#1919 - Sunday, September 12, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2004

      #1919 - Sunday, September 12, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      .

      "The people who say you are not facing reality actually mean that you are not facing their idea of reality. Reality is above all else a variable. With a firm enough commitment, you can sometimes create a reality which did not exist before."

      Margaret Halsey

      from AlphaWorld

      Ed Kelly ~ AdyashantiSatsang

      "People neglect the reality of the illusory world."

      --Huang Po

      "Once we have reached enlightenment the illusory itself becomes the real, so that no other reality remains."

      --Fa Tsang

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "In the great mirror of consciousness images arise and disappear, and
      only memory is material--destructible, perishable, transient. On
      such flimsy foundations we build a sense of personal existence--
      vague, intermittent, dreamlike. This vague persuasion: "I am so and
      so" obscures the changeless state of pure awareness and makes us
      believe that we are born to suffer and to die."

      Al Larus photos: http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/From_a_summer_evening.htm

      Three Tantric Buddhist Women's Songs (8th - 11th c.)

      "Upon coming into a state of awakened mind (often after years of disciplined practice), many women practitioners of Tantric Buddhism in India would spontaneously speak or sing of their experience.... These poems were recorded by others present at the time, and some have been preserved in volumes assembled by Tibetan-speaking-women--a rare example of women prior to our own time deliberately collecting the poetry and teachings of other women explicitly because they were women."

        1
        KYE HO! Wonderful!
        Lotus pollen wakes up in the heart's center--
        The bright flower is free from mud.
        Where do the color and fragrance come from?
        What reason now to accept them or turn away?

        2
        WHO SPEAKS the sound of an echo?
        Who paints the image in a mirror?
        Where are the spectacles in a dream?
        Nowhere at all -- that's the nature of mind!

        3
        KYE HO! Wonderful!
        You may say "existence," but you can't grasp it!
        You may say "nonexistence" but many things appear!
        It is beyond the sky of "existence" and "nonexistence" --
        I know it but cannot point to it!

        http://womensearlyart.net/reference/praise.html

      Josie Kane ~ MillionPaths

      So, asks Ramana, why not begin from this very point?
      As he states, "Whatever be the means adopted, you
      must at last return to the Self; so why not abide in the
      Self here and now?"

      Self realization does not involve gaining any kind of
      intellectual knowledge or adopting a particular set of
      beliefs. Self-realization," says Ramana, "is not knowing
      anything or becoming anything."

      It is simply a state of 'Being', our inherently natural state.
      Since the mind is only an instrument of the Self, it can
      never know its true source. Consequently, one can only
      'be' That.

      ~ ~ ~

      Ramana Maharshi continually asks us to return
      to the Source of our true Being. The simple and
      direct approach he taught eliminates the need to
      undertake a path of self-improvement, since
      wherever we go, the Self is always present. There
      are no special requirements for investigating "who
      we really are," but he reminds us that earnestness
      of purpose certainly facilitates the opening of our
      hearts to infinite Self.

      Mathew Greenblatt
      The Essential Teachings of Ramana Maharshi

      Bob O'Hearn ~ AdyashantiSatsang

      How can you understand that silence
      -- chaotic or otherwise?

      Is it possible for you to capture that silence?

      When that silence starts operating through you,
      it is something extraordinary,
      something vital and living.

      This structure which is trying to understand
      the nature of it, capture it, contain it
      or give expression to it, cannot
      co-exist with it.

      The difficulty is you seem to know
      a lot about this state --
      you have imagination.

      You imagine it to be what is described
      as "Silence is Brahman" and begin to
      think about it.

      This imagination must go.

      That [silence] is something living
      and the structure which is trying
      to capture it is a dead structure.

      All thoughts are dead --
      it doesn't matter whose thoughts --
      whether those of Shankara, of Ramanuja
      or of the hundreds of sages, saints and
      saviors we have had and perhaps have still.

      It is useless to try to understand that.

      How can you capture it?
      If there is any such thing as silence,
      chaotic or otherwise, living or dead,
      it will begin to express itself.

      When it expresses itself,
      you are not there.

      So, you will never know the nature of
      that silence at all.

      What you call silence is not silence at all.

      ~U. G. Krishnamurti

      http://www.abcgallery.com/I/icons/rublev1.html posted by Wim

      Andrei Rublev. The Old Testament Trinity. c. 1410s. Tempera on wood.

      142 x 114 c. The Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia.

      Jackson Peterson ~ ejackpete@...

      Gnosis

      Certain forms of Christianity would have us believe that the
      Christos is isolate to the person of Yeshua (Aramaic for "Jesus")
      and that he alone is Christ or the Messiah. However, Gnostic
      Christianity holds a very different view of Yeshua and the Christos.
      Yeshua is viewed as a Christ-bearer and the Christos is viewed as a
      Light-Presence; thus, to Christian Gnostics, Yeshua is a mystic: a
      Light-bearer. Rather than something isolate or exclusive to Yeshua,
      the Christos is considered to be embodied by others around the
      Master, Yeshua acting as a Center of a Light-Transmission or Christ
      Revelation. Essentially, according to masters of Gnostic Christian
      Tradition, the Light-Presence of the Messiah is not embodied by a
      single individual alone but by a matrix of individuals and,
      ultimately, is to be embodied by humanity as a whole--giving birth
      to a New and Divine Humanity.

      From the Gnostic perspective, Yeshua is akin to the Image of our
      Future Self, our True and Divine Self, and belief in the Incarnation
      of the Christos is not merely a belief in the divinity of Yeshua,
      but a belief in the Divine Potential within each and every human
      being. Thus, to believe that Yeshua is the Incarnation of Christ is
      to believe that the Christos is the True Nature of one's Soul and
      Self, and that one is destined to evolve toward Christhood. In this
      sense, Gnostic Christianity is similar to Eastern Wisdom Traditions
      which teach a Path to Enlightenment, and in the Gnostic view the
      True Gospel is a Way to the Attainment of Christ Consciousness. The
      idea of "salvation" in Christian Gnosticism is a state of Self-
      realization.

      The name of Yeshua in Hebrew connotes this idea of Self-realization.
      It is the Name of Yahweh, which appears throughout the Old
      Testament, with the addition of one letter (the Hebrew letter Shin.)
      The Divine Name of Yahweh literally means, "That Which Was, Is, and
      forever Shall Be", and the name Yeshua means, "Yahweh delivers."
      Yahweh represents the one Being-Consciousness-Force or Life-Power
      which is the Source of all, and Yeshua represents a conscious
      unification with the Source; hence a state of Truth-Consciousness
      (Christ Consciousness). In essence, the Blessed Name of Yeshua
      means "knowledge of truth that will set you free." This truth is the
      awareness of one's Soul and Self inseparable from Yahweh.

      Glimpses of this truth are certainly to be found in the gospels that
      appear in the Holy Bible, but it becomes more obvious in gospels
      that were not included in the Bible, such as the Gospel of St.
      Thomas, which was among the scrolls found at Nag Hammadi by an Arab
      peasant in 1945. This gospel is quite different than those that
      appear in the Bible. Instead of an interpretive story, the Gospel of
      St. Thomas is composed of wisdom sayings, the interpretation of
      which is left completely to the reader. It is a book meant to
      support an oral tradition and to encourage a spiritual quest for the
      direct experience of the Spirit of Truth. The first saying or verse
      of the gospel makes this perfectly clear. Basically, it is a
      proclamation of the gospel as a record of "secret sayings" that were
      spoken in the presence of Didymos Judas Thomas by Yeshua and tells
      us that if we gain understanding of the sayings, we will be
      spiritually empowered and free from death, which is to say Self-
      realized. No one can really say whether St. Thomas actually wrote
      this gospel, but the dedication of the gospel to his name is
      significant, for Didymos literally means "a twin." If Yeshua is
      speaking to a disciple called Didymos Judas Thomas, then it alludes
      to the disciple as being like unto Yeshua or resembling him--hence
      the idea of the disciple as a Christ-bearer in the same way Lord
      Yeshua is a Christ-bearer. Thus, the disciple to whom these sayings
      are spoken is one who knows the Indwelling Christ within himself,
      and it is implicit that one who reads and contemplates the Gospel of
      St. Thomas is to recognize Christ indwelling her or himself and to
      identify her or himself with that Light-Presence. Yeshua may well
      have spoken these sayings, but the sayings may also have been spoken
      by the Indwelling Christ within the one who wrote them. From the
      Christian Gnostic perspective, either way they are authentic
      teachings of the Christos. Whether uttered by Christ indwelling
      Yeshua or Christ indwelling the disciple, the same Light-Presence
      has revealed Itself.

      In this light, the sayings in the Gospel of St. Thomas may be
      contemplated and meditated upon as sayings emerging from the
      Indwelling Christ within ourselves, as though a still, small voice
      is speaking them inwardly as we read and contemplate and meditate
      upon them. Study and contemplation of any Scripture in this way can
      lead to deep intuitive insights and can easily become an experience
      of contact with the Light-Presence within us. This is the purpose of
      the Gospel of St. Thomas, and from the Gnostic perspective, it is
      the purpose of any Wisdom Teaching or Scripture--a way to enter into
      the knowledge and communion of the Divine Presence and Power within
      ourselves and our lives. It is interesting to note the many
      different gospels we have: the Gospel according to St. John, the
      Gospel according to St. Thomas, the Gospel according to St. Mark,
      and so on. If one studies them, they clearly do not tell the same
      story nor represent a static or fixed view of Yeshua or the
      Christos. In fact, each gospel actually represents the knowledge and
      understanding of Christ in the experience of the person who wrote
      it. In this we gain a sense of Original Christianity--rather than a
      fixed doctrine and dogma, it was a living experience of the Christos
      (a living spiritual experience rather than a religion). It suggests
      that every "Christian" had his or her own unique gospel, his or her
      own knowledge and understanding of the Truth and Light as it was
      revealed in his or her own experience of Christ. In this sense we
      may say that Original Christianity was Gnostic, for gnosis is a
      Greek word meaning "knowledge," specifically knowledge and
      understanding acquired through direct spiritual or mystical
      experience, and a Gnostic is anyone who has acquired such spiritual
      knowledge to one degree or another. Essentially, according to the
      Christian Gnostic view, the True Gospel is one's own experience of
      the Truth and Light, which is "the knowledge of truth that will set
      you free." When the Christos is understood in this way, the fact
      that some people may use the name Buddha or Krishna or another name
      for the Light-Presence does not present a problem, for by "Christ"
      we mean the Spirit of Truth or Light-Presence in whatever form it
      might appear. Every human being is unique and individual, therefore
      every individual's experience of the Truth and Light will be unique
      to her or himself, as will the Holy Gospel she or he brings forth
      from within her or himself. It could well be in modern times, for
      example, that some people's experience of extraterrestrials is an
      experience of the Christos! After all, in a technological age, it
      would be quite logical that spiritual experiences might assume a
      technological form in consciousness. In terms of Self-empowerment
      and Self-realization, the only question in the Gnostic view is
      whether or not the individual having a psychic or spiritual
      experience is able to recognize the Light-Presence (Indwelling
      Christ) within him or herself, because it is this inward recognition
      that opens the way to various degrees of Enlightenment and
      Liberation ("Salvation").

      This is the key to understanding the Gnostic Christ: the recognition
      and realization of the Light-Presence or Indwelling Christ within
      oneself and the bringing forth of that Light and Truth from within
      oneself. The message of Gnostic Christianity is that we are powerful
      spiritual beings, whether or not we are conscious of it--the only
      question is how we receive our empowerment and actualize the Light-
      Presence in us. To this end, Gnostic Christianity is replete with
      methods of mystical prayer, meditation, and sacred ritual, all of
      which have the aim of Self-empowerment and Self-realization.