#1966 - Sunday, October 31, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      One Heart -- Li-Young Lee

      One Heart

      Look at the birds. Even flying
      is born

      out of nothing. The first sky
      is inside you, friend, open

      at either end of day.
      The work of wings

      was always freedom, fastening
      one heart to every falling thing.

      ~ Li-Young Lee ~

      (Book of My Nights)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/One_Heart.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings:
      www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      #1966 - Sunday, October 31, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Do not go where the path may lead,
      go instead where there is no path
      and leave a trail.

           - Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Ben Hassine ~ Awakened Awareness

      Awareness cannot be taught, and when it is present it has no context. All contexts are created by thought and are therefore corruptible by thought. Awareness simply throws light on what is, without any separation whatsoever.

      — Toni Packer

      Jan Roxborough ~ Awakened Awareness

      Beyond the Thinking Mind.

      Become at ease with the state of "not knowing."

      This takes you beyond mind

      because the mind is always trying to conclude and interpret.

      It is afraid of not knowing.

      So, when you can be at ease with not knowing,

      you have already gone beyond the mind.

      A deeper knowing that is non-conceptual then arises out of that state.

      ~ Eckhart Tolle

      Alan Larus, writing from Norway

      Today they destroyed the last grocery shop ( what are they are called
      when it's not a supermarket?) selling over the counter only.

      It has been there since I was a child with two and three generations at most
      living upstairs.
      A little bit like entering the twilight zone.
      Now as it was next to Ikea it is removed to give way to a new road out of
      their parking area.

      We used to have a shop like that at my summerhouse too.
      The owner was old and had problems walking, so he had a bucket under the
      counter in front of his chair.
      He used it when there was nobody in the shop , or only children and our
      parents still will not believe it.
      He had no refrigerator so we could only buy milk the day it arrived with the
      boat.
      And once he bought a lot of water damaged sanitary binds, and opened
      everything so it could dry all over the shop.

      His brother, a fisherman Haakon was called Polite Haakon because he would
      take of his cap and bow to everyone, even us children
      Some friends of mine rented the first floor of his house.

      It was of particular interest of us to look at a picture that was
      turned against the wall, we called it the sea corpse, it was a man with a
      green face.
      And somebody knew it was a relative of Haakon painted after he was fished
      out of the sea.

      Quite often Haakon would laugh very loud upstairs, the floorboards were not
      very thick and we where told not to laugh too since he was doing it in an attempt to
      hide his problems with gas.

      Later when his brother moved to the home for the elderly, people not
      believing he was very polite could come to see him every day at five o' clock.
      He would call his brother from the telephone boot outside the new
      supermarket.

      And when the phone was picked up in the other end,
      he took of his cap and hit his head onto the window as he bowed.

      Alan

      Sherab ~ Daily Dharma

      "In meditation and in our daily lives there are
      three qualities that we can nurture, cultivate
      and bring out. We already possess these, but they
      can be ripened: precision, gentleness, and the
      ability to let go. When the Buddha taught, he
      didn't say that we were bad people or that there
      was some sin that we had committed that made us
      more ignorant than clear, more harsh than gentle,
      more closed than open. He taught that there is a
      kind of innocent misunderstanding that we all
      share, something that can be turned around,
      corrected, and seen through, as if we were in a
      dark room and someone showed us where the light
      switch was. It isn't a sin that we are in the
      dark room. It's just an innocent situation, but
      how fortunate that someone shows us where the
      light switch is. It brightens up our life
      considerably. We can start to read books, to see
      one another's faces, to discover the colors of
      the walls, to enjoy the little animals that creep
      in and out of the room.

      "In the same way, if we see our so-called
      limitations with clarity, precision, gentleness,
      goodheartedness, and kindness and, having seen
      them fully, then let go, open further, we begin
      to find that our world is more vast and more
      refreshing and fascinating than we had realized
      before. In other words, the key to feeling more
      whole and less shut off and shut down is to be
      able to see clearly who we are and what we're
      doing."
      ~Pema Chödrön

      From the book, "Awakening Loving-Kindness,"
      published by Shambhala.

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570622590/Angelinc

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all

      By Rainer Maria Rilke
      (1875 - 1926)

      Translated by Stephen Mitchell

      I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all
      my fellow creatures, pulsing with your life;
      as a tiny seed you sleep in what is small
      and in the vast you vastly yield yourself.

      The wondrous game that power plays with Things
      is to move in such submission through the world:
      groping in roots and growing thick in trunks
      and in treetops like a rising from the dead.

      --from Ahead of All Parting: The Selected Poetry and Prose of Rainer Maria Rilke, trans. Stephen Mitchell

      Sherab ~ Daily Dharma

      "If your principal witness is a judgmental
      authority figure, it may be hard to lighten up.
      Let's say you're meditating, but there is another
      'you' standing behind you with a stick, saying,
      'You're thinking again, You're always thinking!
      Whack! There goes the tonglen bell and you didn't
      practice tonglen for even a second! Smack! You
      say to yourself 'I can't do this, I'm hopeless.'
      Then you beat yourself up and forget all about
      gentleness, or if you remember, you say, 'Your
      not gentle! Whack!'

      "That kind of witness is a bit heavy. So lighten
      up. Don't make such a big deal. The key to
      feeling at home with your body, mind and
      emotions, to feeling worthy to live on this
      planet, comes from being able to lighten up.

      "Once on retreat I was reading some traditional
      text that talked about bliss and special
      experiences, and I began to feel wretched. I felt
      poverty-stricken about never having had any
      experiences that felt like bliss, clarity, or
      luminosity. I began to feel depressed that I
      didn't measure up to any of these glowing words.
      Fortunately, I put that book down and picked up
      something simple about just being alive with who
      you are right now - nothing special, no big deal,
      ordinary: just keep your eyes open, keep your
      ears open, stay awake. Those simple instructions
      began to cheer me up, because I felt that I could
      follow them."
      ~Pema Chödrön

      From the book, "Start Where You Are," published
      by Shambhala.

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570628394/Angelinc

      SUNSET

      A Ritual to Read to Each Other

      If you don't know the kind of person I am
      and I don't know the kind of person you are
      a pattern that others made may prevail in the world
      and following the wrong god home we may miss our star.

      For there is many a small betrayal in the mind,
      a shrug that lets the fragile sequence break
      sending with shouts the horrible errors of childhood
      storming out to play through the broken dyke.

      And as elephants parade holding each elephant's tail,
      but if one wanders the circus won't find the park,
      I call it cruel and maybe the root of all cruelty
      to know what occurs but not recognize the fact.

      And so I appeal to a voice, to something shadowy,
      a remote important region in all who talk:
      though we could fool each other, we should consider—
      lest the parade of our mutual life get lost in the dark.

      For it is important that awake people be awake,
      or a breaking line may discourage them back to sleep;
      the signals we give - yes or no, or maybe—
      should be clear: the darkness around us is deep.

      by William Stafford, from The Way It Is: New and Selected Poems © Graywolf Press.