#1989 - Sunday, November 28, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2004

      Give up what you guessed
      about a whirring heart, the little
      beaks and claws, their constant hunger.
      We're the nervous ones.
      If even one of our violent number
      could be gentle
      long enough that one of them
      found it safe inside
      our finally untroubled and untroubling gaze,
      who wouldn't hear
      what singing completes us?

      ~ Li-Young Lee ~

      (Book of My Nights)

      #1989 - Sunday, November 28, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply' on your email program, compose your message, and 'Send'.

      All the editors will see your letter.

      "What defines the unawake self more than anything else is its total and absolute fascination with itself."
      ~ Adyashanti
      posted on nondualnow

      "Have we shared this together? Because it is your
      life, not my life. It is your life of sorrow, of
      tragedy, of confusion, guilt, reward, punishment. All
      that is your life. If you are serious you have tried
      to untangle all this. You have read some book, or
      followed a teacher, or listened to somebody, but the
      problem remains. These problems will exist as long as
      the human mind moves within the field of the activity
      of the self; that activity of the self must create
      more and more and more problems. When you observe,
      when you become extraordinarily aware of this activity
      of the self, then the mind becomes extraordinarily
      quiet, sane, healthy, holy. And from that silence our
      life in everyday activity is
      transformed."

      ~J. Krishnamurti

      From personal notes, source unknown.

      posted on Daily Dharma

      `A Brahmin was having his bath in the river. Then he noticed a
      scorpion almost drowning. So he lifted the scorpion and put it on the
      ground. But before he could put it on the ground, the scorpion bit
      his hand. Many people were sitting around and some said to him, `What
      have you achieved? You have spared him only to get yourself bitten'.
      His answer was, `I did what I had to do according to my nature. The
      scorpion did what it had to do according to its nature'.

      ---------------

      `A rabbi who had the Understanding lived in a tiny room with no
      stools to sit on and a desk which served as his bed at night. Anybody
      who came to see him had to sit on the ground or stand to talk. One of
      his visitors said, `Rabbi, where is your furniture?' The rabbi
      said, `Where is yours?' The visitor replied, `I am only passing
      through.' The rabbi replied, `So am I.'

      www.plotinus.com

      posted on MillionPaths

      "I see what you too could see, here and now, but for the wrong focus of your attention.You give no attention to your self. Your mind is all with things, people and ideas, never with your self. Bring your self into focus, become aware of your own existence. See how you function, watch the motives and results of your actions. Study the prison you have built around yourself, by inadvertence."  - Nisargadatta

      posted on MillionPaths

      MORE NIZ

      “Events in time and space - birth and death, cause and effect - these may be taken as one;  but the body and the embodied are not of the same order of reality.  The body exists in time and space, transient and limited, while the dweller is timeless and spaceless, eternal and all-pervading.  To identify the two is a grievous mistake and the cause of endless suffering. You can speak of the mind and body as one, but the body-mind is not the underlying reality.”

      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      “Desires are just waves in the mind. You know a wave when you see one.  A desire is just a thing among many.   I feel no urge to satisfy it, no action  needs to be taken on it.  Freedom from desire means this: the compulsion to  satisfy is absent.”

      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      “If I ask you what is the taste of your mouth, all you can do is to say: it is neither sweet nor bitter nor sour nor astringent; it is what remains when all these tastes are not.  Similarly, when all distinctions and reactions are no more, what is remains is reality, simple and solid.”

      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      “Pleasure and pain alternate.  Happiness is unshakable.  What you can seek and find is not the real thing.  Find what you have never lost, find the inalienable.”

      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      “Discover all you are not.  Body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, time, space, being and not-being, this or that - nothing concrete or abstract you can point out to is you.  A mere verbal statement will not do - you may  repeat a formula endlessly without any result  whatsoever.  You must watch yourself continuously - particularly your mind - moment by moment, missing nothing.  This witnessing is essential for the separation of the self from the not-self.”

      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      posted on AlphaWorld

      A light poem from someone named Ivan today.

      I hope you enjoy...

      Ivan
      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      Look for the one who dreams through you.

       ============

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana

      When the Spring Thaw Comes

      By Ivan M. Granger
      (1969 - )

      Something they