#1897 - Saturday, August 21, 2004

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #1897 Saturday, August 21, 2004 Editor: Mark

      On SELF

      Underneath the superficial self, which pays attention to this and that, there is another self more really us than I. And the more you become aware of the unknown self -- if you become aware of it -- the more you realize that it is inseparably connected with everything else that is. You are a function of this total galaxy, bounded by the Milky Way, and this galaxy is a function of all other galaxies. You are that vast thing that you see far, far off with great telescopes. You look and look, and one day you are going to wake upand say, "Why, that's me!" And in knowing that, you know that you never die. You are the eternal thing that comes and goes, that appears -- now as John Jones, now as Mary Smith, now as Betty Brown -- and so it goes, forever and ever and ever.

      - Alan Watts

      The inner stillness of a person who truly 'is peace' brings peace to the interconnected web of life, both inner and outer. To stop the war, we need to begin with ourselves.

      'Do you know what astonished me most in the world? The inability of force to create anything. In the long run; the sword is always beaten by the spirit.' (Napoleon Bonaparte)

      This is the purpose of a spiritual discipline and of choosing a path with heart - to discover peace and connectedness in ourselves and to stop the war in us and around us.

      - Jack Kornfield from the book, A Path WIth Heart, published by Bantam, posted to DailyDharma

      What is spiritual silence? It is not just the absence of talk. Silence has substance. It is the presence of something.

      Thomas Merton claims that silence is our admission that we have broken communication with God and are now willing to listen. We can be reduced to silence in times of doubt, uncertainty, nothingness, and awe. When we have exhausted all our human efforts, experience the limitations of human justice, or the finitude of human relationships, we are left with silence. Those who have experienced the sacrament of failure are more likely to know the emptying power of silence.

      There is a relationship between outward silence and interior silence. Merton notes that even the overuse of sign language within the material silence of the monastery promotes the busy mind. The more silence becomes part of our lives, the less impulsive we become. We are slowed down. Silence can reconcile the contradictions within us holding them in a healthy tension. Often we can internally watch our first response to a situation. The awareness that comes from a grounding in silence allows us to respond more authentically.

      - excerpt from the essay Some Thoughts on Silence by Kathryn Damiano

      More here: http://www.quakerinfo.com/silence.shtml

      Two Fleas

      Two fleas were discussing
      the universe and the role
      of fur in salvation.

      "You canna be saved"
      insisted the 1st "without fur".
      "That so," said his litter mate.

      Both were now trying
      desperately & unsuccessfully
      to make a living on the back

      of a rotund armadillo an
      animal distinctly without fur
      save for a few wiry nasal hairs.

      "All the divine ones have fur,
      some thick & rich as dust
      like the Great Cat, others

      puny and sparse like the
      Smooth Skinned Ones who
      call themselves human."

      "And what does that prove
      replied the 2nd flea
      "other than these bodies &

      worlds we leap to are endless &
      varied & it takes faith to make
      the leap in the first place?"

      "We canna live on faith", said 1st,
      "it was our hesitation got us here
      on this barren scaly universe where

      we're starving, unable make eggs,
      doomed, our very blood drying up
      inside as we speak."

      "But one's never sure," replied the
      2nd, "let's leap into the unknown,
      to the next green passing leaf

      that scratches the side of this
      heaving home, let's arc ourselves
      into freedom and possibilities."

      "Don't mean nothin without fur"
      moaned the 1st, "a leaf - ain't even
      worth trying. Every flea knows that."

      © Zen Oleary, posted to SufiMystic

      Your New Age
      Is neither new
      Nor will it last an age.

      You ride a pendulum
      On a clock wound
      To run for eternity.

      Your despair has
      Today turned to hope.
      Tomorrow it will
      Turn back again.

      The walls of oppression
      You tear down here
      Will be rebuilt

      The meek shall
      Inherit the earth
      Then the clever ones
      Will take it back from them.

      The torture chamber
      Will empty
      And refill.

      A disease will
      Be conquered
      And a new one will
      Appear to take its place.

      This strikes you
      As a bleak vision
      But Ram Tzu knows this...

      It is your hope for a better future
      That keeps you in chains today.

      - Ram Tzu

      There will be time when winter comes
      to sit beside sweet fancy's fire with books,
      or weave with penciled words
      the fabric of one's life and loves;
      to pick among the knotted threads of dreams
      for colors that may still be bright,
      and so, with backward ranging thoughts
      to while away the nights.

      But now,
      when all the flames burn bright,
      let loving be the warp, the woof of life,
      the binding arms, the thirsting lips,
      the final fulfilled sigh...
      There will be time enough
      when winter comes
      for sleeping through the night.

      - Irene Dodge

      More here: http://www.cosmicwind.net/800/CWind/CwIdx.html

      Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life.

      - Herbert A. Otto, submitted to truevision by Eric Ashford.

      - Photo by Bob O'Hearn, words by Mazie Lane, submitted to AdyashantiSatsang