#1922 - Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2004

      #1922 - Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      This issue features an excerpt from a newly published book, The Nature of Man According to the Vedanta, by John Levy. This series will constitute the first lengthy quotation of Levy on the internet; there is virtually nothing at present. Also there are quotations from the thoughtful Alpha World list. And there is an installment of In Nonduality Salon.

      The Nature of Man According to the Vedanta
      by John Levy
      from Chapter V: Sensory Perception and the Notion of Objects
      At this stage I must define reality, since the term has just now been introduced. Reality I define as that which transcends change... . Analysis of dreamless sleep, in the third chapter, showed this immutable reality to be the self, the self being that single consciousness in which the many and various aspects of objective experience come and go. Now it is true that 'our sensations are the mere masks and symbols of reality.' But having defined reality, I would add that we cannot have an objective knowledge of reality, which for us is identical with non-duality.
      How the Notion of a World Arises
      Objects as such are not perceived: they exist only as notions, that is to say, they exist when they are thought of and not otherwise. Now we cannot have more than a single thought at a time, although the rapidity with which thoughts succeed one another makes plain men believe the contrary. It follows that the simultaneous existence of objects is an impossibility. But we remember our past notions and it is memory therefore that makes us believe in the coexistence of objects. The illusion of the simultaneous and independent existence of objects gives rise to the notion of a world. In this connection, I would refer the reader to my remarks about abstract thought and generalization...: the notion of a world is a generalization and nothing more.
      Conclusion: Sensations as the Words of a Sensory Language
      When there is no objectification of consciousness, when in other words there is no sensory perception, what seemed to be an object loses both its sensory and intellectual attributes, remaining as the principle of consciousness in which it seemed to appear. It cannot then be called an object; nor, in reality, was there ever one, for in itself it transcended name and form. I do not mean to say that when a something is cognized, nothing whatsoever is present. When a something is cognized, a something does certainly exist, but not as it appears, for the appearance is determined solely by the percipient and not by the thing in itself. The senses are like so many languages, which express in their own idiom the unobjectified being that is beyond the domain of expression.

      Alpha World
      “You have considered yourself to be a separate "self" only because of having regarded a
      "solid" object with a name, that is the body, as yourself. But in fact the body itself is
      nothing but an insignificant, vastly intricate complex of electrical wave-patterns, a
      series of rhythmic functions, a throbbing field of energy, and emptiness. What you
      actually are, then, is what everybody else is: sentience itself. Therefore, instead of
      being a puny self by way of an object, you are indeed everything.”
      Ramesh S. Balsekar
      ~ ~ ~
      "My life has been one great big joke, a dance that's walked a song that's spoke, I laugh
      so hard I almost choke when I think about myself."
      Maya Angelou
      ~ ~ ~
      "Above the cloud with its shadow is the star with its light. Above all things reverence
      ~ ~ ~
      “(…) And what greater source of guilt could there be than the guilt that arises from
      finally trying to decide if what you want to do - which seems momentarily and
      superficially selfish - is also the right thing to do? How can you tell if you’re really
      being honest or just trying to talk yourself into dealing with the situation in a way
      that meets with your own desires?”
      (Inspector Lynley) Elizabeth George, For the sake of Elena.
      ~ ~ ~
      "Man seeks to escape himself in myth, and does so by any means at his disposal. Drugs,
      alcohol, or lies. Unable to withdraw into himself, he disguises himself. Lies and
      inaccuracy give him a few moments of comfort."
      Jean Cocteau

      In Nonduality Salon
      The Highlights of the Nonduality Salon list from between August, 1998 and May, 1999, the period of time prior to the creation of The Highlights.
      ~ ~ ~
      Nisargadatta letter

      The following was sent to me by someone who came upon the Nisargadatta
      portion of my website. I have not included this person's name.
      Dear Jerry,
      Five years ago, I chanced upon two red, cloth-bound volumes of "I am
      That", in a box on the floor in a shabby second-hand bookshop on a
      back street in Manchester. At the time, I was looking for "spiritual
      food" and had just started investigating Eastern religions.
      "I am That" riveted me. I must have read it for half-on-hour on the
      floor before I finally got up with aching knees and went an bought it!
      For the next 2 or 3 years, I could not leave this book alone. I would
      use it like a bible, picking it up when I needed reassurance, randomly
      picking an interview to read. I would later reflect on the words, and
      marvel at the simple and intelligent logic. I would also think a lot
      about Sri Nissargadatta, who he was, where he lived, and whether he was
      still alive. I photocopied & enlarged his picture from the frontispiece,
      and put it up in my room. I treated his books with a reverance, always
      keeping them in a special place, washing my hands before touching them.
      I had not, until this evening, found any other reference to Sri
      Nissargadatta in any encycolopedia or book, and had not discovered
      anyone else who had heard of him. Because of this, I feel like I have
      had a special relationship with Sri Nissargadatta, like he was been
      watching over just me and helping me. The rational part of me of course
      explains this as a projection of the inner-guru archetype, but it is
      non-the-less real.
      Now I have discovered him on the internet, this spell is broken.
      Can you tell me what became of Sri Nissargadatta after his book? I have
      often wondered.
      Do you follow the nath path?
      ~ ~ ~

      Pray Some More

      Pray some more for utter oneness with God

      Beauty lies in both the Sun and the Setting

      Love profound requires not the condition of two

      In this union lovers are lost and in letting

      the torrential nectar absorb their essence

      become mute in the springing Presence.

      Can you say anything about this Silence?

      Who remains now to pray for utter oneness with God.

      Harsha, 1/19/1999 (inspired by one of Tukaram's poems)
      ~ ~ ~
      Thoughts moving with Jerry

      Dear Jerry..
      I am continuously moved by the authentic ways in which you traverse and
      express your various internal lenses. At once wise and innocent. It is
      good to have such models, and I thank you.
      On Alan's list I mentioned the fact that just last weekend while deep in
      an inquiry about "nonduality", "Noosphere" and "Christ consciousness, I
      had remembered Bernadette Roberts (whom I had read many years ago). I
      had just begun reading her book, when on Monday you began your postings
      about her. Isn't Life wonderful!
      I am not sure that I'll have much to add to this discussion, as right
      now I am in an amplified listening mode. Still, I wanted you to know
      that I am here amongst you, grateful for your and other's inquiry and
      I also want to say.. your tribute to your heart-friend-wife is
      grace-filled... and your questions are poignant. I am below quoting from
      two of your posts. I am wondering if they don't on some level interface.
      Perhaps, when the memory.. or the contraction of idea-structure around a
      particular identity.. eases, it allows us to commune with the essence of
      Love which was and is the *juice* of the relationship. And perhaps, it
      is the Awareness of our perpetual resting in that *juice* (as Teilhard
      says.. being a cell in the body of God) which is the true communion or
      Eucharist (or Home) which the force or intelligence or Consciousness or
      Being we might call Christ, is here to awaken and assemble. If resting
      in the love, which you and Dolores shared, opens you to an Awareness of
      the background of Love we all share.. you have, indeed, been graced with
      community of (communion with) no-self. Perhaps, the *paradox of
      Just some thoughts..
      (from Jerry)
      "After a person dies, their memory remains. When the memory of them
      passes, then what? I'm wondering if maybe then, maybe that's when we
      truly exist as the no-self. Even then, their subtle influences could be
      pushed forth, their genes expressed. We're re-made into later universes.
      Wait a minute: suddenly I feel the need for a fifteen minute break of
      the nondual kind!"

      "Roberts says in 'What is Self?': "As the Eucharist, Christ remains
      among us until every human being has been gathered into the divine. As
      the All and Everywhere, we do not know where Christ is not, but as the
      incarnate Christ we know where Christ IS, and this is the Eucharist."
      ~ ~ ~
      Jan Barendrecht responds to a poem by Melody
      > What will be left
      > when I give up this search?
      > what
      will I do?
      > Who will I be?

      Being the witness of all, ever self-absorbed.
      Who I am, no one can tell.

      > What will be
      > when the seeker's no more?
      > How does one live?
      > How
      does one breathe?

      There was never a seeker.
      It is like forgetting to live in a new house,
      not knowing to find the way to the bathroom at night
      when there is a power-cut.
      Living and breathing pertain to the body.
      It is done even while being unconscious.

      > What will be
      > when the fear is no more?
      > I know what they tell me,
      but how can *I* know?

      What will be left is what now seems to be hidden,
      Among others because of the fear.
      No way of knowing unless you persevere...
      > What will be left
      > when my body's laid
      > Will "I" then arise?
      > Will some of me remain?

      What is independent of body and mind
      Cannot be called "I"
      "I" looses its meaning when there is no "you"
      How can something arise that never was?
      > God help me.
      > I'm afraid.

      > I'm falling
      away from myself.
      > And I don't know where that is.

      But I know.
      The fear is dependent on one's clinging to life.
      The fear is connected to the (unfounded) feeling of loosing.
      This is why Lord Yama makes such an excellent company :)