#1843 - Tuesday, June 29, 2004

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #1843 Tuesday, June 29, 2004 Editor: Mark

      46. Guru's grace is always there. You imagine it is something, somewhere up in the sky, far away and has to descend. It is really inside you, in your heart, and the moment you effect subsidence or merger of the mind into its source, the Grace gushes forth, sprouting as from a spring within you.

      - Ramana Maharshi from Thus Spake Ramana submitted to MillionPaths by Viorica Weissman

      Below are the verses of the Universal Loving-Kindness practice that goes with the Commentary sent on Monday morning. These are fine to practice any time, but especially effective before rising in the morning, before going to sleep at night, and before meditation. Bhanteji advises to "really feel the intention."

      "1. May I be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to me. May no difficulties come to me. May no problems come to me. May I always meet with success.

      May I also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      2. May my parents be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them. May they always meet with success.

      May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      3. May my teachers be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them. May they always meet with success.

      May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      4. May my relatives be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them. May they always meet with success.

      May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      5. May my friends be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them.

      May they always meet with success. May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      6. May all indifferent persons be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them. May they always meet with success.

      May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      7. May my enemies be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them. May they always meet with success.

      May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      8. May all living beings be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to them. May no difficulties come to them. May no problems come to them. May they always meet with success.

      May they also have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

      Once you have completed these recitations, lay aside all your troubles and conflicts..... Just drop the whole bundle..."

      - Bhante Gunaratana

      dg: Throwin' in a little Meher Baba: "Don't worry. Be happy."

      Bhanteji's verses from the book, "Mindfulness In Plain English," which is on-line on many sites.

      - DailyDharma

      Don't waste time trying to change your conditioned mind -simply be the seeing of it

      All there is, is direct cognition.

      A direct and simple introduction to this First Instant is:
      All there is, is direct cognition. It is the first instant of knowing. There is nothing else, anywhere, at any time. The various patterns, shapes and forms appearing within and before you are just this ‘direct cognition’ - Awareness.
      It is nothing but Awareness.
      The World is pure energy. All its patterns, shapes and forms are appearances within the realm of direct cognition. There are numerous names for ‘This’ and all ‘names’ are within the realm of ‘mind’ and this, in essence is pure, direct cognition.
      That is all. All is That.
      There are no appearances which can be separate from this. All appearances are registered in direct cognition. In essence all appearances are this.

      Don’t take my word for it - look and see for yourself. It is obvious. No appearance has any independence whatsoever (from this directness).
      Even the term Non-Duality or Oneness are just words or concepts appearing within the realm of direct cognition. You are this direct cognition.
      You are nothing but this. Simply be the seeing - it is the knowing (of this) - directly. You do not have to think about it. It is instantly here prior to thinking. It is unprocessed direct seeing. Seeing - knowing. Not two.
      All that seemingly arises within the immediacy of this experiential realm (mind) is nothing but direct cognition. It is nothing but this. It does not split into two. You are this cognising factor. Words cannot touch it. At best they can only point back towards it. All these words here are pointing to it. The seeing is it. You are the seeing. Simple!

      - from the book The First Instant Copyright Gilbert W.Schultz

      More here: http://www.users.bigpond.com/tigereyez/index.html

      If you put on the armor of a warrior,
      yet are unable to defend yourself, you'll die.
      Make your soul a shield,
      bear what God sends you,
      put down the sword.
      Whoever is headless saves his head;
      the selfless cannot be struck.
      Those weapons are your selfish strategy;
      a defense that wounds your own soul.

      - Mathnawi II: 3169-3171, Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, Rumi: Daylight, Threshold Books, 1994 submitted to SunLight

      RAISE THE DEAD

      Where are your friends now?
      I don't know
      They've flown away