#1860 - Friday, July 16, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2004
      #1860 - Friday, July 16, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Poems by Matsuo Basho

      A cicada shell

         A cicada shell;
      it sang itself
          utterly away.

      Don't imitate me

       Don't imitate me;
      it's as boring
          as the two halves of a melon.
      The oak tree
        The oak tree:
      not interested
          in cherry blossoms.

      Twins by Sam Pasciencier:

      Wendell Berry Poems

      What We Need Is Here

      Geese appear high over us,
      pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,
      as in love or sleep, holds
      them to their way, clear
      in the ancient faith: what we need
      is here. And we pray, not
      for new earth or heaven, but to be
      quiet in heart, and in eye,
      clear. What we need is here.

      The Silence

      Though the air is full of singing
      my head is loud
      with the labor of words.

      Though the season is rich
      with fruit, my tongue
      hungers for the sweet of speech.

      Though the beech is golden
      I cannot stand beside it
      mute, but must say

      "It is golden," while the leaves
      stir and fall with a sound
      that is not a name.

      It is in the silence
      that my hope is, and my aim.
      A song whose lines

      I cannot make or sing
      sounds men's silence
      like a root. Let me say

      and not mourn: the world
      lives in the death of speech
      and sings there

      Photo by Sam: http://home.hccnet.nl/sam.pas/odds_and_ends/photos/photo_21.html
      Allspirit Inspiration
      from "Wherever You Go There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn:

      When we describe the sitting posture, the word that feels the most
      appropriate is "dignity."

      Sitting down to meditate, our posture talks to us. It makes its own
      statement. You might say the posture itself is the meditation. If we
      slump, it reflects low energy, passivity, a lack of clarity. If we sit
      ramrod-straight, we are tense, making too much of an effort, trying
      too hard. When I use the word "dignity" in teaching situations, as in
      "Sit in a way that embodies dignity," everybody immediately adjusts
      their posture to sit up straighter. But they don't stiffen. Faces
      relax, shoulders drop, head, neck, and back come into easy alignment.
      The spine rises out of the pelvis with energy. Sometimes people tend
      to sit forward, away from the backs of their chairs, more
      autonomously. Everybody seems to instantly know that inner feeling of
      dignity and how to embody it.

      Try: Sitting with dignity for thirty seconds. Note how you feel. Try
      it standing with dignity. Where are your shoulders? How is your spine,
      your head? What would it mean to walk with dignity?

      Sherab ~ Daily Dharma
      "It's not the circumstances which arise as one's
      karmic vision that condition a person into the
      dualistic state; it's a person's own attachment
      that enables what arises to condition him."
      ~Pha Tampa Sangye

      "If you think, 'I breathe,' the 'I' is extra.
      There is no you to say 'I.' What we call 'I' is
      just a swinging door which moves when we inhale
      and when we exhale. It just moves; that is all.
      When your mind is pure and calm enough to follow
      this movement, there is nothing: no 'I,' no
      world, no mind nor body; just a swinging door."
      ~ Shunryu Suzuki

      "Clear mind is like the full moon in the sky.
      Sometimes clouds come and cover it, but the moon
      is always behind them. Clouds go away, then the
      moon shines brightly. So don't worry about clear
      mind - it is always there. When thinking comes,
      behind it is clear mind. When thinking goes,
      there is only clear mind. Thinking comes and
      goes, comes and goes. You must not be attached to
      the coming or the going."
      ~ Zen Master Seung Sahn

      From the website, "Twilight Bridge,"

      Along The Way
      The whole is implanted in every part entirely -
      every cell of the body contains the totality of
      the personality biologically. If you take one
      cell of the body you can study the whole of
      the person, it contains the reflection of the
      total personality. Likewise, the whole
      Cosmic Being is reflected in every man
      - nay, in every atom.
      - Swami Krishnananda

      Alan Larus

      When I was 17 years old I went to my teacher for the first time.
      I had been reading several books and discussed yoga with two friends of mine.
      She asked me what I wanted to learn, and I said Pranayama.
      She asked why and I referred to something from a book.
      So she gave me a long lesson on discipline and hard work,
      telling me she was quite sure I did not have what it would take.
      I felt very uncomfortable and just wanted her to finish so I could leave.
      Then I saw a picture on the table behind her.
      I did not know who was smiling so alive inside the silver frame,
      but I knew I had walked through the right door.