#2033 - Monday, January 17, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2005
      Nondual Highlights
      #2033 - Monday, January 17, 2005 - Editor: Gloria

      One day we must come to see that peace
      is not merely a distant goal that we seek
      but a means by which we arrive at that goal.
      - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      Today is also the birthday of the poet, William Stafford
      During the Second World War, he was a conscientious objector by refusing to be inducted into the U. S. Army. From 1940-1944 he was interned as a pacifist in civilian public service camps in Arkansas and California where he fought fires and built roads.

      Just Thinking

      Got up on a cool morning. Leaned out a window.
      No cloud, no wind. Air that flowers held
      for awhile. Some dove somewhere.

      Been on probation most of my life. And
      the rest of my life been condemned. So these moments
      count for a lot—peace, you know.

      Let the bucket of memory down into the well,
      bring it up. Cool, cool minutes. No one
      stirring, no plans. Just being there.

      This is what the whole thing is about.

                 ~    ~    ~

      When I Met My Muse

      I glanced at her and took my glasses
      off—they were still singing. They buzzed
      like a locust on the coffee table and then
      ceased. Her voice belled forth, and the
      sunlight bent. I felt the ceiling arch, and
      knew that nails up there took a new grip
      on whatever they touched. "I am your own
      way of looking at things," she said. "When
      you allow me to live with you, every
      glance at the world around you will be
      a sort of salvation." And I took her hand.

                 ~    ~    ~

      Objector

      In line at lunch I cross my fork and spoon
      to ward off complicity—the ordered life
      our leaders have offered us. Thin as a knife,
      our chance to live depends on such a sign
      while others talk and The Pentagon from the moon
      is bouncing exact commands: "Forget your faith;
      be ready for whatever it takes to win: we face
      annihilation unless all citizens get in line."

      I bow and cross my fork and spoon: somewhere
      other citizens more fearfully bow
      in a place terrorized by their kind of oppressive state.
      Our signs both mean, "You hostages over there
      will never be slaughtered by my act." Our vows
      cross: never to kill and call it fate.

      "That's all you have to do - just abide in that stillness.

      If you know how to be with that stillness without looking for
      anything else then that stillness is no longer just a stillness and
      that stillness is the Buddha Mind, it is the luminous awareness.

      In that stillness you are going to discover your true nature.

      The discovery of your true nature is the true liberation, is the
      bodhi, is the great awakening."

                     ~Tulku Thubten Rinpoche

      Found at the website http://buddhamandala.org/teaching.html

      posted to Daily Dharma by Anipachen

      from 'THE PATH OF THE BODHISATTVA'
      by Subhana Barzaghi

      Our quality of listening does expand.  At first we are preoccupied by
      our own individual song. Meditation helps us to step outside this song
      and tune into the great song that moves through all of us. The great
      song allows us to hear without judgement, without picking and choosing
      between the ten thousand different voices in the orchestral choir of
      life from the children's cries and laughter to the complaining,
      whining voice, the silent voice of oppression, the weeping voice, the
      critical voice, the joyful, playful voice, the piercing voice of the
      currawong and the deafening voice of the crickets at sunset.  All are
      intertwined in the song, all are part of ourselves, and yet we are
      none of these.

      posted to Allspirit Inspiration by Gill Eardley

      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      Living Transmission

       by David Godman

      I first came across Sri Ramana's teachings in 1974 by reading one of the few books about him that had been published in the West. I read this book in a few hours and immediately my whole world view was transformed. It wasn't just a new piece of information that I could file away with all the other pieces of knowledge I had stored in my brain; it was a living transmission that completely changed the way I perceived myself and the world around me. I didn't have to think about the teachings or convince myself that they were true. I recognized the truth of them as soon as I read them.

      Nor was it just one set of beliefs being replaced by another. It was more a case of a busy, searching mind being utterly silenced by an exposure to the light of a higher power. In the months preceding my discovery of Sri Ramana, I had bought and read many spiritual books. The information they contained had been stored in my memory, but none of it had truly touched me. When I read Ramana Maharshi's words for the first time, my mind actually stopped. I stopped searching and I stopped reading spiritual books. The words had a power in them that silenced my mind. I didn't judge these words and decide that they were correct. The words themselves went straight inside me, stopped the busy-ness of my questing mind and gave me a state of silence that had within itself the conviction 'This is the truth'.

      Living the Inspiration of Sri Ramana Maharshi
      A dialogue between David Godman and Maalok

      http://www.davidgodman.org/interviews/al5.shtml

      posted to Million Paths by Josie

                             photo by Alan Larus http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/ice_2.htm

      If we unbalance Nature, human kind will suffer. Furthermore, we must consider future generations: a clean environment is a human right like any other. It is therefore part of our responsibility towards others to ensure that the world we pass on is as healthy as, if not healthier than we found it.

      -His Holiness the Dalai Lama

      From "The Pocket Dalai Lama," edited by Mary Craig, 2002.

      "Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth.
      Through violence you may murder a hater, but you can't murder hate.
      Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that."

      ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
      (Source unknown)

      "Hatred can never be overcome by hatred. Hatred can only be overcome by
      love. That is the Eternal Law."

      ~The Buddha
      (From the Dhammapada)

      Blessings to all.  May peace and peace and peace be everywhere.

      posted to Daily Dharma by DharmaG

      "Into this mysterious universe we are born, with no apparent set of instructions, no maps or equations, no signs or guideposts, nothing but our equally unfathomable instincts, intuitions, and reasoning abilities to tell us where we came from, why we are here, and what we are supposed to do. What we do possess - perhaps it the key to our survival as a species - is an almost unquenchable need to know. A human being comes into this world with a passionate sense of wonder and inquisitiveness and an equally powerful need for self expression. Yet, somehow these seemingly indelible primal imperatives become eroded, as a rule, after only a few years exposure to modern reality and contemporary educational methods."

      Rabbi Dr. Philip S. Berg, in the Preface to, "The Zohar - Parashat Pinhas", Research Center of Kabbalah Press.

      posted to AlphaWorld

      This arrived today from a friend... thought I'd share it. Love to all... Christiana

      Just a reminder of the man we remember, who said in a speech 38 years ago:

      When I speak of love I am not speaking of some sentimental and weak response. I am speaking of that force which all of the great religions have seen as the supreme unifying principle of life. Love is somehow the key that unlocks the door which leads to ultimate reality. This Hindu-Moslem-Christian-Jewish-Buddhist belief about ultimate reality is beautifully summed up in the first epistle of Saint John:

      Let us love one another; for love is God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. If we love one another God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

      Let us hope that this spirit will become the order of the day. We can no longer afford to worship the god of hate or bow before the altar of retaliation. The oceans of history are made turbulent by the ever-rising tides of hate. History is cluttered with the wreckage of nations and individuals that pursued this self-defeating path of hate. As Arnold Toynbee says : "Love is the ultimate force that makes for the saving choice of life and good against the damning choice of death and evil. Therefore the first hope in our inventory must be the hope that love is going to have the last word."

      We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history there is such a thing as being too late. Procrastination is still the thief of time. Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. The "tide in the affairs of men" does not remain at the flood; it ebbs. We may cry out desperately for time to pause in her passage, but time is deaf to every plea and rushes on. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residue of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late." There is an invisible book of life that faithfully records our vigilance or our neglect. "The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on..." We still have a choice today; nonviolent coexistence or violent co-annihilation.