#1891 - Sunday, August 15, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2004

      #1891 - Sunday, August 15, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      A musician must make music,
      an artist must paint,
      a poet must write,
      if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
      What a man can be, he must be.

      - Abraham Maslow, The Farther Reaches of Human Nature

      Joe Riley ~ Panhala

      Czeslaw Milosz died Saturday.
      He fought against political tyranny but never lost sight that full freedom
      includes liberating the human spirit.
      We are all workers in the field....

      LATE RIPENESS

      Not soon, as late as the approach of my ninetieth year,
      I felt a door opening in me and I entered
      the clarity of early morning.

      One after another my former lives were departing,
      Like ships, together with their sorrow.

      And the countries, cities, gardens, the bays of seas
      assigned to my brush came closer,
      ready now to be described better than they were before.

      I was not separated from people,
      grief and pity joined us.
      We forget -- I kept saying -- that we are all children of
      the King.

      For where we come from there is no division
      Into Yes and No, into is, was, and it will be.

      We were miserable, we used no more than a hundredth part
      of the gift we received for our long journey.

      Moments from yesterday and from centuries ago --
      a sword blow, the painting of eyelashes before a mirror
      of polished metal, a lethal musket shot, a caravel
      staving its hull against a reef -- they dwell in us,
      waiting for a fulfillment.

      I knew, always, that I would be a worker in the vineyard,
      as are all men and women living at the same time,
      whether they are aware of it or not.

      ~ Czeslaw Milosz ~

      (Czeslaw Milosz: New and Collected Poems (1931-2001))

      (contributed by Patricia Wintyr)

      Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

      Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
      Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
      where there is injury,pardon;
      where there is doubt, faith;
      where there is despair, hope;
      where there is darkness, light;
      and where there is sadness, joy.

      O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
      to be consoled as to console;
      to be understood as to understand;
      to be loved as to love.
      For it is in giving that we receive;
      it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
      and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
      Amen

      Saint François d'Assise en prière (1587-97)
      El Greco
      Huile sur  toile , 103 x 87 cm.

      from images of Saint Francis: http://www.san-francesco.org/immagini_fra.html

      prayer posted to HarshaSatsangh by Lady Joyce

      Enlightenment Quotes

      To study the Way is to study the self.
      To study the self is to forget the self.
      To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things.
      To be enlightened by all things is to remove the barriers between one's self and others.
      Then there is no trace of enlightenment, though enlightenment itself continues into one's daily life endlessly.
      - Dogen

      Do not think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.
      - Dogen

      Even to be attached to the idea of enlightenment is to go astray.
      - Sen Ming, quoted by Ram Dass

      There is no enlightenment outside of daily life.
      - Thich Nhat Hanh

      Becoming aware, awakening, enlightenment, is possible right here and now, for everyone. From moment to moment, and yet only here and now, never sometimes, somewhere. Reality, God, is present here and now. The kingdom of heaven, blessedness, moksha, nirvana waits here and now. Outwardly nothing may happen, and yet a purely inner process can open up a new world, a new life, a new reality. - New? - Yes, really new, and yet as all those who have ever experienced it assert, at that moment we know that we have always been at home in that world, although we only now become aware of it.
      - Yrjö Kallinen, Finnish politician, pacifist

      The Power of Awareness

      Awareness of every reaction is your final freedom.
      - Vernon Howard

      Vernon Howard is a bare-bones spiritual teacher for the ages. In his books and
      tapes he puts forth the abc's of awareness in an amazing way. If you think he
      is too simple for you, think again. It is simplicity that sets us free. Those
      teachers who can transcend the mind are forever sending their messages to us if
      we would only listen.

      They speak about awareness as the key to finding peace. Ramana Maharshi and Sri
      Nisargadatta are the classic advaita vedanta teachers, but Vernon Howard is an
      American genius when it comes to teaching the same thing. I studied him before
      I did the other two. When I got around to reading them, I found that Vernon
      Howard had already taught me about being the Self, for truth is ever-present.

      The nice thing about Vernon Howard was that I could sit and listen to him in
      real time. As far as I know, he did nothing but speak the truth in every class
      he ever taught. The approach that he took was faultless; it weeded out the less
      serious students right away. Those who stayed got the good stuff. Ouspensky
      worked in the same way. He would pretend to be boring until the goof-offs left
      the building. Then he would scatter pearls to the remaining few. That is
      exactly how it should be. Those who work hard at understanding always get their
      reward.

      I write about my path through suffering as it unfolds. Being an intuitive
      writer, I recognize that what Vernon Howard taught me shows through; that he is
      behind me as a guiding principle. You might say that he keeps me honest. His
      idea of enlightenment was hard-hitting; there was no one there to become
      enlightened. Indeed.

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.bobwoodyard.com.

      RESURRECTION OR NIRVANA
      William Johnston on deeper healing

      "Healing in Christianity is a process of death and resurrection in which man, anguished in his existential separation from Christ and from other men and from the cosmos, is once more united with the one he loves and for whom he longs. In Buddhism there is a similar pattern. It is precisely because the self cuts man off from the whole that it must die; and it is by death and the loss of self that man enters into nirvana or union with the cosmos. A friend of mine, a Catholic priest, who practised some Zen told me that the Zen master once said to him with some severity, 'God sent his only Son into the world to die. And you must die too. So die!' This is one more example of Buddhist ability to see the relevance of Christian dogma for daily living. How well he saw that as Christ died, his followers must die too if they are to enter into resurrection.

      Buddhism, then, sees the necessity of death and of radical detachment as the gateway to nirvana. While I would not equate nirvana and resurrection (that would be an unpardonable oversimplification), I do believe that both concepts are striving to answer man's most terrible and most basic question - how to be healed from the anguish of separation and loneliness and isolation and death. In both religions death is conquered because it is the gateway to something else. Perhaps resurrection is a clearer affirmation of something hinted at by nirvana."

      - William Johnston, in Silent Music, The Science of Meditation, 1974 (The deeper healing, p. 130)

      Sayings of Jesus #86--Gospel of Thomas
      posted by Tony on HarshaSatsangh

      86) Jesus said, "[The foxes have their holes] and the birds have
      [their] nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head
      and rest."

      Yosy writes:
      ps. "son of man" ("ben-adam") is hebrew for "human".

      Zenbob writes:

      Yes, indeed, but Jesus often invoked this image to describe himself as the
      symbolic proto-human...not superior, not above, not better than...but purely
      equally human...which is funny when one sees how many modern Christian
      Fundamentalists have distorted the very notion of Jesus into some sort of
      God-on-earth-SuperHero.

      I like the purely human aspect...it make the acts, the sacrifices and the
      humility that much more worthy and moving. I care little about the "play act
      suffering" of a superhuman God-on-earth-in-human-clothing...that sort of
      suffering is like masochism...and it begins and ends whenever the Godly-human
      chooses. We mortals, well, we very rarely have much if any control over our
      afflictions and sufferings. I know this will create a wonderful response from
      so many of you who have discovered that we are all one and pain is illusion and
      how you have all conquered pain, suffering, dualism, and premature balding,
      but really folks, I am just being honest here, OK?

      Peace,

      Zenbob

      ~Meister Eckhart~

      Desire is wide, immeasurably so. But nothing that knowledge can grasp or desire can want, is God. Where knowledge and desire end, there is darkness, and there God shines.

      Be silent therefore, and do not chatter about God, for by
      chattering about him, you tell lies and commit a sin. If you wish to
      be perfect and without sin, then do not prattle about God. Also you
      should not wish to understand anything about God, for God is beyond
      all understanding. A master says: If I had a God that I could
      understand, I would not regard him as God. If you understand anything
      about him, then he is not in it, and by understanding something of
      him, you fall into ignorance...

      posted by Robert O'Hearn on AdyashantiSatsang

      The Meditation Experience

      Listen to Eckhart Tolle, Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, with free sound file downloads.

      "Join some of the best meditation instructors from the Sounds True spoken word audio library as they guide you through their favorite meditation practices. Click on the icons below to download each meditation."

      Al Larus poem with photos