#2008 - Sunday, December 19. 2004

  • mark otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2008 Sunday, December 19, 2004 Editor: Mark

      .

      - Editor's note: This edition of the HL's is dedicated to the Woodyard family - Vicky, Bob and Rob, who are dealing with the ultimate challenge, that of saying goodbye... May their journeys all be worthwhile...

      The two old, simple problems ever intertwined,
      Close home, elusive, present, baffled, grappled.
      By each successive age insoluble, pass'd on,
      To ours to-day--and we pass on the same.

      - Walt Whitman "Life and Death," posted to nondualnow by Ben Hassine

      One may not reach the dawn save by the path of the night.

      - Khalil Gibran, posted to AlphaWorld

      Love Untitled 14

      I am a fish, caught
      and scaled alive,
      tossed on the deck,

      body heaving with
      the other souls

      netted in love.
      I am flayed and chained
      by this wanting,

      this hunger for the sea
      I come from, for

      the taste of salt and
      the feel of waves
      as I dive through them,

      for the bright clicks
      of dolphins and

      the moans of whales,
      for the sound
      of your voice and

      the taste of your words
      on the morning.

      When you are away
      for the day
      my soul is gutted

      and sold dockside
      at 59 cents per pound.

      © Zen Oleary December 18, 2004, posted to SufiMystic

      IMPATIENTLY

      Too much attracted
      to a Material World
      that is not Real
      she still has Depth.

      And of a kind I know...
      for I was there... once.

      Because of the many Journeys
      I have made
      forwards and backwards
      I know where she is.

      And she is Safe.

      For in Time to Come...
      she will find herself...
      within the Depth of the Being...
      she is.

      She will find herself
      without the Earth
      and all its Troubles and all its woes.

      For already she is touching
      the Rim of Bliss...
      and reaching.

      And from where I am...
      I can see...
      that the Earth in her...
      is fading.

      To never be again...
      once she has found the Place
      from where I'm watching her...
      impatiently.

      - From the Poems of Gerardus, posted to CosmicCookies

      .

      To find a buddha,
      all you have to do is see your nature.
      Your nature is the buddha.
      And the buddha is the person who's free;
      free of plans, free of cares.
      If you don't see your nature
      and run around all day looking
      somewhere else, you'll never find a buddha.

      - Bodhidharma, posted to DailyDharma

      M:There is in the body a current of energy, affection and intelligence, which guides, maintains and energizes the body. Discover that current and stay with it. Of course, all these are manners of speaking. Words are as much a barrier. as a bridge. Find the spark of life that weaves the tissues of your body and be with it. It is the only reality the body has.

      Q: What happens to that spark of life after death?

      M: It is beyond time. Birth and death are but points in time. Life weaves eternally its many webs. The weaving is in time, but life itself IS timeless. Whatever name and shape you give to its expressions, it is like the ocean never changing, ever changing.

      Q: All you say sounds beautifully convincing. yet my teeling of being JUST a person in a world strange and alien, often inimical and dangerous, does not cease. Being a person, limited in space and time, how can I possibly realize myself as the opposite; a de-personalized, universalized awareness of nothing in particular?

      M: You assert yourself to be what you are not and deny yourself to be what you are. You omit the element of pure cognition, of awareness free from all personal distortions. Unless you admit the reality of chit, you will never know yourself.

      Q: What am I to do? I do not see myself as you see me. Maybe you are right and I am wrong, but how can I cease to be what I feel I am?

      M: A prince who believes himself to be a beggar can be convinced conclusively in one way only: he must behave as a prince and see what happens. Behave as if what I say is true and judge by what actually happens. All I ask is the little faith needed for making the first step. With experience will come confidence and you will not need me any more. I know what you are and I am telling you. Trust me for a while.

      Q: To be here and now, I need my body and its senses. To understand, I need a mind.

      M: The body and the mind are only symptoms of ignorance, of misapprehension. Behave as if vou were pure awareness, bodiless and mindless, spaceless and timeless, beyond 'where' and 'when' and 'how'. Dwell on it, think of it, learn to accept its reality. Don't oppose it and deny it all the time. Keep an open mind at least. Yoga is bending the outer to the inner. Make your mind and body express the real which is all and beyond all. By doing you succeed, not by arguing.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj from I Am That

      Death is present in all we do. It is what makes things profound, the degree to which death is present in what we say, how it is integrated into our reality.

      Death is the stillness.

      So when death comes it comes into who we are. And if the stillness is deep, if it goes to the center, life and death have become one.

      My concert last night was Rumi's Wedding Night, an honoring of the tradition that the anniversary of his death be regarded as the moment of his union with his Beloved, God, Allah, The Friend. His death was a celebration into the arms of the divine.

      But death is a very rich mixture indeed, much more than celebration, more than sadness. It is the merging of all.

      I learned today that my friend Cheryl's father passed away last night. She had come to my concert and then gone to him as he was leaving us. I had been to visit him with her, played the flute for him, told a few stories, and so I was connected to him, felt his beautiful warrior energy, seen the powerful yet frail old man the daughter loved.

      There is an inexpressible beauty in her choices, no way to explain.

      So in the time of death her grief, love, need for him to stay, need for him to go, blossom in this perfect moment, a truth so deeply hurtful as to be beautiful in the finality it touches, requires.

      I saw the clouds in her eyes after the concert as she left, saying she thought tonight was the night.

      And it was.

      I remember when my grandmother, Skipper, died when I was in my early twenties. I remember only feeling the completion of something so beautiful I could not reconcile it with what death was supposed to mean. Her life, in her death had become simply beautiful.

      Death becomes the doorway now, for us as well as those who pass.

      - Emanations, Copyright © 2004 by John MacEnulty, posted to truevision

      Tonight, take my spirit totally from my body, so that I
      may no longer have shape and name in the world!
      At this moment I am drunk in Thee - give me another
      cup! Then I may be obliterated from the two worlds in Thee,
      and be done with it.
      When I have been annihilated through Thee and be-
      come what Thou knowest, then I will take the cup of non-
      existence and drink it, cup after cup.
      When the spirit becomes radiant through Thee,
      when the candle lights up - if not consumed by Thee it is raw,
      raw.
      Give me now the wine of nonexistence instant by
      instant; when I have entered nonexistence, I will not know
      the house from its roof.
      When your nonexistence increases, the spirit will
      prostrate itself to you a hundred times - oh you to whose
      nonexistence thousands of existences are slave!
      Give me wine, measure by measure! Deliver me from
      my own existence! Wine is Thy special grace, intellect Thy
      general grace.
      Send up waves from nonexistence to steal me away!
      How long will I pace the Oceans shore in fear?
      The snare of my king Shams al-Din is catching
      prey in Tabriz, but I have no fear of the snare, for I am
      within it.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 1716, translation by William C. Chittick The Sufi Path of Love

      Only the man who no longer fears death has ceased to be a slave.

      - Montaigne

      As long as you do not know how to die and come to life again, you are but a poor guest on this dark earth.

      - Goethe

      .