Re: Nondual Digest June 19

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 1999
      CanListen@... wrote:

      > 1) Thanks for the website and the material presented
      > 2) I lost yesterday's lengthy Krishnamurti quote and would dearly love to
      > have access to it again. Could you tell me the source, send it to me, or
      > repeat for me yesterday's (6/19/99) presentations?
      > Thanks, for whatever you can do.

      Okay. The material follows. And thank you for the work you do in your
      part of the world.
      ---Jerry

      From: PhamDLuan@...

      KKT: Excerpt from the book "J. Krishnamurti
      as I Knew Him" by Susunaga Weeraperuma.
      Enjoy!

      AWARENESS IS A GAME

      Susunaga Weeraperuma: After all these years of
      self-observation, isn't it shameful that the image-
      making process still continues in my mind? The
      torrential rain of thought never stops pouring down.
      One feels depressed in defeat.

      Krishnamurti: Why do you judge yourself? As a
      child you must have played games. Awareness
      is also like a game. If you play only, for the fun
      of it, does it matter whether you win or lose?

      SW: I find that awareness is not continuous. There
      are flashes of awareness. The flashes stop and then
      there are moments of dullness. One is suddenly
      aware again. This intermittent nature of awareness
      is a problem.

      K: Awareness does not have to be continuous:
      seldom is it continuous. When you criticize
      yourself by saying that awareness is not continuous,
      it shows that you have formed a concept of awareness,
      an ideal, a standard. Thereafter you try to conform to
      that standard established by yourself. Sir, awareness
      is not a self-imposed practice. You cannot practise
      awareness. When you have an insight into the way
      your mind works, do not become greedy for more
      insights by saying the mind should be aware all the
      time.

      SW: I feel fatigued after trying to be aware from
      moment to moment.

      K: Take a rest when you are tired. After you have
      refreshed yourself, then you are ready for work again.
      Self-observation involves very hard work. Without
      energy you cannot work and when energy has
      depleted by work then you have to rest again.

      SW: I seem to expend more energy when the
      mind is struggling to be alert.

      K: Struggling to be alert is a waste of energy
      whereas BEING alert generates energy. Have
      you noticed that there is actually an increased
      energy when you come to terms with yourself?
      Let us consider fear. The mind loves to escape
      from fear by justifying its existence or brushing
      it aside. You do not eliminate fear by escaping
      from it. But the moment the fact of fear is
      accepted and fully faced, without running away
      from it, fear disappears and a new energy comes
      into being.

      SW: The memories of certain pleasant and
      unpleasant experiences often recur. Certain
      thoughts are so deeply entangled in consciousness
      that they seem to be permanently residing there.

      K: Whenever a thought recurs you must look at
      it anew. An annoying thought or a pleasurable
      thought that keeps on emerging has a story to
      tell. Why not allow the fellow to reveal his own
      story? Can't you find out a little more about the
      fellow each time he emerges?

      SW: My other difficulty is the rapidity of the
      thought process. It moves so fast that I cannot
      keep pace with it.

      K: It will calm down as you uncover the layers
      of the unconscious. You must lay bare the
      unconscious so that there are no dark corners
      within it.

      SW: I experience periods of tranquility, when
      thought has temporarily fallen into abeyance.
      It is a pity that these periods are not of longer
      duration.

      K: Why ask for more? Surely it is thought that
      is demanding tranquility. There will certainly be
      no tranquility so long as thought operates. On
      one occasion a very learned friend remarked that
      he had read a great deal with the result that there
      was no space in his mind. Can a mind that is very
      active and full of its own noise ever have the silence
      to receive something untouched by thought? Sir,
      if I may suggest, try to be alone for at least one
      hour every day. During this period you should not
      read, work or enjoy the company of your friends.
      You may devote this time for taking a solitary walk
      or observing nature. It is a sheer delight to watch
      the birds in flight, the lovely green trees and the
      vast open skies. The mind loses its sensitivity
      whenever there is no communion with nature.
      Live close to nature.

      SW: It is necessary to know every thought?

      K: You cannot possibly know every thought.
      There are far too many of them. The stream
      of consciousness is enormous and powerful.
      Only by understanding the limitations of
      thought can you transcend it. The very act of
      understanding is also the act of crossing this
      stream. You have got to walk out of it. Sir,
      walk out of it right now!