#1918 - Saturday, September 11, 2004

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #1911 Saturday, September 4, 2004 Editor: Mark

       .

      and like the keyboard keys
      touching my fingers
      and the smile widening
      and the rain washing this home tonight,
      strumming my windows, my roof.

      and this deep appreciation
      of these continued exchanges
      of expression, in all forms & spaces,

      including those who remember today,
      when the skies were empty of planes,
      and those who are here now.

      and the myriad feelings of remaining open
      when one can no longer close to what is here,
      as one releases the hope to share,
      knowing what lies within each heart
      is what must most beat within that space of being,
      knowing that the greater gift is to see than to be seen,
      for in this, love gazes back from every, every heart,
      every face, unhidden by words or acts.
      and oh, the voices that soften,
      the eyes that respond, that turn rapt,
      overjoyed, shyly glowing back.
      wordlessly uttering i know thee.

      and it is enough to be.
      enough to see.
      enough to be
      of this love.

      this washes everything
      within this flood of being
      so still, so still, so still.

      namaste,
      - Josie Kane on AdyashantSatsang

      9/11

      9/11 those two numbers
      are a shorthand for so
      much that is unspeakable

      this act that exposed our
      vulnerability & painted us
      as only human though in

      our minds we were much
      more than that when being
      only human is enough

      as we sit in this world
      composed of wonders & light
      and hate & horrors & love

      sit exposed even with
      our toys & cars & our voices
      that stretch across the globe

      we're mammals in a flood plain
      hunkered down as hurricanes
      threaten or enemies slither

      beyond the bushes at night &
      we look for magic words to banish
      all danger while we tell stories of

      ancient battles with saber-tooths
      & barbarians at the gate & reassure
      ourselves that we will survive.

      © Zen Oleary
      September 11, 2004, posted to SufiMystic

      Us And Them

      Us and Them
      And after all we're only ordinary men
      Me, and you
      God only knows it's not what we would choose to do
      Forward he cried from the rear
      and the front rank died
      And the General sat, as the lines on the map
      moved from side to side
      Black and Blue
      And who knows which is which and who is who
      Up and Down
      And in the end it's only round and round and round
      Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
      the poster bearer cried
      Listen son, said the man with the gun
      There's room for you inside
      Down and Out
      It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about
      With, without
      And who'll deny that's what the fightings all about
      Get out of the way, it's a busy day
      And I've got things on my mind
      For want of the price of tea and a slice
      The old man died

      - Pink Floyd

      COMPASSION 9/11

      "Don't say that I will depart tomorrow--
      even today I am still arriving.

      Look deeply: every second I am arriving
      to be a bud on a Spring branch,
      to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings,
      learning to sing in my new nest,
      to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
      to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

      I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
      to fear and to hope.
      The rhythm of my heart is the birth and
      death of all that is alive.

      I am a mayfly metamorphosing on
      the surface of the river.
      And I am the bird that
      swoops down to swallow the mayfly.

      I am a frog swimming happily in
      the clear water of a pond.
      And I am the grass-snake that
      silently feeds itself on the frog."

      I am a terrified one jumping from
      blazes behind to cold asphalt below.
      And I am the one who plots my death
      secretly in ungodly vengeance.

      I am the one who ignores licking flames
      to push a friend's wheelchair
      down the stairs.
      And I am the one who says good-bye
      to his family knowing he will
      never see them again.

      I am the one running selflessly
      into the smoke following a cry.
      And I am the one who boards the plane
      knowing it will be his last flight.

      I am the one who crosses himself as he
      fights up the stairs to rescue.
      And I am the one who believes he
      is doing Allah's will as he steers
      the plane into its horrific end.

      I am the ash-covered lucky one who escapes.
      And I am the ash-covered one who does not.

      I am the one who watches in horror and disbelief;
      I am the one who mourns beyond mourning.
      And, as much as it tears my heart,
      I am the one who cheers.

      "My pain is like a river of tears,
      so vast it fills the vast oceans.
      My joy is like Spring,
      so warm it makes flowers bloom
      all over the Earth.

      Please call me by my true names,
      so I can hear all my cries and laughter at once,
      so I can see that my joy and pain are one.

      Please call me by my true names,
      so I can wake up and the door
      of my heart could be left open,
      the door of compassion."

      - Thich Nhat Hanh (with inserts by oh) link posted to Dailydharma

      http://www.angelsinc.com/dgsangha/WTC.html

      There is always a tendency in the mind to personify its
      functions. For the last two days there is been a sense of
      a large presence everywhere. When looking outward is
      there, when looking inward is also there. Despite, that
      it brings a sense of great silence and emptiness, the
      mind wishes to brand it as something solid which bears a
      name, such as Self, That, or whatever. The mind has that
      inclination, but thoughts seem like a pile of ashes blown
      by the wind, they can' stick to the presence. They fall
      silent, and the mind comtemplates it with the intuition
      that it includes everything.

      No interpretation is needed, all interpretations are
      false. It could be called Buddha Nature, and it won't
      change a thing, or called, Christ, or This, and not a
      thing would be added, or taken away. All names and
      thoughts about it seem useless.

      - Pete, quoted on SufiMystic by Bill Rishel

       .

      Words 1

      bless you, oh beloved,

      for inspiring the words of the wise

      without which i could not

      discard all words.

      like thorns removing thorns.
      - and after

      to melt and to dissolve

      within your ever-present

      silent

      loving

      laughter

      oh beloved,
      bless you a million times
      for revealing to the simple
      what is concealed
      forever
      from the intelligent
      and clever.

      - Yosy Flug on SufiMystic

      Nasrudin went to a sufi master with a friend. The
      Master, wanting to test their spiritual egg, gave each
      of them a chicken and told them, "Go kill the chicken
      where no one could see and then return."
      The friend in 5 minutes came to the Master with a dead
      chicken. The Master asked what did he do. He said, "I
      went behind a fence where no could see."

      The Master smiled.

      Nasrudin meanwhile turned up missing...a day and then
      a week. The Master sent a search party. Finally
      Nasrudin was found still carrying his chicken with
      him. He was taken back to the Master who questioned
      Nasrudin. "Why did you not kill the chicken?" Nasrudin
      replied, "Everywhere I went the chicken could see."

      - posted to Nasrudin by Herbie King

      do not believe,
      just because
      wise men say so.

      do not believe,
      just because
      it has always
      been that way.

      do not believe
      just because
      others may
      believe so.

      examine
      and -
      experience
      yourself!

      - Buddha, Kalama Sutra, posted to MillionPaths by Josie Kane

       .