#1910 - Friday, September 3, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2004

      #1910 - Friday, September 3, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Poem: "II," by Wendell Berry, from A Timbered Choir.

      "II"

      When my father was an old man,
      past eighty years, we sat together
      on the porch in silence
      in the dark. Finally he said,
      "Well, I have had a wonderful life,"
      adding after a long pause,
      "and I have had nothing
      to do with it!" We were silent
      for a while again. And then I asked,
      "Well, do you believe in the
      'informed decision'?" He thought
      some more, and at last said
      out of the darkness: "Naw!"
      He was right, for when we choose
      the way by which our only life
      is lived, we choose and do not know
      what we have chosen, for this
      is the heart's choice, not the mind's;
      to be true to the heart's one choice
      is the long labor of the mind.
      He chose, imperfectly as we must,
      the rule of love, and learned
      through years of light what darkly
      he had chosen: his life, his place,
      our place, our lives. And now comes
      one he chose, but will not see:
      Emily Rose, born May 2, 1993

      Learning

      A piccolo played, then a drum.
      Feet began to come - a part of the music.  Here comes a horse,
      clippety clop, away.

      My mother said, "Don't run -
      the army is after someone
      other than us.  If you stay
      you'll learn our enemy."

      Then he came, the speaker.  He stood
      in the square.  He told us who
      to hate.  I watched my mother's face,
      its quiet.  "That's him," she said.

      ~ William Stafford ~

      (The Way It Is, 1998)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Learning.html
      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      Question:  How can I be in communion with the sages and the founders of the world's religions? How can I become one with them?

      Papaji: By throwing away all the stories you have heard about these people.  History will not help you. Stories of people who appeared and disappeared will not help you. Thinking about the ideas that these people taught will not help you. Throw away all your ideas, including all your ideas you have stored up about saints, avatars, prophets, etc. If you want to be one with all these people, then be free yourself. If you can abide in the state in which there are no ideas, you will recognize your identity with all the great beings who have ever lived.

      Question: But how can I be free? How can I free myself?

      Papaji: By not following any way.

      Question:  If I do this, how will I know whether I am free or not?

      Papaji:  You will be free when questions such as these no longer arise. When you have the experience, you will not continue to ask questions about either being or not being.

      Question:  How can I live every moment in this way?

      Papaji:  In every instant you are unconditioned and free.

      Nothing Ever Happened
      David Godman
      vol 3, pp. 42-43

      posted to MillionPaths by Gloria

      "There are six traditional ways in which the bodhisattva trains, six
      ways of compassionate living: generosity, discipline, patience,
      enthusiasm, meditation, and prajna - unconditional wisdom.
      Traditionally these are called the six paramitas, a Sanskrit word
      meaning "gone to the other shore." Each one is an activity we can
      use to take us beyond aversion and attachment, beyond being all
      caught up in ourselves, beyond the illusion of separateness. Each
      paramita has the ability to take us beyond our fear of letting go."
      ~Pema Chodron

      From the book, "The Places That Scare You", published by
      Shambhala.

      posted on Daily Dharma by Sherab

      Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2004)

      This movie tells (in Korean) the story of an old monk who lives in a remote hermitage along with a small boy whom he has somehow become obliged to rear. The boy goes bad, and the old monk is forced to resort to radical measures to save him. An outstanding film in every way: story, images, photography, acting.

      The exquisitely beautiful and very human drama SPRING,
      SUMMER, FALL,  WINTER… AND SPRING, starring director KIM
      Ki-duk, is entirely set on and  around a tree-lined lake where a
      tiny Buddhist monastery floats on a raft  amidst a breath-taking
      landscape. The film is divided into five segments with  each
      season representing a stage in a man’s life. Under the vigilant
      eyes of  Old Monk (wonderful veteran theatre actor OH
      Young-soo), Child Monk learns  a hard lesson about the nature of
      sorrow when some of his childish games  turn cruel. In the
      intensity and lushness of summer, the monk, now a young  man,
      experiences the power of lust, a desire that will ultimately lead
      him, as  an adult, to dark deeds. With winter, strikingly set on the
      ice and  snow-covered lake, the man atones for his past actions,
      and spring starts the  cycle anew… With an extraordinary
      attention to visual details, such as using  a different animal (dog,
      rooster, cat, snake) as a motif for each section,
      writer/director/editor KIM Ki-duk has crafted a totally original yet
      universal  story about the human spirit, moving from Innocence,
      through Love and Evil,  to Enlightenment and finally Rebirth.

      Wasting Away

      "A man becomes thinner and thinner day by day; he is wasting away.
      What can the matter be? He does not suffer want. 'No certainly not,'
      says the physician, 'it doesn't come from that, it comes precisely
      from eating, from the fact that he eats out of season, eats without
      being hungry, uses stimulants to arouse a little bit of appetite, and
      in that way he ruins his digestion, fades away as if he were
      suffering want.' So it is religiously. The most fatal thing of all is
      to satisfy a want which is not yet felt, so that without waiting till
      the want is present, one anticipates it, likely also uses stimulants
      to bring about something which is supposed to be a want, and then
      satisfies it. And this is shocking! And yet this is what they do in
      the religious sphere, whereby they really are cheating men out of
      what constitutes the significance of life, and helping people to
      waste life."

      - Soren Kierkegaard

      Thanks to Sandy for the above...  gill

      posted by Gill Eardley on Allspirit Inspiration

      ? Apt Coincidence ?

      I once sat with a book of hafiz poems, struggling
      with a relationship issue. I asked for insight about how
      this person felt about me. I opened the book and read
      these words:

      "how can that moron over there really be God".

      :-)

      I think opening books in this way can give us insight,
      prod our unconscious mind, nudge us along a little
      or just give us a laugh. I do it often.

      gill

      Teamwork (sangha) ...

      The September issue of the TAT Forum is now on-line at
      www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm

      This month's contents:

      doorway The Engineer and the Robot by Richard Rose | Introduction to Franz Hartmann by Richard Rose | Preface to Magic, White & Black by Franz Hartmann | Spiritual Action by Bob Cergol | Silence by Bob Fergeson | From the Experience of No-Self by Bernadette Roberts | Poems by Shawn Nevins | Further Impressions of the Headless Way by Shawn Nevins | Do Not Fear the Darkness by Art Ticknor | Critical Path to Nirvana by Art Ticknor | Humor | Reader Commentary

      Selections from
      The Experience of No-Self
      by Bernadette Roberts

      young Bernadette ... Our psychological notions of despair and anxiety are mere toys of self-defense compared to the burden-of-unknowing, against which there isn't a single defense.... Self is man's compensation for a state of unknowing....

      ... I sometimes came upon a certain sadness concerning the rock-bottom emptiness of man and nature.... I felt bad about the fact that man lives his whole life in the false expectation that some ultimate reality lies hidden somewhere behind, beneath, or beyond what is. And I remembered my own life of searching and looking and now saw what a complete waste it had been.

      By experience I knew that thinking would never solve the problems of life....

      One thing is for sure: as long as we are caught up in words, definitions, and all that the mind wants to cling to, we can never see how it [i.e., life - Ed.] works. And until we can go beyond our notions regarding the true nature of life, we will never realize how totally secure we really are, and how all the fighting for individual survival and self-security is a waste of energy.

      Generosity

      "These days, most people prize things like
      visions of deities, clairvoyance, or miraculous
      powers; but without bodhicitta you could still go
      to the lower realms, and being clairvoyant or
      having such powers would be of no benefit. When
      you have this bodhicitta mind, you may not make
      much effort in other things, but you will have
      the root of Mahayana Dharma. If you already have
      this mind, even giving a ball of barley dough to
      an animal will be a cause for you to gain full
      enlightenment."

      ~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche
      From "Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand"

      posted on Daily Dharma by Sherab

      http://www.geocities.com/dharmamom/quotes.html

      On animals

      The Maharshi's care for animals is legendary. After being stung by a scorpion he gave the following response.

      I stepped unwittingly on a scorpion and hurt it, so it stung me in return to remind me of its existence.

      Animals can think like human beings. We must not imagine they are senseless creatures. Some who have been in contact with people can understand words and conversations.
      The Maharshi pointed to a cow and said she could think intelligently.

      One night, a sleeping snake fell down from the roof of the
      Ashram hall. The Maharshi ordered the men to take a lantern to light its path to the door and told them not to hurt it. Regarding the snakes which infested the place, be said, 'We have come to their abode as guests and so we have no right to molest them. Let us leave
      them in peace'.

       posted on MillionPaths by Michael Bindel
      From the book, "Conscious Immortality" by Paul Brunton and Munagala Venkataramiah, published by Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai, South India. This book is available for purchase from our bookstore, for $9.95 plus shipping and handling. For more information, e-mail or telephone the AHAM Center (USA). Or visit our web site Bookstore: http://www.aham.com/bookstore/index.html

      A recent caller at Gloria's front door