#1924 - Friday, September 17, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2004

      #1924 - Friday, September 17, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read.
      --Mark Twain

      .
      Unknown Artist, Tile commemorating the pilgrimage to Mecca (Turkish) 17th century

      HALLAJ

      Hallaj said what he said and went to the origin
      through the hole in the scaffold.

      I cut a cap's worth of cloth from his robe,
      and it swamped over me from head to foot.

      Years ago, I broke a bunch of roses
      from the top of his wall. A thorn from that
      is still in my palm working deeper.

      From Hallaj, I learned to hunt lions,
      but I became something hungrier than a lion.

      I was a frisky colt. He broke me
      with a quiet hand on the side of my head.

      A person comes to him naked. It's cold.
      There's a fur coat floating in the river.

      "Jump in and get it," he says.
      You dive in. You reach for the coat.
      It reaches for you.

      It's a live bear that has fallen in upstream,
      drifting with the current.

      "How long does it take!" Hallaj yells from the bank.
      "Don't wait," you answer. "This coat
      has decided to wear me home!"

      A little part of a story, a hint.
      Do you need long sermons on Hallaj!

      ~ Rumi, "The Essential Rumi," Coleman Barks

      posted by Mazie Lane on SufiMystic

      Shabistari's Gulistan-i Raz (The Secret Rose Garden or The Rose Garden of Mystery). is considered to be one of the greatest works of Persian Sufism. In the Secret Rose Garden, Shabistari expresses a viewpoint of Sufi realization, similar to the perspective of the great Sufi philosopher Ibn Arabi, but within the rich Persian poetic tradition.

      The value of Shabistari's work was recognized almost immediately. Many commentaries on the work by other Sufi mystics soon began to appear. The Secret Rose Garden quickly was regarded as one of the central works of Sufism.

      Ivan

      Thought for the Day:

      Even our masks reveal us.
      ============

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana

      One Light

      By Mahmud Shabistari

      Translated by Andrew Harvey and Eryk Hanut

      What are "I" and "You"?
      Just lattices
      In the niches of a lamp
      Through which the One Light radiates.

      "I" and "You" are the veil
      Between heaven and earth;
      Lift this veil and you will see
      How all sects and religions are one.

      Lift this veil and you will ask --
      When "I" and "You" do not exist
      What is mosque?
      What is synagogue?
      What is fire temple?

      --from Perfume of the Desert: Inspirations from the Sufi Wisdom, Andrew Harvey / Eryk Hanut

      "There is here no measuring with time, no year matters, and ten years are nothing. Being an artist means, not reckoning and counting, but ripening like the tree which does not force it's sap and stands confident in the storms of Spring without the fear that after them may come no Summer. I t does come. I learn it daily, learn it with pain to which I am grateful."

      Rainer Maria Rilke

      from AlphaWorld

      Turning the Mind into an Ally
      Sakyong Mipham

      I once had a student who was in a three-year cabin retreat. At the end
      of one year, I went to his cabin to discuss his meditation. He told me
      about some of his experiences-various insights and images had come
      up-and he had several questions for me. He went into passionate detail
      about some of his ideas. He seemed to want me to confirm his
      experience. I listened and assured him that I found his revelations
      interesting.  Without saying that he was right or wrong, I encouraged
      him to keep practicing.

      A year later I paid him another visit.  This time he was calmer, more
      relaxed.  About the experiences he'd shared with me before, he said
      matter-of-factly, "Oh, I dropped all that. I realized it was just a
      giant thought. It lasted about a year, and in the past few months I've
      just seen it for what it was and let it go.  It felt like dispersing a
      cloud."  He seemed much more at ease with himself, as if he'd made an
      important and courageous discovery. And he had: thoughts can last for
      a long time before we recognize them, but if we keep practicing, we
      will see them for what they are.

      ~  ~  ~

      In Front of Us

          When I returned to my teacher Ajahn Chah after completing a long
      period of intensive training in other monasteries, I told him about
      the insights and special experiences I had encountered. He listened
      kindly and then responded, "It's just something else to let go of,
      isn't it?"
          We need to remember that where we are going is here, that any
      practice is simply a means to open our heart to what is in front of
      us. Where we already are is the path and the goal.

      Jack Kornfield

      from MillionPaths by blueoceantiger

      The middle region of the sky,
      wherein the spirit dwelleth,
      is radiant with the Music of Light

      A million suns are ablaze with Light,
      The sea of blue spreads in the sky,
      The fever of life is stilled,
      and all stains are washed away;
      when I sit in the midst of that world.
      Hark to the Unstruck Bells and drums!
      Take your delight in love!
      Rains pour down without water,
      and the rivers are Streams of Light.
      (Kabir)

      from SufiMystic by James

      Mechthild of Magdeburg was a German Beguine mystic and poet. At the age of twelve, she had a vision in which she saw "all things in God and God in all things." As Beguine lay sister, she led a life of service to the poor, care for the sick, along with contemplation and spiritual practices.

      Ivan

      Thought for the Day:

      We aren’t so much individual beings
      as individual points of perception
      within one immense being.

      ============

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana

      Effortlessly,

      By Mechthild of Magdeburg

      Translated by Jane Hirshfield

      Effortlessly,
      Love flows from God into man,
      Like a bird
      Who rivers the air
      Without moving her wings.
      Thus we move in His world
      One in body and soul,
      Though outwardly separate in form.
      As the Source strikes the note,
      Humanity sings --
      The Holy Spirit is our harpist,
      And all strings
      Which are touched in Love
      Must sound.

      Thought for the Day:

      Each one of us does not exist
      except as an empty field
      in which God meets God.
      We are the flash of self-recognition
      that lights the face of the Divine.
      ============

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana

      The Thousand-Stringed Instrument

      By Hafiz

      Translated by Daniel Ladinsky

      The heart is
      The thousand-stringed instrument.

      Our sadness and fear come from being
      Out of tune with love.

      All day long God coaxes my lips
      To speak,

      So that your tears will not stain
      His green dress.

      It is not that the Friend is vain,
      It is just your life we care about.

      Sometimes the Beloved
      Takes my pen in hand,
      For Hafiz is just a simple man.

      The other day the Old One
      Wrote on the Tavern wall:

      “The heart is
      The thousand-stringed instrument

      That can only be tuned with
      Love.”

      --from The Gift: Poems by Hafiz the Great Sufi Master, trans. Daniel Ladinsky