#1978 - Monday, November 15, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2004

      to love what is mortal;
      to hold it

      against your bones knowing
      your own life depends on it;
      and, when the time comes to let it go,
      to let it go.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (American Primative)

      #1978 - Monday, November 15, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      KNOWING

      Suppose it were forbidden to say "I know"
      and only allowed to say "I believe I know."

           - Ludwig Wittgenstein

      Along the Way

            Morality is the attunement of oneself to the
             atmosphere one finds oneself in at any time.
             It is always changing with the evolutionary
             process to which the individual is subject.
             Morality is relative from place to place, time
             to time, but the necessity for morality is
             absolute.

                     - Swami Krishnananda

             ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      Facets of Spirituality
      Complied by S. Bhagyalakshmi
      Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, 1986

      AlphaWorld

      “I like to feel that I have transcended my destiny.”

      - Anaïs Nin

      “Each man has only one genuine vocation -  to find the way to himself. His task is to discover his own destiny - not an arbitrary one - and live it out wholly and resolutely within himself. Everything else is only a would-be existence, an attempt at evasion, a flight back to the ideals of the masses, conformity; and fear of one's inwardness.”

      - Hermann Hesse

      "Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence.  A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny.  And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over. "

      - Octavia Butler, science fiction writer

      “If you want to build a robust universe, one that will never go wrong, then you don't want to build it like a clock, for the smallest bit of grit will cause it to go awry. However, if things at the base are utterly random, nothing can make them more disordered. Complete randomness at the heart of things is the most stable situation imaginable - a divinely clever way to build a universe.”

      - Heinz Pagels

      MillionPaths

      Live your own life.
      That is to say, where you are, as you are, with what you are...
      Accept the situation in which you find yourself and try, at the same time, to adapt to it.
      You cannot escape from it.

      (Swami Prajnanpad - from the book: Indian Wisdom, 365 days)

      Allspirit Inspiration

      From 'Start Where You Are' by Pema Chodron

      In terms of "Three objects, three poisons, and three seeds of vir­tue," when these poisons arise, the instruction is to drop the story line, which means-instead of acting out or repressing-use the sit­uation as an opportunity to feel your heart, to feel the wound; Use it as an opportunity to touch that soft spot. Underneath all that craving or aversion or jealousy or feeling wretched about yourself, underneath all that hopelessness and despair and depression, there's something extremely soft, which is called bodhichitta.

      When these things arise, train gradually and very gently without making it into a big deal. Begin to get the hang of feeling what's underneath the story line. Feel the wounded heart that's under­neath the addiction, self-loathing, or anger: If someone comes along and shoots an arrow into your heart, it's fruitless to stand there and yell at the person. It would be much better to turn your attention to the fact that there's an arrow in your heart and to relate to that wound. When we do that, the three poisons become three seeds of how to make friends with ourselves. They give us the chance to work on patience and kindness, the chance not to give up on ourselves and not to act out or repress. They give us the chance to change our habits completely. This is what helps both ourselves and others. This is instruction on how to turn unwanted circumstances into the path of enlightenment. By following it, we can transform all that messy stuff that we usually push away into the path of awakening: reconnecting with our soft heart, our clarity, and our ability to open further.

      ~  ~  ~

      The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom
      on fruits, can be preserved only by the most
      delicate handling. Yet we do not treat ourselves
      nor one another thus tenderly.

      ~Henry David Thoreau   'Walden'

      SatsangDiary

      Look nakedly at whatever appears at the moment it appears. By relaxing in
      that state, awareness-in which there is no grasping at appearances as
      something-arises nondualistically, intrinsically freed.

      From the introduction of the book, "You Are The Eyes of The World".

      With all your science can you tell how it is, and whence it is, that Light comes into the soul?
      - Henry David Thoreau

      MillionPaths

      102   When vision is focused on the outside, who can know the truth, whether of the real Self or of the world? But, with the mind turned inwards, the sage knows the truth of both by the eye of right awareness.

      Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad

      http://www.davidgodman.org/rteach/rpv_intro.shtml

      UnsayMyself

      Happiness cannot be found through great effort and willpower,
      but is already present, in open relaxation and letting go.
      Don’t strain yourself, there is nothing to do or undo.
      Let the entire game happen on its own.

      Gendun Rinpoche

      After the game,
      the king and the pawn