#1930 - Thursday, September 23, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2004
      #1930 - Thursday, September 23, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      This morning I received the following letter:

      ~ ~ ~

      Dear Jerry Earth Rider,

      We’re falling farther and farther into our Earth's shadow after the
      equinox on 9/22.

      And this makes wonderful things possible! To see what, click here:

      http://www.passengerplanet.com/autumn.html

      If you enjoy this free greeting, I hope you'll share it! Aloha, Harriet

      ~ ~ ~

      Here are some portions of the website. It's a simply illustrated, breezy, poetic and intriguing read: http://www.passengerplanet.com/autumn.html

      The star we're orbiting is so close that it burns us and blinds us.

      During the hours when our Earth is spinning us through
      the damaging radiation of our day star, our eyes
      protect themselves by shrinking their pupils.

      But when our pupils are shrunken,
      we can't see the farther stars.

      We seem to be alone
      in the cosmos.

      ~ ~ ~

      The light from our North Star takes
      620 years to reach us. So when you look at it,
      you're peering 620 years into the past.

      (image here)

      The light from the farthest stars you can possibly see
      with your naked eye--the Andromeda Galaxy--
      takes 2.5 million years to reach your eyes.
      So when you look at them, you're
      peering 2.5 million years
      into the past.

      (image here)

      While the Sun's light nurtures our bodies,
      starlight nurtures our perspective.

      When you let starlight into your eyes, you're
      transported beyond the space and time of your body.

      ~ ~ ~

      Years don't come and go: you orbit through them.

      The particular stars you see this evening
      are the same ones that you saw on this date last year,
      on this date next year, and on this date every other year of your life.

      Every time you celebrate the anniversary of an event,
      you return to the place in our orbit
      where you were when the event happened.

      Thanks to our sky-watching ancestors,
      we have maps of our yearly journey
      --our almanacs and calendars.

      They show us where we are in our orbit,
      when we travel through the spring and fall equinoxes,
      when we travel through the summer and winter solstices,
      and where our moon is in her "moonthly" journey around us.

      A date on your calendar
      is a place in our orbit.

      Time is the pace of
      our journey through space.

      ~ ~ ~

      Whatever your place in space--no matter where you are in our daily spinning
      and in our yearly orbiting--our moon is always guarding you,
      as it orbits our planet every 29.5 days...

      Here's what you see over 29.5 days of looking at our Earth and moon from space.

      Here's what you see over the same 29.5 days of looking up at our moon from Earth.

      The moon's sunlit side is facing away from you,
      so you can't see it. This is the "dark of the moon."

      The moon has orbited around to where
      you see a sliver of its sunlit side.
      This is the "waxing crescent."

      The moon has traveled through 1/4 of its orbit.
      You see a "first quarter moon."

      You see most of its sunlit side.
      This is the "waxing gibbous moon."
      ("Gibbous" means hunch back.)

      You see only its lit side--"full moon."
      Opposite us from the sun, it rises at sunset and it sets at sunrise.

      You see less--but still most--of its sunlit side.
      This is the "waning gibbous moon."

      It has traveled through 3/4 of its orbit.
      You see a "last quarter moon."

      It has orbited around to where you see
      only a sliver of its sunlit side. This is the "waning crescent."

      Originally, our months were "moonths"--the time the moon takes to orbit us.
      Civil and religious authorities gave us unnatural months.
      But natural people know when a month begins
      because they see it in the sky.

      ~ ~ ~

      When you're facing east, you're oriented.
      (You may remember that orient means east.)
      If you're not looking where you're going, you're disoriented!

      When you're traveling at astronomical speeds like we are,
      don't you want to look where you're going?

      Can you see why natural people start their day
      facing east, pray facing east, and often have
      the doors of their sacred buildings facing east?

      When you're looking east,
      you're facing the future!

      ~ ~ ~

      The Hawaiian word for east--"hikina"--means coming.
      Sky objects come into view in the east.

      Do you know any other native words for east
      that also show us what east is?
      If so, please write us:
      harriet@....

      Now...