#2050 - Saturday, February 5, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2005
      #2050 - Saturday, February 5, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Great opportunities to help others seldom come,
      but small ones surround us every day.
      - Sally Koch

      posted to Morning Zen

      Difficulty

      Our difficulty with this simple progression," he said, "is that
      most of us are unwilling to accept that we need so little to get on
      with. We are geared to expect instruction, teaching, guides,
      masters. And when we are told that we need no one, we don't believe
      it. We become nervous, then distrustful, and finally angry and
      disappointed. If we need help, it is not in methods, but in
      emphasis. If someone makes us aware that we need to curtail our
      self-importance, that help is real."

      The Requirements of Intent
      THE POWER OF SILENCE
      Carlos Castaneda

      posted to MillionPaths by Viorica Weissman

      “I think that I am here, on this earth,
      To present a report on it, but to whom I don't know.
      As if I were sent so that whatever takes place
      Has meaning because it changes into memory.”

      - Czeslaw Milosz, "Consciousness"
      posted to AlphaWorld

      Friendship

      From 'The Art of Being and Becoming'
      by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Those who say, "I was his friend and he was my friend,
      but now we are not friends anymore," should realize that
      they were never friends. It was a presumption on their part,
      a false impression. Can friendship be such a false thing, can
      gold be gold at one time and not at another? Gold is gold, it
      never changes, it remains the same. Constancy in friendship
      is the soul of friendship.
      [ ... ]
      When a person thinks, "I am too good or too kind to you; I
      have been too devoted to you," that person forgets that kindness,
      goodness, and devotion are larger than the horizon. No one can
      be too good, no one can be too kind, and no one can be too
      devoted. When there is a discussion between friends, and one
      says, "I have done so much for you, I have suffered so much for
      you, I have had so much pain on your account, I have had such
      a difficult life for your sake," then he is entering into business. He
      wants to keep a diary of what he has given in the form of love
      and kindness and goodness and sacrifice. A true friend makes
      every sacrifice he can and never thinks about it; he does not even
      allow his mind to ponder upon the subject. Real friendship means
      regard, a deep regard for the pleasure and displeasure of the friend.
      Is there anything in life that is more delicate than friendship-taking
      care that no words should hurt the friend, that no action should
      harm him, that not the slightest shade of coldness may fall on his
      heart? It is most difficult. If a person has learnt the manner of
      friendship he need not learn anything more; he knows everything.
      He has learnt the greatest religion, for it is in this same way that
      one will make a way to God.

      posted to Allspirit Inspiration by Gill Eardley

      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "Earnestness, not perfection, is a precondition to self-realization.
      Virtues and powers come with realization, not before."

      "Nothing stands in the way of your liberation and it can happen here
      and now but for your being more interested in other things. And you
      cannot fight with your interests. You must go with them, see through
      them and watch them reveal themselves as mere errors of judgment and
      appreciation."

      Today

      I passed this Haiku

      Ice on the pond.
      Frozen Heron staring

      into black hole.

      poem and photo by Alan Larus http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/today_2.htm

      The Buddha's Last Instruction

      "Make of yourself a light "
      said the Buddha,
      before he died.
      I think of this every morning
      as the east begins
      to tear off its many clouds
      of darkness, to send up the first
      signal - a white fan
      streaked with pink and violet,
      even green.
      An old man, he lay down
      between two sala trees,
      and he might have said anything,
      knowing it was his final hour.
      The light burns upward,
      it thickens and settles over the fields.
      Around him, the villagers gathered
      and stretched forward to listen.
      Even before the sun itself
      hangs, disattached, in the blue air,
      I am touched everywhere
      by its ocean of yellow waves.
      No doubt he thought of everything
      that had happened in his difficult life.
      And then I feel the sun itself
      as it blazes over the hills,
      like a million flowers on fire-
      clearly I'm not needed
      yet I feel myself turning
      into something of inexplicable value.
      Slowly, beneath the branches,
      he raised his head.
      He looked into the faces of that frightened crowd.

       Mary Oliver