Highlights Mon6Dec

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 1999
      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      There is eternal slipping into the Interval. Nondualists
      must be ice skaters. I turn on this list and I see the air
      spinning with triple Salchow's. Nothing holds. We skate the
      ice and slip into the Interval and skate the ice and slip
      some more. It's a sport.

      Wait, I gotta tie my skates...

      Love,
      jerry

      Sanscrit Teacher Wanted

      Friends of mine at a yoga center downtown in New York City are mounting
      a teacher's training course. I am helping out, and we are looking for a
      knowledgeable person to teach the Sanskrit alphabet, sounds, esoteric
      correspondences, basic verses, chants, mantras, etc. The schedule will
      start in January, and the teacher would be needed for an hour or two
      each week or two, for a period of 6 months. Any suggestions? Knowledge
      of Vedanta or Patanjali-yoga-sutras very helpful, but not necessary.
      Compensation offered, but I'm not sure of the terms yet.

      Reply to Greg at <goode@...>, or call 212-734-6289.

      Thanks!!

      --Greg

      There is no me, separated into a me and a larger me.
      There is only this moment, in which all and everyone occurs.
      I used to believe that there was a me, locked inside this moment,
      looking
      for a larger me.
      I found neither the me, nor larger me.
      I didn't even find the one that was looking.
      What was found, was only this moment.

      Within this moment
      I can find no distinction
      between what could be me
      and what could be larger me.

      To find such a distinction,
      I have to go by definition,
      in order to define the difference,
      between me and larger me.

      What I used to define as me,
      and what I used to define as larger me,
      are simply definitions, thoughts.
      Arisen,
      within this moment.

      Love,
      Mira

      I caught a glimpse of a discussion about staying in a room for a week
      and not doing anything; there was a remark to the effect that this would
      be unusual. My practice background is in Tibetan Buddhism ala Chogyam
      Trungpa and there solitary retreat is very common. In fact in Buddhism
      generally everything is very formal and structured and there is lots of
      oversight. I've been reading advaita for the last few years and my
      general impression is that everyone just makes it up as they go along.
      So I was wondering what people in this group actually do or what they
      did to achieve a foundational breakthrough, an orientation so they're
      not just wandering around in a fog. Ever since I found this list I
      pretty much think about "nonduality" all the time. I've stopped reading
      books and find myself gazing off into space quite a lot. The only
      formal thing I do is sit quietly for about an hour after work. I live
      alone, have an easy job and few responsibilities, but I'm sure some of
      you have a challenging family, professional, and social life and any
      advice you could give on how you manage all that would be welcome.
      Thanks for everything, Larry.

      Kristie: I have never seen the body as real since, i.e. as the defining
      limitation to experience....makes one wonder about things like
      telekinesis and the "joined" consciousnessess of twins separated,
      physically, by long distances. It also explains why medicine dances in
      tribal cultures work.....what you believe you make true.....if you
      believe a woman dancing with bear claws will heal you.....it will!
      ~~~~~~~~~
      Hi, Kristie.. I sure am enjoying reading your various posts... this one
      made me remember my own experience, what emerged for me, however, was a
      somewhat different 'conclusion'. I also gave birth at home.. and in
      spite of a strong 'belief' that I'd participate in 'spiritual
      midwifery'.. my body seemed to have it's own agenda. Later.. I read
      theories proposing that we give birth in the fashion and from the
      cellular memory format of our own birth. My own birth was traumatic
      ending in Cesarian and almost causing my mom's life. When I gave birth
      it was traumatic.. right up until the midwife surgically broke the sac..
      then, for the alleged 'hard part', there was no 'pain' memory and it was
      smooth sailing and surrender into a dimension of power. This experience
      (all of pregnancy, nursing etc) radically altered my body-mind
      perception. It also humbled me in meeting my animal nature.

      I don't quite understand why you "real" as 'the defining limitation? And
      it's ok if you don't feel like expanding that one.

      thanks,
      Christiana

      Speaking for myself alone, I was saying that attention goes
      to all kinds of places very easily and naturally, mostly
      food, sex, money, personal power, self-image; and that God
      is one of those places and that it's good to make an effort
      to place extra attention on God.

      Marcia clearly pointed out that there is a difference
      between the mechanical association with subjects related to
      people and to pondering or thinking deeply about God. Yes.

      When a statement is made, "Think only of God," each person
      has to interpret it for themselves. I see God as power and
      that it is good to think about that power, or to ponder it;
      one can make mechanical associations with it too, I imagine.
      Deep thoughts about God should be as easy and handy as a
      cigarette. They shouldn't require a special time, place,
      setting or frame of mind, as far as I know. They certainly
      belong on the coffee table with the chips and the m&m's.

      The I AM is what is; it is suchness. God is movement, power,
      creation, destruction, the force of Grace; it is the Word
      and the Word is I AM, and it is delivered in manifest ways.
      To think of or ponder that power is to think of God.

      Suchness IS and can't be pondered; God can be pondered from
      the disposition of suchness. The two meet, God and suchness
      meet when God's movement is recognized as the teaching: I
      AM. That is the one occurrence. That is the word of God. The
      One Knowledge is to Stand Free, free of God and suchness. So
      one understands I AM, one Stands Free, one ponders or thinks
      about God, which is the power to deliver the word and which
      is not separate from the word I AM and which is not separate
      from the suchness of I AM.

      Jerry

      Glo Lovely B'day

      The Sun Rises, radiant gold and red
      bursting through the night sky
      spectacularlly spilling God's supreme
      Love and Light across the sky

      Dark like black iced sentinels the Trees stand
      Timing timelessness in eternity
      Frozen crystalline holographic icicles spill
      crystallized rainbows of color across frozen blades of grass

      And Gloria's beautiful insight dances
      like an Angel lightly across the pages
      Her "ice on fire" is beautifully writ
      and humbly i offer you a golden year
      full of Joy, Love, Light and Grace

      Christiana, I know you less well, but
      a year of a chalice which like the container
      contains only supreme beatitude :-)

      Jan K, welcome to NDS, maybe you'll
      be so kind as to play a gig for the Saloonists :-)

      En als mijn Hollandse est leuke, het moot werk hebbe ;-)
      ("If my Dutch is cute, it needs work," Jan B, your dry wit
      can save itself for another moment *g*)

      Love and Light,
      Annette

      poems from her head

      hi
      a little chunk of history
      or
      what the thunder really said:

      incantations: wise the rhyme
      that blows from
      tree to tree it's just

      soul talk: me breathing
      about breathing going about
      living. . .not denying

      sharing in the secrets of the wet dark
      forest hum and beat and buzzzzzz

      and rhyme (oh, to make it mine)
      a token to remember
      nature by. . ..but it's not me

      it was never me that
      sang-- go ask the pines--go! then
      ask the river down the line

      go ask the soul that gentle holds
      the clouds and lets them go,
      bloom, careen, and float on by. . .

      as i surrender for a song remember
      what i know so long
      wise the rhyme that blows from tree
      to tree. get off knees and dance!

      it's just an incantation
      just the trees talking wise
      the rhyme
      the wise from tree to tree.

      love,
      gen

      I will be posting the Forty Verses On Reality by Sri Ramana periodically
      (from the Mountain Path Journal). Given below is the Introduction,
      Invocation and the first three verses.

      Harsha

      Advaita, non-duality, Identity, is the supreme doctrine. Jnana marga,
      the path of knowledge, is the approach to it: Self-enquiry, 'Who am I?',
      is the technique Bhagavan taught for this path. There is no more
      profound and comprehensive statement of it than his 'Forty Verses on
      Reality' which are here given.

      Invocatory

      i. If Reality did not exist, could there be any knowledge of existence?
      Free from all thoughts, Reality abides in the Heart, the Source of all
      thoughts. It is, therefore, called the Heart. How then is one to
      contemplate it? To be as it is in the Heart, is Its contemplation.
      ii. Those who know intense fear of death seek refuge only at the feet of
      the Lord Who has neither death nor birth. Dead to themselves and their
      possessions, can the thought of death occur to them again? Deathless are
      they.

      Verses

      1. From our perception of the world there follows acceptance of a unique
      First Principle possessing various powers. Pictures of name and form,
      the person who sees, the screen on which he sees, and the light by which
      he sees: he himself is all of these.

      2. All religions postulate the three fundamentals, the world, the soul,
      and God, but it is only the one Reality that manifests Itself as these
      three. One can say, 'The three are really three' only so long as the ego
      lasts. Therefore, to inhere in one's own Being, where the 'I', or ego,
      is dead, is the perfect State.

      3. 'The world is real.' 'No, it, is a mere illusory appearance.' 'The
      world is conscious.' 'No.' 'The world is happiness.' 'No.' What use is
      it to argue thus? That State is agreeable to all, wherein, having given
      up the objective outlook, one knows one's Self and loses all notions
      either of unity or duality, of oneself and the ego.

      The words of Ramana Maharshi and stories about the Sage are imbued with
      Divine Magic, at least for me. His words are Pure Grace. It is the dance
      of
      simple clarity that leads to the Heart. I am reminded of the words of
      Jnaneshwar that I posted a while back from Jerry's website.

      (please note that I have rearranged the verses to suit my taste - my
      apologies to the purists). --The book from which these excerpts are
      taken,
      is entitled "Jnaneshvar:
      The Life and Works of the Celebrated Thirteenth Century Indian
      Mystic-Poet," by S. Abhyayananda.
      Harsha

      I offer obeisance to the God and Goddess,
      The limitless primal parents of the universe.
      He becomes as vast as the sky,
      Including the entire universe within himself.
      Within him
      Even darkness and non-existence dwell.

      The moon spreads her soft light,
      Pervading the entire sky.
      It is She Herself
      Who enhances Her own form.
      If night and day were to approach the Sun,
      Both would disappear.
      In the same way, their duality would vanish
      If their essential Unity were seen.
      It can be seen, therefore,
      That he who perceives that there is nothing
      Does not himself become nothing.
      The Self has this same unique kind of existence,
      Beyond both existence and non-existence.

      The ultimate Reality
      Is neither an object to Itself
      Nor is It an object to anyone else.
      Should it then be regarded as non-existent?

      In a tank the water may be so clear
      That it appears non-existent;
      Though one who looks into the tank may not see it,
      Still it is there.

      Similarly,
      The ultimate Reality exists in Itself,
      And is beyond the conceptions