#1945 - Sunday, October 10, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2004

      #1945 - Sunday, October 10, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      When I have arranged a bouquet,
      in order to paint it
      I go around to the side
      that I have not looked at.

           - Pierre Auguste Renoir

      photo by Sam Pasciencier:

      Be awake

      Love yourself and be awake ~
           today, tomorrow, always.

      First establish yourself in the way,
           then teach others,
           and so defeat sorrow.

      To straighten the crooked
           you must first do a harder thing ~
           straighten yourself

      You are the only master.
           who else?

      Subdue yourself,
           and discover your master.

      ~  the Dhammapada, Words of the Buddha

      At Zen cafés, Tokyo trend-setters nurture inner well-being

      Kaori Shoji IHT
      Thursday, October 7, 2004

      TOKYO Fashion-conscious natives of Tokyo are turning their attention inward these days - what they eat is as important as what they wear. Several years ago, the Tokyo fashion slave wouldn't have been caught dead dancing at a less-than-happening club; now the same people refuse to be seen in the presence of ugly (read: unhealthy) food products.

      No longer content to swill frappuccino at the nearest Starbucks, they are opting for Japanese green tea, "matcha," ground young tea leaves concoctions and the gentle, caffeine-less "hojicha," which is made from roasted tea leaves - all consumed in any of the Japanese-style "wa" cafés that are cropping up all over the city.

      In their clean, green-leafy atmosphere (all these establishments are smoke-free), one finds a menu virtually free of all traces of animal protein and oil. There are organic soy milk products in place of cream and milk shakes, healthy Japanese sweets instead of butter-saturated pastries. Most popular are the "onigiri," or rice balls - palm-sized packets of rice with dried fish or salted plums wedged in.
      "I never knew it would be possible to feel this good on so little calories, but I do," says Junko Kawase.

      She also says that a steady Japanese café diet has made her more sensitive, more feminine and more attuned to what makes her look good. "I think over all, that a Japanese diet keeps a person calmer and more patient."

      It is also more ecological. A huge part of the success of green café franchises lies in the simplicity of their operations. Compared to burger chains or Western-style cafés, there is less trash, almost no grease and drastically less industrial detergents used on the premises.

      Customers relax in a décor scheme that speaks of Zen and nature.

      "Simplicity is a must," says Tohru Takeda, who runs one of the Ony café franchises. "The fare we provide wouldn't taste the same in a cluttered or overly decorative environment." -more-

      Jerry Katz from NDSN

      Seeing Clearly

      "Enlightenment does not mean to become dead like a Buddha statue. An
      enlightened person still thinks, however he knows that the thinking
      process is impermanent, unsatisfactory, and empty.

      "Through practice we can see these things clearly. We need to
      investigate suffering and stop its causes. If not, wisdom can never
      arise. We must see things exactly as they are - feelings are just
      feelings, thoughts are just thoughts. This is the way to end all our
      problems."

      ~Ajah Chah

      From the web page, "In A Still Forest,"
      http://www.abhayagiri.org/dhamma/TreeinaForestpt2.html

      DharmaG from Daily Dharma

      this is thanksgiving weekend in Canada.

      my father died of cancer on thanksgiving.
      the gifts i received because we were able to
      make peace about our differences, that he was
      honest about what had happened when i was a
      child, have been multifold. i was able to access
      the deep love we had and i was with him when he
      died. it has been some years now but this weekend
      always carries the memory and reminder of him.

      many times i felt as an orphan, from leaving home
      very early. one of the pieces that runs from this
      is i have a deep desire to connect with and connect
      others together. to create supportive groups. i have
      done this in many ways through my life. as i am also
      an introvert, it is a paradox. solitude & connection.

      on thanksgiving weekend, the big family deal comes up
      and i envy people who have large extended loving
      families. my daughter's father is completely gone and
      there is no family contact there. my relatives live in
      Scandinavia. this weekend a friend i work with is
      adopting me and my daughter for thanksgiving dinner.

      in the community, because i am not fundamentalist
      christian it is harder to find people with similar
      interests. i have deep heart friends all around the
      world from life/satsang/retreats. for me, the online
      is one touchpoint. when i lived purely to serve
      clients and (god/what is), i discovered i needed to
      nourish the part that requires connection with other
      on the matters of the heart, free of dogma and ritual.

      when i would meditate, i used to see one light. at a
      certain point i began to see/feel other lights. it
      came to me that another piece of the awakening is that
      as we begin to realize it is not "individual", we are
      moving into another aspect which is groups awakening.
      i know this runs counter to the ones who then see only
      themselves. as i talked with other satsang teacher
      friends recently, i have found some are beginning to
      feel this as well. it is so new that there are no words
      for it, and yet it is arising potential and a calling
      to come together. a coming together of consciousness not
      as one in a seat in front of others, but more and more
      awake finding each other, deepening the awareness in ways
      that extend out through all hearts.

      so when i and others wonder about why anyone is on the
      net, i find at this point i resonate with the ideas of
      collective consciousness, of manifesting exchange as part
      of the noosphere. and that we are no longer able to do
      this on our own in caves, but that the very technology
      that enables us to connect and reach others is part of our
      evolution, and necessary for this planet and humans if we
      are to survive. the extension of the internet is no less
      a product from the earth and consciousness than anything
      else.

      today i give thanks for the internet, and for all of you.

      love,
      --josie--

      from nondualnow

      photo by Sam Pasciencier: