#1876 - Sunday, August 1, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      Look and See -- Mary Oliver
      #1876 - Sunday, August 1, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Look and See
      This morning, at waterside, a sparrow flew
      to a water rock and landed, by error, on the back
      of an eider duck; lightly it fluttered off, amused.
      The duck, too, was not provoked, but, you might say, was
      This afternoon a gull sailing over
      our house was casually scratching
      its stomach of white feathers with one
      pink foot as it flew.
      Oh Lord, how shining and festive is your gift to us, if we
      only look, and see.
      ~ Mary Oliver ~
      (Why I Wake Early)

      Letter to Editors
      Martha Ramsey sent us a book recommendation that includes our own Dan Berkow,well known on various lists for past several years
      Sacred Mirror: Nondual Wisdom and Psychotherapy

      Seasoned clinicians, Dan Berkow, Stephan Bodian, Dorothy Hunt, Sheila Krystal, Lynn Marie Lumiere, Richard Miller, John Prendergast, John Welwood, Jennifer Welwood and Bryan Wittine, and innovative western spiritual teachers, Adyashanti and Peter Fenner, explore critical issues at the interface of psychology and spirituality from a nondual perspective.

      Table of Contents
      1. Introduction by John Prendergast
      2. Nonduality and Therapy: Awakening the Unconditioned Mind by Peter Fenner
      3. Love Returning for Itself by Adyashanti
      4. The Sacred Mirror: Being Together by John Prendergast
      5. A Nondual Approach To EMDR: Psychotherapy as Satsang by Sheila Krystal
      6. Double Vision: Duality and Nonduality in Human Experience by John Welwood
      7. Being Intimate with What Is: Healing the Pain of Separation by Dorothy Hunt
      8. A Psychology of No-thingness: Seeing Through the Projected Self by Dan Berkow
      9. Welcoming All That Is: Nonduality, Yoga Nidra, and the Play of Opposites in Psychotherapy by Richard Miller
      10. Deconstructing the Self: The Uses of Inquiry in Psychotherapy and Spiritual Practice by Stephan Bodian
      11. Healing Trauma in the Eternal Now by Lynn Marie Lumiere
      12. Jungian Analysis and Nondual Wisdom by Bryan Wittine
      13. Dancing with Form and Emptiness in Intimate Relationship by Jennifer Welwood

      During the past decade, there has been an explosion of films and television programs containing religious and spiritual themes. Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ was only the tip of the iceberg. As new generations of Americans work out their spiritual and religious questions, they are increasingly turning to fantasy.

      We'll explore the deeper appeal of films like Harry Potter and The Matrix, and we'll ask how fantasy in media reflects a changing spiritual imagination, especially in younger Americans.

      LISTEN to the radio show.
      (21:01) Audio Clip from Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone
      In the scene excerpted from Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter is standing in front of a magical mirror that allows him to see his family, the one he has never known, when Professor Dumbledore finds him:
      Professor Dumbledore: I see that you like so many before have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised. I trust, by now, you realize what it does. Let me give you a clue: the happiest man on earth would look into the mirror and see only himself, exactly as he is.

      Harry Potter: So, then, it shows us what we want, whatever we want.

      Professor Dumbledore: Yes, and no. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest and most desperate desires of our hearts. This mirror gives us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away in front of it.
      31:27) Audio Clip from The Matrix: Reloaded
      In a scene from
      The Matrix: Reloaded, The Oracle gives Neo some candy and explains what Neo must do to save Zion:
      Oracle: We're all here to do what we're all here to do.

      Neo: Are there other programs like you?

      Oracle: No, not like me, but… Look, see those birds. At some point a program was written to govern them. A program was written to watch over the trees and the wind, sunrise and sunset; there are programs running all over the place. The ones doing their job — doing what they were meant to do — are invisible. You'd never even know they were here. But the other ones, well, you hear about them all the time.

      Neo: I've never heard of them.

      Orcale: Of course you have. Every time you've heard someone say they saw a ghost or an angel. Every story you've ever heard about vampires, werewolves, or aliens, is the system assimilating some program that's doing something they're not supposed to be doing.

      Neo: Programs hacking programs. Why?

      Oracle: Well, there are reasons. Usually a program chooses exile when it faces deletion.

      Neo: And why would a program be deleted?

      Oracle: Maybe it breaks down. Maybe a better program is created to replace it. It happens all the time. And when it does, a program can either choose to hide here or return to the source.
      Editors note: (Yes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is included.) The idea is also put forth that anyone born after 1985 does not think linerally, but sees facts as hyperlinked in a spider web of resonating influences. In other words, their mind functions like a Google search. Less of a push to conclude, but more to include. Also a review of publishing trends shows not only a trend to the revival of medieval magic, but a resurgence of serious interest in chanting and fasting. This discussion of how the spiritual is portrayed in various media can be superficial at times, but the focus on the views of a younger generation is worth hearing.

      Dear Fellow-reader:
      The August issue of the TAT Forum is now on-line at www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm
      This month's contents, including selected responses from our request for papers on compassion as an element of the spiritual search:

      Laws by Richard Rose | Compassion Is Irrational by Ricky Cobb | Wisdom & Compassion by Alfred Pulyan | Compassion Can't Be Cultivated by Rich Hay | True Compassion by Bob Fergeson | Compassion as a Virtue by Steve Holloway | Dispassion by Gary Harmon | Compassion & Dispassion by Vince Lepidi | Compassion & Love of Truth by Franklin Merrell-Wolff | Poems by Shawn Nevins | Self-Absorbed by Shawn Nevins | Compassion Is Love by James Riley | Humor

      That which pertains to consciousness is unable

      to perceive the transcendent Wisdom.

      That which pertains to action is unable

      to perceive the truth beyond action.

      If you would attain the transcendent,

      that which is beyond consciousness and action;
      then cut the root of consciousness,

      and let the mind revert to nakedness.

      The polluted pool of mental activity will clear

      if simply left to settle, undisturbed.

      Do not try to stop appearances as they arise,

      for Mahamudra is beyond acceptance and rejection.

      From his wonderful "Ganga Ma,"
      translated on the "Dharma Fellowship" web site:

      posted on Daily Dharma

      Good morning dears!
      i found this lovely web site of a woman playing the bamboo flute and
      writing poetry about her experiences. You can hear her flute here
      (hopefully, if not, it is on her site):
      and below is a sample of her poetry.  May the peace of the shakuhachi be
      with you throughout your day.  love, dg

      "If you can play a certain kind of music, you can dismantle the violence
      on our planet." ~Carlos Santana

      Teach me about growing in the sun
      About rain and
      What to do when there is not enough.
      Teach me about strength in the face of the wind.

      Sing to me about the first bamboo
      Still surging alive in you.

      Tell me about the beginning of time
      And the history of the universe
      As it still resonates within you.

      I have heard you moan and grow
      And whisper and sigh
      I have felt you change beneath my fingers Swell and contract.
      Sing high and low.

      Sing to me your being
      And give voice to me.

      We sing together, you and I.