#1973 - Monday, November 8, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8 9:04 PM
      #1973 - Monday, November 8, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Bring your cup near me,
      for I am a sweet old vagabond
      with an infinite leaking barrel
      of light, and laughter, and truth,
      that the Beloved has tied to my back.

      Dear One, indeed,
      please bring your heart near me,
      for all I care about is quenching your thirst for freedom.
      All a sane man can ever care about is giving love.

      from everydayzen.org

      Daily Dharma
      "Better than a meaningless story of
          a thousand words
      is a single word of deep meaning
      which, when heard, produces peace.
      From the book, "Awakening the Buddha Within," published by Broadway Books
      ~   ~  ~
      "For me the spiritual path has always been learning how to die. That
      involves not just death at the end of this particular life, but all
      the falling apart that happens continually. The fear of death - which
      is also the fear of groundlessness, of insecurity, of not having it
      all together - seems to be the most fundamental thing that we have to
      work with... We have so much fear of not being in control, of not
      being able to hold on to things. Yet the true nature of things is
      that you're never in control. You're never in control. You can never
      hold on to anything. That's the nature of how things are... So my own
      path has been training to relax with groundlessness and the panic
      that accompanies it.... training to die continually."
      ~~ Pema Chodron,

      from an interview with her in Utne Reader  "The Wisdom of
      Hopelessness" May-June 1997

      November 6, 2004–January 2, 2005
      Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
      In the spring of 2003, the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery received a bequest of more than 4,500 woodblock prints, representing 240 artists, from the world-renowned Robert O. Muller Collection of Japanese prints. Muller (1911–2003) was a Connecticut-based collector who over the course of seventy years had assembled one of the world's finest collections of Japanese prints from the late 1860s through the 1940s.
      Online Exhibition:
      Toyama Plain 1937

      Kawase Hasui , (Japan, 1883-1957)

      Watercolor on paper, Robert O. Muller Collection

      Along the Way
      Nothing ever happened or ever will.  You
      have always been perfect Love and Peace.
      What changes is not real and what is Real
      cannot change.  You are that Secret, that
      Purity beyond change and description, but
      if you touch the "I" you become polluted with
      pride.  The "I" rising from the effort of ego is
      not the real "I."  The real "I" knows that every-
      thing is my reflection-projection.  Simply
      knowing "I AM I AM" is effortlessness, is
      meditation, and is Sahaja, the natural state
      of Being.

                                          - Papaji

      "The Truth Is"
      Sri H.W.L. Poonja
      Yudhishtara, 1995

      Annamalai Swami - 'No man comes to the Father except through me.'

      Q: There is another biblical statement that is very popular among Christians: ‘No man comes to the Father except through me.’ How does Swami understand this statement of Jesus?

      AS: When Jesus said ‘Except through me’ he was speaking of the Self, not the body, but people have misunderstood this.

      On another occasion Jesus said, ‘The kingdom of heaven is within you’. He did not mean that it is within the body. This ‘you’ Jesus spoke of is the Self, infinite consciousness.

      Although a sage who has stabilised in the Self may use the word ‘me’, we should not make the mistake of thinking that he is the body. Whenever the jnani, who has become one with the infinite, pure consciousness, says ‘me’, he is speaking not of the body, the form, but of the one consciousness.

      In the absolute, single, formless, immanent consciousness, where is Jesus or any other jnani? All is one in consciousness. It is impossible to differentiate between people there.

      The one who realises this state beyond the mind expresses the truth in his own way. Those who are seeking to understand this truth always try to understand the message through the misleading medium of words. They misinterpret with their minds and misunderstand what the teacher is really trying to say.

      Many Christians take that phrase ‘No man comes to the Father except through me’ to mean through the form of Jesus Christ alone. Because of this interpretation they condemn all other concepts of God and all other religions.

      In essence all religions are one. Bhagavan once told me: ‘If the ego is destroyed by proper self-enquiry and if the non-dual consciousness is realised, that alone is the truth. Then, in that non-dual consciousness, where are all the different religions? And where are all the different religious masters? All is one in that state.’

      edited by DAVID GODMAN

      For Tibet Lovers and Photographers

      While perusing another of my favourite topic, chess, I
      came across this website and got curious and thought I
      shared this with some cyber-friends ...

      Here's a blurb to entice you;

      "But the real wonder of that unforgettable day was
      revealed a week later when, back in Amsterdam, I
      collected my photographs from the shop. Out of those
      pictures stepped the most beautiful girl I've ever
      seen. She was in six of the innumerable pictures I
      turned out to have made in that valley, and from their
      order I could tell she had been in a group of children
      we encountered in one of the chang villages. But I did
      not remember her at all. I was shocked. How could I
      have forgotten such a face?"

      “History does not happen randomly.”
      (Agliè) Umberto Eco, Foucault’s Pendulum.
      “Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected from happening.”
      Barbara Tober
      “Truth is not only stranger than fiction, it is more telling. To know that a thing actually
      happened gives it a poignancy, touches a chord, which a piece of acknowledged fiction
      misses. It is to touch this chord that some authors have done everything they could to
      give you the impression that they are telling the plain truth.”
      Somerset Maugham, A Writer's Notebook, p. 248
      I had a strict rule, which I think secret services follow, too: No piece of information is superior to any other. Power lies in the having them all on file and then finding the connections. There are always connections; you have only to want to find them.”
      (Belbo) Umberto Eco, Foucault’s Pendulum.
      "I fell in love with the thought that a human life could be a priestly conduit, a connecting link between earth and sky. As I grew and stumbled and, most important, as I began to love and be loved, I realized that the ultimate priest is the lover inside us"
      Marianne Williamson
      "Love is the affinity which links and draws together the elements of the world... Love, in fact, is the agent of universal synthesis."
      Teilhard de Chardin