#1995 - Monday, December 6, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      #1995 - Monday, December 6, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      One doesn't discover new lands without
      consenting to lose sight of the shore
      for a very long time.

           - Andre Gide

      “There are some things one can only achieve by a deliberate leap in the  opposite direction. One has to go abroad in order to find the home one has lost.”

      Franz Kafka

      “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”

      Joseph Brodsky

      “Speech is for the convenience of those who are hard of hearing; but there are many fine things which we cannot say if we have to shout."

      Henry David Thoreau

      "There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book."

      Marcel Proust

      posted on AlphaWorld

      photo by Alan Larus

      Sisyphus and the Burden of Life

      From Nothing Special

      By Charlotte Joko Beck

      If we can see that there is just this moment, then pushing the rock up the hill
      or watching it roll back down are in a way the same thing. Our ordinary
      interpretation is that Sisyphus's task is difficult and unpleasant. Yet all that
      happens is simply pushing the rock and watching it roll back, moment by
      moment. Like Sisyphus, we are all just doing what we're doing moment by
      moment. But to that activity we add judgments, ideas. Hell lies not in
      pushing the rock, but in thinking about it, in creating ideas of hope and
      disappointment, in wondering if we will finally get the rock to stay at the top.
      "I've worked so hard! Maybe this time the boulder will stay."

      Our efforts do make things happen, and in making things happen, we get to
      the next second. Perhaps the boulder will stay at the top for a while; perhaps
      it won't. Neither event is in itself good or bad. The weight of the boulder, the
      burden, is the thought that our life is a struggle, that it should be other than it
      is. When we judge our burden to be unpleasant, we look for ways to escape.
      Perhaps one person gets drunk to forget about pushing the boulder. Another
      manipulates people into helping push it. Often we try to shift the burden onto
      someone else so we can escape the work.

      What would be the enlightened state for King Sisyphus? Just to push the rock
      and to have abandoned hope that his life will be other than it is.

      Because we are human, we think that feeling good is the aim of life. But if we
      simply push our current boulder and practice being aware of what goes on
      with us as we push, we slowly transform.

      When we truly live each moment, what happens to the burden of life? What
      happens to the boulder? If we are totally what we are, in every second, we
      begin to experience life as joy. Standing between us and a life of joy are our
      thoughts, our ideas, our expectations, and our hopes and fears. It's not that
      we have to be totally willing to push the rock. We can be unwilling, so long as
      we acknowledge our unwillingness and simply feel it. Unwillingness is fine. A
      major part of any serious practice is "I don't want to do it." And we don't. But
      when our unwillingness drifts into efforts to escape, that's another matter.
      "I'll call my friends and we'll talk about how terrible things are."

      Our practice is to see that we are just pushing-to get that basic fact. .
      Nobody realizes this all the time; I certainly don't. But I notice that people
      who have been practicing for some time begin to have a sense of humor
      about their burden. After all, the thought that life is a burden is only a
      concept. We're simply doing what we're doing, second by second by second.
      The measure of a fruitful practice is that we feel life less as a burden and
      more as a joy. That does not mean that there is no sadness, but the
      experience of sadness is exactly the joy.

      posted on nondualnow by Patrice Brown

      UTAGAWA HIROSHIGE
      Yokkaichi
      Late Edo ( 1833-34)
      53 Stations on the Tokkaido

      The true nature of appearances is that they've never been born
      If birth seems to happen it's just clinging, nothing more
      The spinning wheel of existence has neither a base nor a root
      If things seem to be stable, that's only a thought
      The true nature of the mind is union, inseparability
      If you separate its aspects, you're hooked on some view

      The sign of the true lamas is that they hold a lineage
      The ones who make stuff up are just being dumb
      The mind's basic reality is like the clear and open sky
      But the dark clouds of thoughts just cover it all up
      So let the lama's pith advice
      Be the wind that blows those clouds away

      Even confused thoughts themselves are clear light
      that shines so  brilliantly
      Experiences so bright like sun and moonlight
      Without any direction, clarity shines timelessly
      You cannot hold it, you can't say what it is
      So many kinds of certainty shine like the stars in the sky

      Whatever arises is the greatest bliss
      Its nature is simplicity, the dharmakaya expanse
      The six dependent appearances are empty naturally
      This natural flow is effortless, there's not a klesha in sight
      Within this basic state, completely relaxed
      Wisdom without fixation abides continuously
      The three kayas inseparable—the greatest miracle

                  ~Songs of Milarepa

      found at the website
      http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/issues/2002/winter/experiences
      posted on Daily Dharma

      This may interest some members- so i am passing it on. Regards, Alan

      "We are very pleased to announce a wonderful new book from the pen
      of Ramesh S. Balsekar. All material in this book is never before
      published.

      Wayne Liquorman calls it, "The best book from Ramesh since Peace
      and Harmony in Daily Living."

      THE ONE IN THE MIRROR By Ramesh S. Balsekar

      In this book Ramesh gives the essence of his Teaching in short, simple,
      readily understandable passages. Subjects covered range from "Free
      Will" to "Meditation" to "Human Relationships." The book is a collection
      of quotes, writings and aphorisms, some just a single sentence and
      others several paragraphs long, all written by Ramesh himself during
      the 2003 Kovalam Seminar. Each piece is a sparkling jewel through
      which the Teaching shines forth and is complete in itself. Thus the book
      can be opened randomly and enjoyed in small delicious bites. "

      Softcover 98 pages $13

      and then Latest Releases

      posted on SatsangDiaryGroup by Alan Adams-Jacobs

      A haiku by the Zen poet Basho.

      When you read this poem, ask yourself, What does it mean to reach the journey's end?
      What does it mean to be still alive? And what is autumn?

      Ivan
      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      Don’t externalize your power.
      Don’t externalize your delight.
      Don’t externalize your purpose.

       ============

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      Journey's end--

      By Basho
      (1644 - 1694)

      Translated by Lucien Stryk and Takashi Ikemoto

      Journey's end--
      still alive,
      this autumn evening.

      --from Zen Poetry: Let the Spring Breeze Enter

      The Circle of Life as Taught by Little Deer and Shakti

      This wonderful story for dog lovers or the mystically inclined may be read online.
      The link is being given due to length, but Michael Bowes knows how to tell a tale.