Highlights, Tuesday, Dec. 21

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 1999
      DAN

      I once met a man from Brazil
      He claimed he was climbing a hill
      He came to the top
      Then made a full stop
      And said, "I'm a vista that's drinking my fill"

      JAN

      And when he was full, he went to a bull
      But its milk was yellow and not very cool
      He shouted out loud:
      "What the heck is this about"
      And the bull said: "you fool!"

      Here now!
      it was but a collective nightmare, that Y2K hysteria, ja?
      here is the
      song about the big picture.

      i love you
      gen

      WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING

      what's the sign? another time?
      *now* who is the enemy?
      what makes one the anti-truth?
      a bleak finality?
      WE COULD CROSS THE FUTURE NOW
      BRING BACK A WAY TO BE
      OR REACH INTO THE PAST AND FIND
      A TWISTED, NIGHTMARE HARMONY

      where's the line ARE YOU DOING TIME
      where's the line?

      GOT YOUR HEAD SO FULL OF WORDS
      buy a pound of soul
      Buddha's westernized for you
      Send dollars and be whole--
      Y2K AND NUKES AFRIGHT
      THOSE WHO DWELL ON FEAR
      BT THE FUTURE'S ONLY BLEAK UNTIL
      WE LOVE EACH OTHER HERE.

      WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING?
      WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING
      ARE YOU DOING TIME
      ARE YOU

      THERE IS NOTHING YET TO SAY
      WHAT IS HAPPENINGHERE?
      Children cry! Mother's moan!
      THE END IS NOWHERE NEAR
      CRAWL OUT OF THAT FOREIGN PLACE
      Truth can hurt
      BUT HEAL
      REALITY IS VIRTUAL
      VIRTUALLY REAL

      "like the LIGHT that IAM"

      lyric through
      gen berlin

      i submit that we call this year OT-OT,
      as they did back in the summer of OT-3.

      gen-na-sis

      JAY

      Dear Everyone,

      I've been a baaaaaaad boy. I've posted to this list without
      introducing myself. Apologies, apologies. And my posting
      was a bit forward of me. Where are my manners? One of the
      pitfalls of email lists, I suppose. We forget our manners.

      I was just in my kitchen thinking about being mindful as
      news about terrorists was playing on the boobtube and --
      whoops -- I spilled some milk while pouring it into my
      coffee.

      Lucky for me it wasn't mercury...

      Anywho, my name is Jay Schneider. I live in Honolulu
      (pretty close, anyway) and have had quite a long life for my
      29 years on this earth. I even have a few crow's toes from
      squinting in the sun and from worrying too much.

      I'm pretty eclectic for someone of my ilk, but consider
      myself an unfettered Christian for the most part. I know
      some of you on this list cringe when I say that, but I trust
      that most of you respect the source and not the lengthened
      shadow of the (human) institution.

      For many years I've been interested in Sufism and have
      always felt an affinity for all the mainstream spiritual
      paths (Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, and all the other
      isms out there). I am a walking meditator -- I'm always
      trying to apprehend God. My weakness, like so many of us,
      is in my conditioning and in my attachment to my persona. I
      get too caught up in the sensual sometimes, and as a result
      find myself thinking/doing/saying things that seem alien to
      me later. You know: "Did I really say *that* this morning?
      Man!"

      Mostly, I'm pretty much a down-to-earth kinda guy who is
      very active and enjoys the company of people who strive to
      live a life that is true to their souls.

      TIM: So over the Internet or through reading a book there is
      no way to gain that *knowing*, and thus no way to judge
      whether someone is 'realized' or not.
      ~~~
      XAN: Actually there is a way. It is to recognize any held
      ideas that the subtle communication and connection among
      those awakening and 'realized" depends on physical presence.
      Once this idea dissolves ... well, you'd be surprised.

      JAN: Getting to know the inner resistances and clearing them
      precedes the undoing of the identification; it is
      unavoidable.
      ~~~
      XAN: Most assuredly this work of vigilant self-honesty is
      unavoidable for any who aspire to no *I* in this lifetime.

      Sri Ramana: Just realize that you are dreaming a dream you
      call the world, and stop looking for ways out. The dream is
      not your problem. *YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU LIKE ONE PART
      OF THE DREAM AND NOT ANOTHER.

      Dan: Thanks, Skye. Just dream that you're realizing you're
      a dream.

      skye: yes "a dream that you're realizing you call the world"
      and are not apart from.

      dan: Stop dreaming you're looking for ways out. Dream that
      I'm telling you to stop dreaming.

      skye: Bit of a contradiction there. No matter, you know me
      dan, i love the dream i call a world. I have chosen to wake
      up TO the world dream as gene says, instead of FROM the
      world dream. I'm not looking for ways to separate *as a
      self* from it. As you well know, much to everyone chagrin
      :-)

      dan: Dream that you stop looking for ways out.

      skye: Do you mean stop dreaming ways to separate myself out
      from the world dream? Done.

      dan: Dream that you've stopped dreaming that I'm telling you
      to stop dreaming.

      skye: Its easy to stop dreaming that you're telling me to
      stop dreaming, for the *individual you* that is dictating
      your separative dream to me is an illusion. But to wake up
      from the dream that i am a world that i love dearly and have
      no problem with? nah i love it too much sorry :-)

      dan: Dream that your problem is no longer that you like one
      part and not another.

      skye: Within the dream there is no separate self able to
      realize that there is or is no longer a problem of liking
      one part and not another.

      dan: Dream that I didn't tell you this.

      skye: done

      dan: Dream that you're a butterfly dreaming that you're
      reading a computer screen. Wake up. Then dream that you
      woke up.

      skye: Woke up to love.

      dan: Dream on you beautiful dreamer.

      skye: back atcha.

      dan: You're not more one part then another.
      You're no problem. You're not mine, you're Dreamy.

      skye: Too cute :-)

      But it is interesting that you have interpreted ramana's
      quote as an individual *you* or *me* that he's speaking to,
      whereas i interpreted him as speaking to a dreamer that is
      to become aware of being undivided from the dream called the
      world and that that dream is not the problem.

      skye: Thank yOu dan Though on a different track, tis a pity
      our culture tends to invalidate dreamers as immorally lazy
      or deluded, yet we would not be able to communicate like
      this over the net if it weren't for them, reminds me
      of........

      ramana: The dream is not your problem. YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT
      YOU LIKE ONE PART OF THE DREAM AND NOT ANOTHER.

      Much love skye

      CHRISTIANA

      Cooperative communal lessons from geese..

      http://www.somerton.k12.az.us/geese.html

      JOSHUA: So why are we talking about non-duality, again?

      DAN:
      When there is no outside, there is no inside.
      When there is no other, there is no self.
      When there is no before, there is no after.

      Looking ahead, looking behind, it is missed.
      Looking outside, looking inside, it is forgotten.
      Looking to others, looking to self, it is disregarded.
      Having no objects, it reveals itself.

      Breaking with conceptualizations of reality, Reality reveals
      Itself to Itself. We discuss this because by not breaking
      with conceptualizations of Reality, ignorance breeds
      ignorance.
      -- Namaste --

      BOB BAYS

      A few months ago I introduced Kay to the list (see her entry
      in Realizers and Confessors). Well, she has finally made an
      appearance on the Net, some of her friends in the UK having
      set up a website inviting all to a retreat she is giving
      next April in Cambridge.

      If anyone is interested (some of our European contingent may
      well be), the site is at
      http://www.kaynextapril.dabsol.co.uk

      Although she is not a Buddhist, Kay follows the Dana
      tradition, in that participants pay only room and board, no
      tuition. So even at $585 (covering meals, lodging and
      meeting facilities for four days) I think it's a bargain!

      OM shantih, Bob B.

      MELODY

      Having sat with Benjamin Creme's talk for a while this
      morning, it opened me back up once again to simply sitting,
      and allowing what ever's coming up.

      (Although the chorus is singing quite clearly that there is
      nothing of benefit to be found in Creme's words, I'm glad I
      followed my intuition rather than the song of the well
      intended choir.)

      He said:

      "One of the great trials of Hercules, if you remember, was
      the slaying of the many-headed Hydra. The Hydra lived in a
      cave, and had nine heads, one of them was immortal.
      Hercules was enjoined to conquer the monster.
      "One word of counsel only I may give," the Teacher said.
      "We rise by kneeling; we conquer by surrendering; we gain by
      giving up. Go forth, O Son of God and Son of Man, and
      conquer."

      Isn't that it in a nutshell? so simple, yet I seem to
      profit by hearing it again and again, first one way and then
      another.....helping me to remember that surrendering isn't a
      one time only deal......surrendering is called for day after
      day, one moment at a time.
      CHRISTIANA

      At the Still Point of Background... the negative *pole* of
      the foreground becomes quite agitated.. It knows that it's
      Show is Being revealed.

      care in *not* attending the cacophany is what we can offer.

      TIM HARRIS

      Show me the 'man' that can 'stop the Buddha' from 'laughing'
      and I will show you the 'he' that 'I know'.

      Buddha may have been a great architect of 'the way' but it
      took a simple, poor, 'disgarded', carpenter with 'dust' on
      his feet to build the 'home'... with his 'wood' (body)...
      with his 'hands' (nails)... with his 'pen' (spear in the
      side)... with his 'blood' (ink).... with our memory
      (paper)... with his 'desires 'in' head' (thorns)... and
      the 'weight of the sins' of 'the fathers' at his 'back'
      (cross).... and with his 'cup' (fear)... Courage has never
      know the likes of him before and I fear it will never know
      it again.

      However we 'choose' or 'choose not' to celebrate Christmas,
      whether it be one day or everyday, let us never forget that
      Jesus was born on this day and regardless of right or wrong,
      this or that, even if we consider the evils that are done
      'only' in his 'name' (label and definitions of that label)
      and not with his 'heart'...

      Jesus saw a 'way' and we must never forget that the true
      meaning of Christmas is not the 'gifts'... the 'gifts' came
      from the 'wise men' (buddhas)... Jesus's gift was his
      sacrafice...

      Perhaps we did what we had to do. Perhaps. But did we
      cross the line when we 'spat' on him?

      ANDREW MACNAB

      Competition is basic to life. Since the first appearance of
      self replicating molecules on this planet, competition has
      driven evolution.
      In multicelled organisms competition is modified; the cells
      in the body compete with each other only in limited ways,
      otherwise they abide each other. In fact, according to
      current theory on cell death (apoptosis) they are actually
      programmed to die unless they continually receive a 'stay
      alive' message from their neighbours. It is the body as a
      whole which competes in the world.
      With social animals, there is a further modification of
      competition, with limits to competition within the social
      group, and the group as a whole competing in the world.
      In human society, there is a similar situation, but the
      social group is expanding, there is constraint on
      competition between individuals there is constraint on
      competition between nations.
      All of this is obvious.
      Competition is not the only dynamic at work, there is also
      symbiosis, the living world as a whole seen as an organism,
      with all the living things within it being parts of its
      body, competing, but also completely interdependant. There
      are limits in the system, any organism that competes too
      succesfully will unbalance the system and conditions will
      change until it is brought back into balance.
      It is interesting to understand the role and dynamics of
      competition, but having understood, what then?

      SKYE

      I too ponder, western culture urges and programs us to
      tackle life competitively, which focuses our consciousness
      primarily on *eternal* reality and specific goals. E.G..
      artists and dreamers are not considered valid if their
      creativity does not compete in the market place.

      But there does seem to be a balanced physical and
      psychological propensity towards cooperation operating
      within the framework of existence, which our external
      competitive ideals seems to have upset.

      As children and adults we naturally and playfully compete
      against ourselves in an urge to outdo old performance with
      new. But when competition becomes an *ideal* at *all*
      levels of activity it becomes determined, rigorous,
      desperate and sometimes deadly, in which a person determines
      their value according to the number of individuals he/she
      has shunted aside. (e.g. Columbine)

      To me the environment is conscious and consciousness of self
      is dependent on the miraculous conscious cooperation exiting
      between mineral vegetable and animal kingdoms. Cells
      therefore have memory within themselves of all the previous
      forms they have been a part of. I think future man will
      discover we are naturally bisexual, but our ideas of love
      and sex are at present distorted and so men and women go to
      war and compete with each other.

      I prefer to live by the fact that life is a cooperative
      venture, an ideal yes, but one that is at least life
      promoting in all levels of activity.
      This great gracious cooperation is based on love, a love
      that has a biological AND spiritual basis.

      NEO

      Listen to your heart and your own inner knowledge. I have
      spent many hours with fear and depression. These are tools
      of the ego that try to keep you from the goal. You cannot
      run from them or suppress them.
      The only way that you can minimize and ultimately abolish
      their power over you is to do exactly what you are doing.
      Sit with the fear, face the fear, explore every aspect of
      the fear, and then go into the core of the fear. Eventually
      it will lose its power over you.

      TIM G.: Contemplating today as the last day of this body's
      life, I get -

      * A profound sense of relief... to be free of the constant
      demands of the mind and of the flesh... release from the
      heavy weight of perceiving Awareness overshadowed by
      physicality...

      * A strong feeling of expectation... as if about to enter
      totally uncharted territory... something entirely new and
      unexperienced (or unremembered)
      about to happen... Wondering what it will be like to feel
      the body die, and what might occur...

      Not exactly the reactions of a 'Realized sage' (who would
      probably not care one way or the other if the body drops),
      but not a shred of fear, either.

      I'm ready to go, if indeed there is anywhere to go.

      Aside from Melody, anyone else?

      JERRY: I ease into it. No relief from anything. I went for
      surgery a few years ago and I was laughing on the operating
      table, getting a kick out of entering unconsciousness. When
      I woke up my first thought was, 'Death is deeper.'

      After saying final words, and the fixation of the thought
      that if there is a tunnel, to head for the center of the
      light, all is released. Just the clear charm of going.
      Then the going. Then gone.

      GLO: The hubby told me once he thought dying would be like
      going under anaesthia, because its so much deeper than
      sleep. I said back, so how would you remember or know to
      say its deeper, if you were really gone like dead? So yeah,
      death must be deeper. Now I have been dead to this reality
      and wide awake to remember consciousness. The living dead,,
      kinda makes me a zombie, huh? Anyway, that's how I picture
      dying slow..if its sudden, it might feel more like the
      suddenness of going under anaesthia.

      JUDI: I'm gonna go screaming and kicking, see if I can't
      catch some of you on the way out! :-)

      HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE MAILING LIST
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ndhighlights

      PHOTOS, GRAPHICS, ARTWORK, OTHER FILES