#1846 - Friday, July 2, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2004

      #1846 - Friday, July 2, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      As a wave,
      Seething and foaming,
      Is only water

      So all creation,
      Streaming out of the Self,
      Is only the Self.

      Consider a piece of cloth.
      It is only threads!

      So all creation,
      When you look closely,
      Is only the Self.

      - Ashtavakra Gita 2:4-5

      From "The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita," by Thomas Byrom, 1990. Shambhala Publications, Inc., Boston. www.shambhala

      ~  ~  ~

      I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
      - the Buddha

      ~  ~  ~

      Real Practice has orientation or direction, but it has no purpose or gaining idea, so it can include everything that comes.
      - Shunryu Suzuki

      Lee Love ~ E-zendo

      How To Fall In Love With Meditation

      What we are attempting to do in practice is overcome stereotypes
      and prejudices.     It is out of habit and laziness that we sort
      experiences according to the stereotypes they can be categorized within,
      according to our past experiences.

                  These habits inhibit our directly experiencing our lives,
      because when we see a phenomenon, we dismiss it before we actually see
      it, because we look and say,  "Aha!  I know this" and this "thinking we
      know something" before we explore it,  short circuits our actually
      seeing it.

                  Understanding comes from direct experience, not simply
      because we categorize the phenomenon in our lives.

      Lee in Mashiko, Japan  http://mashiko.org
      http://journals.fotki.com/togeika/Mashiko/ Commentary On Pottery

      photo by Sam Pasciencier: http://home.hccnet.nl/sam.pas/odds_and_ends/photos/photo_12.html

      What does it mean to learn the knowledge of
      God's Unity? To consume yourself in the
      presence of the One. If you wish to shine like
      day, burn up the night of self-existence.
      Dissolve in the Being who is everything.
      You grabbed hold of "I" and "we,"and
      this dualism is your ruin.

      - Rumi

      Gill Eardley ~ Allspirit Inspiration

      A fish cannot drown in water,
      A bird does not fall in air.
      In the fire of creation,
      Gold doesn't vanish:
      The fire brightens.
      Each creature God made
      Must live in its own true nature;
      How could I resist my nature,
      That lives for oneness with God?

      ~Mechthild of Magdeburg
      -

      When all the Buddhas manifest themselves in the world, they
      proclaim nothing but the One Mind. Thus, Gotama Buddha silently
      transmitted to Mahakasyapa the doctrine that the One Mind, which
      is the substance of all things, is co-extensive with the Void and fills
      the entire world of phenomena.

      From: 'The Zen Teachings of Huang Po:
      On the Transmission of Mind'.
      Edited and translated by John Blofeld

      I Have Learned So Much

      Have
      Learned
      So much from God
      That I can no longer
      Call
      Myself

      A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim,
      a Buddhist, a Jew.

      The Truth has shared so much of Itself
      With me

      That I can no longer call myself
      A man, a woman, an angel,
      Or even a pure
      Soul.

      Love has
      Befriended Hafiz so completely
      It has turned to ash
      And freed
      Me

      Of every concept and image
      my mind has ever known.

      'The Gift - Poems by Hafiz The Great Sufi Master'
      Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

      .

      There is no object external to the self. What you
      call the object is self itself. Let us take the example
      of a dream in which a tiger chases a man. He runs in
      fear and finally climbs up a tree. The tree, the tiger,
      the chase, etc., are all a projection of his own mind and
      his dream-personality also is a process of his mind.
      So the one mind becomes everyone of these in the dream.
      It is subjective as well as objective. This is what is
      happening in the waking condition also; and, even as the
      one single mind became all objects in the dream, the
      universal mind has become all these external objects
      around here even in waking life. They are nothing but
      the universal mind ultimately.

      - Swami Krishnananda

      Facets of Spirituality
      Complied by S. Bhagyalakshmi
      Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, 1986

      ~  ~  ~

      The essence of spirituality and mysticism is
      readiness to serve the person next to us.

      - Hazrat Inayat Khan

      ~  ~  ~

      If you want to identify me, ask me not where
      I live, or what I like to eat, or how I comb my
      hair, but ask what I am living for, in detail,
      and ask me what I think is keeping me from
      living fully for the thing I want to live for.

      - Thomas Merton

      ~  ~  ~

      If you want to know Truth, you must have
      100% Love for Truth. In this way there is
      no difference between the ways of Love
      and Knowledge.

      - Papaji

      ~  ~  ~

      The thought of God is like a fire which will burn
      all desires. The highest knowledge is nothing
      but the deep feeling of the presence of God
      everywhere. That is the highest wisdom and that
      will give a death-blow to other desires of the world.
      The desire for God is a desire to destroy all desires.

      - Swami Krishnananda

      Facets of Spirituality
      Complied by S. Bhagyalakshmi
      Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, 1986

      from ARTICLE ON H.W.L. POONJA

      "What passes away is not eternal. Every form that is  born
      has to pass away, but the underlying essence has  no form
      and never passes away. If you attach yourself  to a form, you
      make a big mistake. Even attaching  yourself to the form of
      the guru is a mistake. It is not the  form of the person that can
      give you light; it is  something else that is deep within your
      own heart. That  is your guru. That guru abides in the heart of
      all beings,  not only human beings but also animals, birds,
      trees  and plants. When you see your own essence, when
      you  have that direct experience, you will see that every plant
      and animal is your own Self. They will all start to speak  to
      you. This is the formless Self in the heart of all  beings."