#2056 - Monday, February 14, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2005
      #2056 - Monday, February 14, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

      Paramahamsa Upanishad

      Narada enquired of the Lord of Love:
      "What is the state of the illumined man? "
      The Lord replied :"Hard to reach is the state
      Of the illumined man. Only a few
      Attain it. But even one is enough.
      For he is the pure Self of the scriptures;
      He is truly great because he serves me,
      And I reveal myself through him always."

      He has renounced all selfish attachments
      And observes no rites and ceremonies.
      He has only minimum possessions,
      And lives his life for the welfare of all.

      He has no staff nor tuft nor sacred thread.
      He faces heat and cold , pleasure and pain,
      Honor and dishonor with equal calm.
      He is not affected by calumny,
      Pride, jealousy, status, joy, or sorrow ,
      Greed, anger, or infatuation,
      Excitement, egoism, or other goads;
      For he knows he is neither body nor mind.

      Free from the sway of doubt and false knowledge
      He lives united with the Lord of Love,
      Who is ever serene, immutable,
      Indivisible, the source of all joy
      And wisdom. The Lord is his true home,
      His pilgim's tuft of hair , his sacred thread;
      For he has entered the unitive state.

      Having renounced every selfish desire,
      He has found his rest in the Lord of Love.
      Wisdom is the staff that supports him now.
      Those who take a mendicant's staff while they
      Are still at the mercy of their senses
      Cannot escape enormous suffering.
      The illumined man knows this truth of life.

      For him the universe is his garment
      And the Lord not separate from himself.
      He offers no ancestral oblations;
      He praises nobody, blames nobody,
      Is never dependent on anyone.

      He has no need to repeat the mantram,
      No more need to practice meditation.
      The world of change and changeless Reality
      Are one to him, for he sees all in God.

      The aspirant who is seeking the Lord
      Must free himself from selfish attachments
      To people, money, and possessions.
      When his mind sheds every selfish desire,
      He becomes free from the duality
      Of pleasure and pain and rules his senses.
      No more is he capable of ill will;
      No more is he subject to elation,
      For his senses come to rest in the Self.
      Entering into the unitive state,
      He attains the goal of evolution.
      Truly he attains the goal of evolution.

                 OM Shanti Shanti Shanti

      tr: Eknath Easwaran
      posted to MillionPaths by Viorica Weissman

      Instead of making others right or wrong, or bottling
      up right and wrong in ourselves, there's a middle way,
      a very powerful middle way. We could see it as sitting
      on the razor's edge, not falling off to the right or the left.
      This middle way involves not hanging on to our version
      so tightly.  It involves keeping  our hearts and minds
      open long enough to entertain the idea that when we
      make things wrong,  we do it out of a desire to obtain
      some kind of ground or security. Equally, when we make
      things right,  we are still trying to  obtain some kind of
      ground or security. Could our minds and our hearts be
      big enough just to hang out in that space  where we're
      not entirely certain about who's right and who's wrong?
      Could we have no agenda when we walk into a room
      with another person, not know what to say, not make
      that person wrong or right?  Could we see,  hear,  feel
      other people as they really are? It is powerful to practice
      this way, because we'll find ourselves continually rushing
      around to try to feel secure again -- to make ourselves
      or them either right or wrong. But true communication
      can happen only in that open space.

      'When Things Fall Apart - Heart Advice for Difficult Times'
      by Pema Chodron

      posted to Allspirit Inspiration by Gill Eardley

      "Meditation is like making a friend who gives us good advice about
      how to live our life, how to handle our mind, how to see ourselves as
      intrinsically awake.  It has already begun to untangle our
      bewilderment.  We've seen the power of meditation to restore our
      sanity, to restore our well-being.  Aspiration is a deep desire to go
      further."
      ~~Sakyong Mipham

      From the book: "Turning The Mind Into An Ally," published by
      Riverhead Books
      posted to Daily Dharma by W. Kelly

      "We all came into this world gifted with innocence, but gradually, as
      we became more intelligent, we lost our innocence. We were born with
      silence and as we grew up, we lost the silence and were filled with
      words.

      We lived in our hearts and as time passed, we moved into our heads.
      Now the reversal of this journey is enlightenment. It is the journey from
      the head back to the heart, from words back to silence; getting back to
      our innocence in spite of our intelligence. Although very simple, this
      is a great achievement."

      ~Eckhart Tolle

      From the book, "The Power Of Now," published by New World Library.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1577311523/angelinc

      Blessings to all.  May peace and peace and peace be everywhere.

      posted to Daily Dharma by DharmaG

      Not thinking about anything is zen. Once you know this, walking,
      standing, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is zen. To know
      that the mind is empty is to see the Buddha...Using the mind to look
      for reality is delusion. Not using the mind to look for reality is
      awareness. Freeing oneself from words is liberation.

      -Bodhidharma

      I want to say nonduality is like a coin, because there are two sides
      to it. But I also want to speak of a taste to nonduality. Nonduality
      has the taste of "being". Instead of a coin, let's say nonduality is
      like a wafer that has the taste of being.

      One side is about doing, practicing, attending, and transforming. It
      is about experiences. Nisargadatta Maharaj speaks of it: "Hold onto
      the sense of 'I am' to the exclusion of everything else. When thus the
      mind becomes completely silent, it shines with a new light and
      vibrates with new knowledge. It all comes spontaneously, you need
      only hold on to the 'I am'."

      The other side is the Absolute: Wei Wu Wei says: "The 'Truth' is the
      absolute absence of any kind of truth." The Avadhuta Gita is inscribed
      on this side of the wafer: "Verily, there is no offshoot, essence, or
      absence of essence. Neither is there the movable nor the immovable,
      sameness, nor variety. The Self is devoid of reason and unreason. Why
      dost thou, who art the identity in all, grieve in thy heart?"

      Compare these two sides of the wafer. One side of nonduality is about
      action and experiences one could have, and the other is about a
      quality of nothingness and no experience. Therefore, there is duality
      to nonduality.

      posted to nondualnow by Jerry Katz