#2022 - Wednesday, January 5, 2005

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2016 Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Editor: Mark

       .

      - painting "Awakening" by Hans Elmers

      More here: http://www.lucan.nl/schilderijen/galerie.php

      Our lives are lived in apparent opposition.
      The opposition between how we are and how we should be.

      But do we a actually know how we we are without a comparison with the
      'should be'.

      Subtly, identity is maintained by such comparison.

      If I don't know how I should be I don't know how I am.

      Shock! Horror! That will never do!

      So right now, without any comparison, how are we?

      Are we at all?

      - posted to NonDualNetwork by Gary Merrill

      When you have understood that all existence,
      in separation and limitation, is painful, and
      when you are willing and able to live integrally,
      in oneness with all life, as pure being, you have
      gone beyond all need of help. You can help another
      by precept and example and, above all, by your
      being. You cannot give what you do not have and
      you don't have what you are not. You can only give
      what you are - and of that you can give limitlessly.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj from I Am That - Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, The Acorn Press, 1973, posted to MillionPaths by Gloria Lee

       .

      - painting "Welcome" by Hans Elmers

      Dear friends,

      Shabistari's Secret Rose Garden is considered to be
      one of the great works of Persian Sufism. In
      this work, Shabistari expresses a viewpoint of Sufi
      realization similar to the perspective of the
      great Sufi philosopher Ibn Arabi, and Rumi, but
      expressed through the rich Persian poetic
      tradition.

      Again and again the great mystics and saints remind us
      to "cast away your existence entirely."
      This is expressed in many ways in the various world
      traditions: to die in order to live, to lose
      yourself in order to be found.

      Why all this insistence in every tradition on
      self-negation? It is important to understand which
      "self" is being negated. The self that must be "cast
      away," "discarded" is the false self, the
      little self, the ego, the false sense of "me'.

      Until the ego self is truly dropped, it rules your
      perception of reality like a miser. That ego
      has a secret it desperately must hide from your
      everyday awareness: it doesn't really exist. At
      best you could say the ego is like a tension in the
      psyche, but it isn't a real thing in and of
      itself.

      So long as a person believes in the reality of that
      phantom ego, so long as he or she identifies
      with that nagging cramp of the "me"-sense, then
      stepping outside of it is inconceivable,
      terrifying. The loss of ego is mistakenly assumed to
      be the death of self. Recoiling from that
      fear, the psyche reflexively limits your perception of
      everything around you, crippling the
      consciousness, all in order to protect you against
      "death." The result, however, is that the
      simple truth remains hidden: The ego does not exist,
      and you are not the ego; you will survive the
      loss of ego.

      The way out of this trap is to -- with deep love,
      infinite patience, elegant balance, and
      unshakeable determination -- loosen the ego's bindings
      until it falls away naturally.

      When you accomplish that, you'll stand in mute
      amazement. For, when the ego "you" has left, "when
      you go forth," the Divine One "will come in," and
      "unveil His beauty" to you. And, although that
      radiant beauty reveals itself to be everywhere, it is
      also recognized as contentedly abiding in
      the "heart's chamber."

      from Ivan Grainger's, Chaikhana site, posted to Satsangdiary by Alan Jacobs

      This body is
      Just borrowed water of the ocean
      Encased in a bag of skin
      Strengthened by a structure of calcium
      Visiting
      This desolate
      Solid
      Earth,

      And
      When the time comes
      It will return
      Back to the ocean
      Whence it came

      Yosy Flug, posted to SufiMystic

       .

      - painting "Together" by Hans Elmers

      "The Verge of Tears"

      You make our souls tasty like rose
      marmalade. You cause us to fall flat

      on the ground like the shadow of
      a cypress still growing at its tip.

      Rainwater through a mountain forest,
      we run after you in different ways.

      We live like the verge of tears inside
      your eyes. Don't cry! You trick some

      people with gold ropes, tie them up and
      leave them. Others you pull near at dawn.

      You're the one within every attraction.
      All silence. You are not alone, never

      that, but you must be distracted, because
      look, you've taken the food you were

      going to give Jesus out to the stable
      and put it down in front of the donkey.

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 2950, Version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin, The Glance, Viking-Penguin, 1999, posted to Sunlight

      What the Heart Wants

      See then
      what the heart wants,
      that pliable iron
      sprung to the poppy's redness,
      the honey's gold, winged
      as the heron-lit water is:
      by reflecting.
      As an aged elephant answers
      the slightest, first gesture of hand,
      it puts itself at the mercy --
      utterly docile, the forces
      that brought it there vanished,
      fold into fold.
      And the old-ice ivory, the unstartlable
      black of the eye that has traveled so far
      with the fringed, peripheral howdah
      swaying behind, look mildly back
      as it swings the whole bulk of the body
      close to the ground. Over and over
      it does this, bends to what asks.
      Whatever asks, heart kneels and offers to bear.

      - Jane Hirschfield, The October Palace, posted to truevision by Eric Ashford

       .

      - painting "Compassion" by Hans Elmers

      "You can't be enlightened unless first your heart breaks."

      - Judi Rhodes

      i think right now, plunging our heart into the world of suffering, we just might get lucky and have it break. Don't be afraid dears. Take it all on. Only when the suffering of others fills our heart beyond the brim will it break into pieces never to be re-molded into "our" heart again - but only into this big ole heart that holds all of the world's suffering in its healing expanse.

      - Dharma Grandmother, from personal notes - posted to DailyDharma