#1887 - Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2004
      #1887 - Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      This is Part 2 of the review/summary of The Sacred Mirror: Nondual Wisdom and Psychotherapy, edited by John. L. Prendergast, Peter Fenner, and Sheila Krystal.

      Information about this book is available at

      Also in this issue I'll continue the In Nonduality Salon series, which covers the highlights from emails posted during the first nine months of Nonduality Salon, a span of time during which there were no Highlights.

      The Sacred Mirror

      Chapter 2: Nonduality and Therapy: Awakening the Unconditioned Mind

      by Peter Fenner

      Peter Fenner, Ph.D., was an ordained monk who now offers courses, workshops, contemplative dialogues, retreats, and counseling. Information may be accessed through his website, http://wisdom.org. He has written several books and articles.

      Fenner is very clear about the nothingness of nondual therapy: "...we know that there is no such thing as 'nondual therapy.' What makes nondual therapy unique is that it doesn't exist!" At the same time he devotes the bulk of the chapter on a structure for the nature and ways of therapy. Here is the outline of that structure:

      THE HALLMARKS OF NONDUAL THERAPIES
      -- The unconditioned mind is introduced and discussed in the context of therapy
      -- The unconditioned mind as the "ultimate medicine"
      -- Resting in the unconditioned mind is a state beyond suffering
      -- A homing instinct toward the unconditioned mind
      -- The unconditioned mind reconditions thought patterns and emotions
      -- Living in the here and now
      -- "The experience of the unconditioned mind is cultivated in the midst of our everyday existence."
      -- The union of love and wisdom ("The capacity to identify is love. The capacity to disidentify is wisdom. Both arise simultaneously and without any conflict.")

      OBSTACLES TO EXPERIENCING THE UNCONDITIONED MIND
      -- Our attachment to suffering
      -- The habitual need to be doing something
      -- Needing to know
      -- The need to create meaning
      -- Fearful projections about the unconditioned mind

      PRACTICES THAT  PREPARE AND SUPPORT THE CULTIVATING OF NONDUAL AWARENESS
      -- Observing and acknowledging the presence of fixations
      -- Discovery of a place free of strong desire
      -- Tuning into the present so that there is "completion in the moment"
      -- Opening "to the full force and richness of our conditioned existence."
      -- Developing serenity
      -- Resting in healing-bliss

      DISTINCTIVE GUIDELINES FOR NONDUAL THERAPY
      -- Holding a space of pure listening and speaking
      -- Facilitating "the natural release of fixed beliefs and frozen emotions by creating a space that is free of all pressures to change or be the same."
      -- Deconstructing fixations through the Madhyamika system
      -- "Naturally arising koans ... as tools for deconstructing our habitual ways of thinking."
      -- Using "checking questions" to assess the quality and purity of the unconditioned experience
      -- Dancing in the paradoxes of nondual logic

      Nondual therapists spin this talk about the nothingness of nondual therapy while formulating approaches and guidelines to nondual therapy. According to Fenner, the nondual therapist "uses the teachings and embodied presence of nondual masters as a model for how to manage our own evolution and thus make a powerful healing contribution to others. The model is based upon the healing capacity of the unconditioned mind. The common element in nondual approaches to therapy is a focus on awakening an experience of the unconditioned mind for the therapist and client, and the ongoing cultivation of this experience."

      What is key is that the therapist is not merely applying a set of guidelines for nondual therapy in the course of carrying out a profession, but that the therapist acually lives from the nondual disposition or the unconditioned mind. Living that way, it's no problem doing what Fenner has done: pointing out the nothingness of nondual therapy while listing explicit guidelines and suggested practices. First and last, nondual therapy is a "psychology of nothingness," as Dan Berkow says later in the book. Therefore, while strategies and guidelines for nondual therapy are given, what is known to the nondual therapist living in the neither existent nor non-existent now is all that can be known or done: nothing.

      ~ ~ ~

      The Sacred Mirror: Nondual Wisdom and Psychotherapy, edited by John. L. Prendergast, Peter Fenner, and Sheila Krystal.

      Information about this book is available at

      The Krishnamurphy poems were first published in Irish (Gaelic) and appear here for the first time in English translations
       by their creator, Gabriel Rosenstock.

      Riddle

      It's in the water
      but it doesn't get wet.
      Answer:
      an egg in a duck.
      I didn't think that one up, says Krishnamurphy.
      I don't do riddles:
      everything's a riddle if you ask me,
      the egg, the water, the duck,
      myself. This wee poem. (The one before
      and the next one).

      Answers

      As previously noted
      Krishnamurphy does not compose riddles
      But he's the smartest of all
      When it comes to the answers:
      Turf
      A snail
      A heron standing on one leg
      Irish hand drumA hedgehog
      A bodhrán -
      Irish hand-drum to you -
      The sea anemone

      Jein, says Krishnamurphy

      There's a word in German
      not taught in schools
      and that word is Jein.
      It is a type of  composite -
      Ja and Nein.
      Yes and No (Nes and yo).
      To answer the question,
      'Is this a poem?'
      Say Jein!

      Do you like me?
      Jein!

      The Heart of the Universe

      Get to the heart of the universe, says Krishnamurphy.
      How? ask the disciples.

      Understand, says Krishnamurphy,
      Understand that you are not the heart of the universe
      And the heart of the universe will reveal itself to you

      Open!

      'Open! Open!'
      said the dentist to Krishnamurphy.
      'I could not be more open!'
      whispered Krishnamurphy.

      The dentist experienced samadhi.
          The Pleasantries of Krishnamurphy

      Krishnamurphy discourses on Advaita

      Not two
      That is what is meant by Advaita.
      The hen? The egg?
      Not two. No.
      The egg is an extension of the hen.
      Everything is an extension of God, of the One,
      Ourselves included.
      Myself and Saddam Hussein
      We are closer than brothers
      There is not a whit of difference between us -
      Couldn't possibly be. Ever.
      Arabac is Gaelic
      In disguise
      Gaelic is Arabic.
      Every vowel and consonant
      Every sibilant is God's breath.
      No language ever died
      Or ever will
      No person or wren ever perished
      When you understand Advaita
      You will understand the nature of all things
      Every colour
      Every form
      Every poem ...

      Cock a doodle doo!
      Hey! Did you hear?
      I'm calling you!

      Krishnamurphy is Pregnant

      'I am heavy with a poem,'
      says Krishnamurphy to the faithful.
      'You will all have to act as midwife
      and bring it into the world.'
      'But - '
      The faithful were astounded:
      'Where is your womb, in the name of God!?'

      'In all of you,' says K.

      Krishnamurphy in Love

      I'm in love!
      I'm in love!
      I'm in love, says K.

      Who is she? the disciples ask.
      Over there in the corner!
      A cat? exclaim the startled disciples.
      And the other one - look!
      The cat was staring at a mouse.
      What bird just went by? asked K.
      A tit.
      I'm in love with her.
      Is there no one whom you do not love?
      None at all.
      What about the devil?
      He most of all - if he exists -
      Is is need of love.
      The disciples did a little dance of joy
      And were joined by the cat, the mouse, the tit
      And Old Nick himself).

      In Nonduality Salon:
      selected posts from the between August, 1998, and May, 1999