me'.. seems like the
      wisest think I could do. If you also, happen to surrender
      to me.. we are free to then dance a new faceless dance. If
      you opt to remain masked.. it is still 'never mind'.

      I appreciate your quirky tenacity and good nature.

      thanks, Christiana

      ANDREW

      The sense of separation is blindness, when one can see, why
      would one choose to be blind?
      The analysis of competition is a set of rules for getting
      around with your eyes closed, why not keep your eyes open?

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      I've been contemplating mortality quite a bit recently, and
      realizing that the issue really isn't whether the body is
      "real" or not. It really doesn't make any difference
      whether it's "real" or "unreal." The point is essentially
      moot.

      The issue at hand is that the body is extremely temporal and
      short-lasting.
      It's going to die, guaranteed. It's really amazing how
      un-aware and un-mindful most of us are of that on a
      day-to-day basis. There's some kind of deep root denial of
      death going on. The body clings fiercely to life, and yet
      its life is so incredibly tenuous and fragile. Anything can
      happen at any moment, yet we (most of us anyway) go around
      pretending we're immortal, *clinging* to physical life. For
      those who care about such things, this tendency has been
      pointed out again and again in Hindu scripture, often with
      puzzlement or amazement at the extremity of denial.

      Nisargadatta said that the deepest *desire* (not "need") is
      to keep the body alive. It seems to me that for real
      transcendence to take place, attachment to this desire has
      to be lost. In other words, the almost universal denial of
      death has to stop, and acceptance has to take its place.
      Perhaps this has something to do with the references to
      'realization' being something akin to "dying while still
      alive." It's been said as well that Buddha claimed
      meditating on death is most productive.
      We can also look at the examples of U.G. Krishnamurti and
      Ramana Maharshi and their "dying while still alive"
      experiences.

      I think death needs to be brought out of the closet, the
      light turned on, the closet cleaned out, and KEPT cleaned
      out. I plan to continue contemplating death and mortality,
      as it has been of incredible value in just the day or two
      I've been doing it. The intense feeling of "knowing my own
      mortality" is somewhat unpleasant (although I suspect it
      won't remain that way), but something tells me intuitively
      that to keep in touch with that knowing is extremely
      important.

      XAN

      I think you've got it, Tim.
      The question of "real" or "not real" is beside the point.
      The body, the mind, the personality and all expressions are
      temporary, ever-changing, inconsistent.
      The truth of us is eternal and eternally the same.

      The mind fears it will not exist When the body is crossed
      off the list Of "People - Not Dead".
      Even then, it is said, There is life more abundant and
      blissed

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      Osho Zen Tarot: Major Arcana
      0. The Fool

      A fool is one who goes on trusting; a fool is one who goes
      on trusting against all his experience. You deceive him,
      and he trusts you; and you deceive him again, and he trusts
      you; and you deceive him again, and he trusts you. Then you
      will say that he is a fool, he does not learn. His trust is
      tremendous; his trust is so pure that nobody can corrupt it.

      Be a fool in the Taoist sense, in the Zen sense. Don't try
      to create a wall of knowledge around you. Whatsoever
      experience comes to you, let it happen, and then go on
      dropping it. Go on cleaning your mind continuously; go on
      dying to the past so you remain in the present, here-now, as
      if just born, just a babe.
      In the beginning it is going to be very difficult. The
      world will start taking advantage of you...let them. They
      are poor fellows. Even if you are cheated and deceived and
      robbed, let it happen, because that which is really yours
      cannot be robbed from you, that which is really yours nobody
      can steal from you.
      And each time you don't allow situations to corrupt you,
      that opportunity will become an integration inside. Your
      soul will become more crystallized.

      MELODY
      Osho Zen Tarot:

      No, you carry your wound. With the ego your whole being is
      a wound. And you carry it around. Nobody is interested in
      hurting you, nobody is positively waiting to hurt you;
      everybody is engaged in safeguarding his own wound.
      Who has got the energy?
      But still it happens, because you are so ready to be
      wounded, so ready, just waiting on the brink for anything.
      You cannot touch a man of Tao.
      Why?--because there is no one to be touched. There is no
      wound. He is healthy, healed, whole. This word 'whole' is
      beautiful. The word 'heal' comes from the whole, and the
      word 'holy' also comes from the whole. He is whole, healed,
      holy.

      Be aware of your wound. Don't help it to grow, let it be
      healed; and it will be healed only when you move to the
      roots. The less the head, the more the wound will heal;
      with no head there is no wound. Live a headless life. Move
      as a total being, and accept things. Just for twenty-four
      hours, try it--total acceptance, whatsoever happens.
      Someone insults you, accept it, don't react, and see what
      happens. Suddenly you will feel an energy flowing in you
      that you have not felt before.

      XAN

      This has surprised me about awakening.
      Knowing the truth/love of oneSelf does not automatically
      make one good at expressing it.

      BRUCE MORGEN

      "Realization is easy.
      *Communication* -- now
      *that's* what's hard!"
      Part of what makes it hard is that it's a dance --
      expression must meet receptivity to that particular
      expression, and that kind of matrimony is entirely up to
      "God."
      When it happens, Fred and Ginger ain't got nothin' on that
      number, let me tell ya!

      This unusual website has received very good reviews on the
      list:
      http://www.do-not-zzz.com/

      HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE MAILING LIST
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ndhighlights