#1874 - Friday, July 30, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      #1874 - Friday, July 30, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Be Quiet, this is my Advice,
      but if you have to think, think "I am Pure Consciousness,
      and if you have to speak, speak of the Self,
      and if you must read, read what the Enlightened have written.

                                                              Papaji, from "The Truth Is"

      posted by Viorica Weissman on MillionPaths

      The study of the Vedas, linguistics,
      Rituals, astronomy and all the arts
      Can be called lower knowledge. The higher
      Is that which leads to Self-realization.

      The eye cannot see it; mind cannot grasp it.
      The deathless Self has neither caste nor race,
      Neither eyes not ears nor hands nor feet.
      Sages say this Self is infinite in the great
      And in the small, everlasting and changeless,
      The source of life.

      -Mundaka Upanishad

      From The Upanishads, translated by Eknath Easwaran, copyright 1987.

       Ellam Onre
      Should the three states,
      waking, dream and deep sleep,
      be taken to form one long dream,
      the fourth state represents
      the waking from this dream.
      - Ellam Onre Ch 2 vs 6

      He who has realized the fourth state
      later wakes up in this world,
      but for him this world is not as before.
      He sees that what he realized as the fourth state,
      shines forth as all this.
      - Ellam Onre Ch2 vs 8
      7. Ask: "If in the world all things appear different,
      how can I consider all as one? Is there any
      way of gaining this knowledge?"
      The reply is: "In the same tree we see leaves, flowers, berries
      and branches, different from one another,
      yet they are all one because they are all included
      in the word 'tree'.
      Their root is the same; their sap is the same.
      Similarly, all things, all bodies,
      all organisms are from the same source and
      activated by a single life principle."
      Therefore all is one.
      - Ellam Onre

      Forty Verses on Reality
      By Sri Ramana Maharshi

      1. From our perception of the world there follows acceptance of a unique First Principle possessing various powers. Pictures of name and form, the person who sees, the screen on which he sees, and the light by which he sees: he himself is all of these.

      2. All religions postulate the three fundamentals, the world, the soul, and God, but it is only the one Reality that manifests Itself as these three. One can say, 'The three are really three' only so long as the ego lasts. Therefore, to inhere in one's own Being, where the 'I', or ego, is dead, is the perfect State.

      3. 'The world is real.' 'No, it, is a mere illusory appearance.' 'The world is conscious.' 'No.' 'The world is happiness.' 'No.' What use is it to argue thus? That State is agreeable to all, wherein, having given up the objective outlook, one knows one's Self and loses all notions either of unity or duality, of oneself and the ego.

      4. If one has form oneself, the world and God also will appear to have form, but if one is formless, who is it that sees those forms, and how? Without the eye can any object be seen? The seeing Self is the Eye, and that Eye is the Eye of Infinity.

      8. Under whatever name and form one may worship the Absolute Reality, it is only a means for realizing It without name and form. That alone is true realization, wherein one knows oneself in relation to that Reality, attains peace and realizes one's identity with it.

      9. The duality of subject and object and trinity of seer, sight, and seen can exist only if supported by the One. If one turns inward in search of that One Reality they fall away. Those who see this are those who see Wisdom. They are never in doubt.

      Copyright Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai

      Self-Liberation through Seeing with Naked Awareness

      7.Now, when you are introduced (to your own intrinsic awareness), the method for entering into it involves three considerations:

      Thoughts in the past are clear and empty and leave no traces behind.

      Thoughts in the future are fresh and unconditioned by anything.

      And in the present moment, when (your mind) remains in its own condition without constructing anything,

      awareness, at that moment, in itself is quite ordinary.

      And when you look into yourself in this way nakedly (without any discursive thoughts),

      Since there is only this pure observing, there will be found a lucid clarity without anyone being there who is the observer; only a naked manifest awareness is present.

      (This awareness) is empty and immaculately pure, not being created by anything whatsoever.

      It is authentic and unadulterated, without any duality of clarity and emptiness.

      It is not permanent and yet it is not created by anything.

      However, it is not a mere nothingness or something annihilated because it is lucid and present.

      It does not exist as a single entity because it is present and clear in terms of being many.

      (On the other hand) it is not created as a multiplicity of things because it is inseparable and of a single flavor.

      This inherent self-awareness does not derive from anything outside itself.

      This is the real introduction to the actual condition of things.

      We can neither know nor become THAT which we already ARE.

      - Ramesh S. Balsekar
      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      "If you imagine yourself as separate from the world, the world will
      appear as separate from you and you will experience desire and fear.
      I do not see the world as separate from me and so there is nothing
      for me to desire, or fear."
      "The mind must learn that beyond the moving mind there is a
      background of awareness which does not change. The mind must come to
      know the true self and respect it and cease covering it up, like the
      moon which obscures the sun during a solar eclipse."

      "While the mind is centered in the body, and consciousness is
      centered in the mind, awareness is free. The body has its urges and
      mind its pains and pleasures. Awareness is unattached and unshaken.
      It is lucid, silent, peaceful, alert and unafraid, without desire and
      fear. Meditate on it as your true being and try to be it in your
      daily life, and you shall realize it in its fullness."

      posted on A Net of Jewels

      "Follow my ways and I will lead you
      To golden-haired suns,
      Logos and music, blameless joys,
      Innocent of questions
      And beyond answers.
      For I, Solitude, am thine own Self:
      I, Nothingness, am thy All.
      I, Silence, am thy Amen."

      ~Thomas Merton

      From the book, "A Thomas Merton Reader," published by Image Books.
      posted on Daily Dharma

      Come apple in a basket,
      cross the border
      Corn is straight
      and the river clear
      I'll meet you in the harbour,
       a herons flight,
      without light ,
      And the straws whispering
      on the shore

      Come ease of a beam
      Knife to the core
      Come Sunbody's night
      One and Only, to Appear:
      and the Puppeteer
      Corn is straight
      and the river clear
      Come rise with tide
      Come Sunbody's night
      Come miss this
      dawn in bliss
      poem and photos by Al Larus

      Apprehend God in all things,
      For God is in all things.
      Every single creature is full of God
      and is a book about God.
      Every creature is a word of God!
      If I spent enough time with the tiniest creature-
      even a caterpillar -- I would never have to prepare a sermon,
      so full of God is every creature.

      Meister Eckhart

      "How does one seek union with God?"

      "The harder you seek, the more distance
      you create between Him and you."

      "So what does one do about the distance?"

      "Understand that it isn't there."

      "Does that mean that God and I are one?"

      "Not one. Not two."

      "How is that possible?"

      "The sun and its light, the ocean and the wave,
      the singer and his song -- not one. Not two."

      Anthony de Mello, SJ

      - posted on Awareness - The Way to Love