#1903 - Friday, August 27, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2004
      #1903 - Friday, August 27, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      If you want with a few words to benefit one who
      is eager to learn, speak with him about prayer,
      right faith, and the patient acceptance of what comes.
      For all else that is good is found through these.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      from Philokalia, I
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      posted by Gabriele Ebert on Million Paths

      The Buddhist tantras teach: "The thunderbolt cuts through hatred;
      the great symbol blazes bright. A drop appears in the midst of
      space; it appears as the door of life, and should be meditated upon
      in the center of the heart."

      http://jove.prohosting.com/tiso/index.html

      from Symeon the new Theologian
      On Hesychastic*  Heart meditation....

      "...the love of God, like a kind of heavenly dew which is joined
      with an ineffable light, falls immaterially on the heart in the
      guise of lightening and takes the form of a shining pearl...This
      pearl grows daily in the heart of him who prefers it to
      everything else, becomes in him a miracle of miracles, both
      inexpressible in every way and in all respects indescribable,
      neither grasped by the mind nor uttered in words. Ecstatic at
      the inexpressibility and incomprehensibility of the thing, and
      fixing his intellect in meditation upon it, the man goes wholly
      outside the world - not in his body, but - in all his
      perceptions, for the latter also withdraw together with the
      intellect to what is contemplated within him."
      ("on the Mystical Life" - Vol.2, pg 106

      *stillness, silence

      from Jackson Peterson: ejackpete@...

      Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches?

      Have you ever tried to enter the long black branches
      of other lives --
      tried to imagine what the crisp fringes, full of honey,
      hanging
      from the branches of the young locust trees, in early morning,
      feel like?

      Do you think this world was only an entertainment for you?

      Never to enter the sea and notice how the water divides
      with perfect courtesy, to let you in!
      Never to lie down on the grass, as though you were the grass!
      Never to leap to the air as you open your wings over
      the dark acorn of your heart!

      No wonder we hear, in your mournful voice, the complaint
      that something is missing from your life!

      Who can open the door who does not reach for the latch?
      Who can travel the miles who does not put one foot
      in front of the other, all attentive to what presents itself
      continually?
      Who will behold the inner chamber who has not observed
      with admiration, even with rapture, the outer stone?

      Well, there is time left --
      fields everywhere invite you into them.

      And who will care, who will chide you if you wander away
      from wherever you are, to look for your soul?

      Quickly, then, get up, put on your coat, leave your desk!

      To put one's foot into the door of the grass, which is
      the mystery, which is death as well as life, and
      not be afraid!

      To set one's foot in the door of death, and be overcome
      with amazement!

      To sit down in front of the weeds, and imagine
      god the ten-fingered, sailing out of his house of straw,
      nodding this way and that way, to the flowers of the
      present hour,
      to the song falling out of the mockingbird's pink mouth,
      to the tippets of the honeysuckle, that have opened

      in the night

      To sit down, like a weed among weeds, and rustle in the wind!

      Listen, are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?

      While the soul, after all, is only a window,

      and the opening of the window no more difficult
      than the wakening from a little sleep.

      Only last week I went out among the thorns and said
      to the wild roses:
      deny me not,
      but suffer my devotion.
      Then, all afternoon, I sat among them. Maybe

      I even heard a curl or tow of music, damp and rouge red,
      hurrying from their stubby buds, from their delicate watery bodies.

      For how long will you continue to listen to those dark shouters,
      caution and prudence?
      Fall in! Fall in!

      A woman standing in the weeds.
      A small boat flounders in the deep waves, and what's coming next
      is coming with its own heave and grace.

      Meanwhile, once in a while, I have chanced, among the quick things,
      upon the immutable.
      What more could one ask?

      And I would touch the faces of the daises,
      and I would bow down
      to think about it.

      That was then, which hasn't ended yet.

      Now the sun begins to swing down. Under the peach-light,
      I cross the fields and the dunes, I follow the ocean's edge.

      I climb, I backtrack.
      I float.
      I ramble my way home.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (West Wind: Poems and Prose Poems

      Have Hope

      The modern era is steeped in restlessness as man is tossed between
      conflicting ideals.  Like mounds in a sandy desert, intellectual knowledge
      is mounting up without provision for the expression of the heart, which is
      so vitally necessary to quench the need of the spirit.  It is lack of this
      that has checkmated man's achievements, in spite of himself and his enormous
      advancements in the fields of science.  Unhappiness and insecurity,
      emotional or otherwise, are the dominant notes of the age, and mankind is
      engulfed in the darkness of wars, hate and fear.
         Yet I say, "Have hope."
         Selfishness and lust for power tend to drag man towards brutality, which
      he has inherited from his evolutionary ancestry or acquired during erroneous
      searching through his incarnations.  But there is within man the
      inextinguishable light of Truth, because he is essentially divine in origin
      and being.
         Those who cleanse their hearts of the embittering poison of selfishness,
      hate and greed shall find God as their own true Self.  When you find and
      realize God, the problem of selfishness and its numerous expressions melts
      away like mist before the sun.  In God and as God, all life reveals itself
      as being really one and indivisible, and all separateness created by
      identification with human or subhuman forms is seen to be illusory.
         The Truth of divine life is not a hope but a reality.  It is the only
      reality, and all else is illusion.  Have faith and you will be redeemed.
      Have love and you will conquer the lower and limited self of cravings that
      veil your own true being as God.  Not through desperate self-seeking, but
      through constant self-giving is it possible to find the Self of all selves.

      from Meher Baba, "Life At Its Best"

      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      To subscribe to allspiritinspiration, send a blank email to:
      allspiritinspiration-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

       posted on Allspirit Inspiration by Gill Eardley

      Al Larus photo: http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/Views.htm

      A Scientists View: Peter Russell

      The Paradox of Light

      With hindsight, my decision to study theoretical physics along with
      experimental psychology was definitely the right one. They provided
      two complementary directions to my personal search for truth.
      Theoretical physics was taking me closer toward the ultimate truths
      of the physical world, while my pursuit of experimental psychology
      was a first step toward truth in the inner world of consciousness.
      Moreover, the deeper I went in these two directions, the closer the
      truths of the inner and outer worlds became. And the bridge between
      them was light.

      Both relativity and quantum physics, the two great paradigm shifts of
      modern physics, started from anomalies in the behavior of light, and
      both led to radical new understandings of the nature of light. For
      example, in relativity theory, at the speed of light time comes to a
      stop–in effect, that means for light there is no time whatsoever.
      Furthermore, a photon can traverse the entire universe without using
      up any energy–in effect, that means for light there is no space. In
      quantum theory, we find that light has zero mass and charge, which in
      effect means that it is immaterial. Light, therefore, seems to occupy
      a very special place in the cosmic scheme; it is in some ways more
      fundamental than time, space, or matter. The same, I later
      discovered, was true of the inner light of consciousness.

      Although all we ever see is light, paradoxically, we never know light
      directly. The light that strikes the eye is known only through the
      energy it releases. This energy is translated into a visual image in
      the mind, and that image seems to be composed of light–but that light
      is a quality of mind. We never know the light itself.

      Physics, like Genesis, suggests that in the beginning there was
      light, or, rather, in the beginning there is light, for light
      underlies every process in the present moment. Any exchange of energy
      between any two atoms in the universe involves the exchange of
      photons. Every interaction in the material world is mediated by
      light. In this way, light penetrates and interconnects the entire
      cosmos.

      An oft-quoted phrase comes to mind: God is Light. God is said to be
      absolute–and in physics, so is light. God lies beyond the manifest
      world of matter, shape, and form, beyond both space and time–so does
      light. God cannot be known directly–nor can light.

      The Light of Consciousness

      My studies in experimental psychology taught me much about the basic
      functioning of the human brain. Yet, despite all I was learning about
      neurophysiology, biochemistry, memory, behavior, and perception, I
      found myself no closer to understanding the nature of consciousness
      itself. The East, however, seemed to have a lot to say about
      consciousness, and so had many mystics, from around the world. For
      thousands of years they had focused on the realm of the mind,
      exploring its subtleties through direct personal experience. I
      realized that such approaches might offer insights unavailable to the
      objective approach of Western science, and began delving into ancient
      texts such as the Upanishads, The Tibetan Book of the Great
      Liberation, The Cloud of Unknowing, and works of contemporary writers
      such as Alan Watts, Aldous Huxley, Carl Jung, and Christopher
      Isherwood.

      I was fascinated to find that here, as in modern physics, light is a
      recurring theme. Consciousness is often spoken of as the inner light.
      St John refers to "the true light, which lighteth every man that
      cometh into the world." The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation
      speaks of "the self-originated Clear Light, eternally unborn . . .
      shining forth within one's own mind."

      Those who have awakened to the truth about reality–whom we often call
      illumined, or enlightened–frequently describe their experiences in
      terms of light. The sufi Abu'l-Hosian al-Nuri experienced a
      light "gleaming in the Unseen. . . . I gazed at it continually, until
      the time came when I had wholly become that light."

      The more I read about this inner light, the more I saw close
      parallels with the light of physics. Physical light has no mass, and
      is not part of the material world; the same is true of consciousness.
      Light seems in some way fundamental to the universe, its values are
      absolute, universal constants. The light of consciousness is likewise
      fundamental; without it there would be no experience.

      This led me to wonder whether there was some deeper significance to
      these similarities. Were they pointing to a more fundamental
      connection between the light of the physical world and the light of
      consciousness? Do physical reality and the reality of the mind share
      the same common ground–a ground whose essence is light?

      from Jackson Peterson: ejackpete@...

      Mr. G.V. Subbaramiah, a devotee, has written some short poems,  which
      are interesting. Some of them refer to a child. Sri Bhagavan  said God
      becomes a child, and vice versa. That means that the  samskaras are yet
      latent in the child and thus its innocence is  complete. When they are
      eradicated even a grown up man  becomes a child again, and thus
      remains God.

      The author said: The child creates the 'home' atmosphere.

      Sri Bhagavan: Yes. The children are always in the 'home'. We too  are
      there but are dreaming and imagining that we are outside the  home.

      Sri Bhagavan added: I have rendered the word 'youth' (yuva) in
      Dakshinamurti Stotra as 'child' (bala). This seems more  appropriate. To
      be reborn is to become a child over again. One  must be reborn before
      gaining jnana, i.e., recovering the natural  state.

      ~ Talks with Ramana Maharshi
         On Realizing Abiding Peace and Happiness p. 315

      posted by Viorica Weissman on Million Paths

      Al Larus http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/Views.htm

      Papaji

      Q: I am having difficulty expressing what I want to say.

      Papaji:

      When you cannot express it, it means that you are That Itself. You
      can only express something that is other than you. That which you are
      gives power to all your expressions, but That Itself cannot be
      expressed.

      The Katha Upanishad says that the Self reveals Itself to him whom the
      Self chooses. It is not revealed by the intellect. If the Self
      chooses you, then Self alone remains. The Grace of the Self reveals
      Itself to Itself.

      When you have denuded yourself of all concepts, what happens? The
      revelation of the Self. You have ideas such as 'my knowledge', 'my
      experience'. Can't you throw them away for just one second?

      from NOTHING EVER HAPPENED, vol 2, p. 321
      by  David Godman

      posted by Viorica Weissman on Million Paths

      NO BIRTH, NO BASE AND UNION

      "The true nature of appearances is that they've never been born
      If birth seems to happen it's just clinging, nothing more
      The spinning wheel of existence has neither a base nor a root
      If things seem to be stable, that's only a thought
      The true nature of the mind is union, inseparability
      If you separate its aspects, you're hooked on some view

      The sign of the true lamas is that they hold a lineage
      The ones who make stuff up are just being dumb
      The mind's basic reality is like the clear and open sky
      But the dark clouds of thoughts just cover it all up
      So let the lama's pith advice
      Be the wind that blows those clouds away

      Even confused thoughts themselves are clear light
      that shines so  brilliantly
      Experiences so bright like sun and moonlight
      Without any direction, clarity shines timelessly
      You cannot hold it, you can't say what it is
      So many kinds of certainty shine like the stars in the sky

      Whatever arises is the greatest bliss
      Its nature is simplicity, the dharmakaya expanse
      The six dependent appearances are empty naturally
      This natural flow is effortless, there's not a klesha in sight
      Within this basic state, completely relaxed
      Wisdom without fixation abides continuously
      The three kayas inseparable—the greatest miracle"

                  ~Songs of Milarepa

      found at the website
      http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/issues/2002/winter/experiences

      posted by Anapachen on Daily Dharma