#1833 - Saturday, June 19, 2004

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #1833 Saturday, June 19, 2004 Editor: Mark

      Great News! You have been selected for "An Extreme Makeover!"

      Just put your self in the Buddha's expert hands for three months, give up involvement with your job, your family and friends, and surrender - let him use his four trusty tools to chip away your obscurations, to re-figure the way you look at the world, to fill in your saggin' mind pockets with your own long-ignored wisdom.

      You will cry with the pain, with the frustration, with all the hard work, with the loneliness and missing your old life. You will agonize why did I ever decide to do this?

      But one day you will look in the mirror and cry with joy when you see the new you. Is that me? Am I really free? Oh, thank you.... thank you.

      It will be a long and difficult journey - maybe not three months, maybe three years, maybe your whole lifetime - or beyond! But it will be worth it. It is really the only show in town, and you are the star.

      Then again, you could just look in the mirror right now, and decide to accept the reflection as is, the whole image untouched, continually new in its empty nakedness, forever beautiful in its never born-ness.

      Your choice, the short or long haul, either way your emergence as a swan is guaranteed.

      Emaho!

      From too much flippin' the tv remote.

      ~dharma grandmother on DailyDharma

      ,

      Lost Time

      On many an idle day have I grieved over lost time.

      But it is never lost, my lord.

      Thou hast taken every moment of my life in thine own hands.

      Hidden in the heart of things thou art nourishing seeds into sprouts,

      buds into blossoms, and ripening flowers into fruitfulness.

      I was tired and sleeping on my idle bed

      and imagined all work had ceased.

      In the morning I woke up

      and found my garden full with wonders of flowers.

      - Rabindranath Tagore from Gitanjali, submitted in one amazing post by Mazie Lane on AdyashantiSatsang

      ,

      LAST TRIP TO SWAYUMBANATH STUPA

      Hiding in corners
      Vermilion daubed stupas
      Simple roadside shrines

      Garbage strewn and fetid
      Last walk to Swayumbanath.
      Seek Buddha's blessing

      The gold thunderbolt
      Awaits at the top of steep stairs
      Bestowing power

      The inner shrine glows
      Bodhisattva's peaceful smile
      Mountains fade from view

      Chill winds blowing
      Faintly tinkling temple bells
      Flickering oil lamps

      The All Seeing Eyes
      Loom mysterious and golden
      Contain all unity

      Golden hued and gleaming
      Bedecked with garlands peaceful
      Bodhisattva smiles

      Visceral drumming
      Monks chanting, cymbals clashing
      Stupa shines golden

      His Eyes are piercing
      Gazing in all directions
      Bestowing blessings

      - michael epstein
      10-28-03

      More here: http://www.duckdaotsu.org/

      ,

      Brink of Eternity

      In desperate hope I go and search for her

      in all the corners of my room;

      I find her not.

      My house is small

      and what once has gone from it can never be regained.

      But infinite is thy mansion, my lord,

      and seeking her I have to come to thy door.

      I stand under the golden canopy of thine evening sky

      and I lift my eager eyes to thy face.

      I have come to the brink of eternity from which nothing can vanish

      ---no hope, no happiness, no vision of a face seen through tears.

      Oh, dip my emptied life into that ocean,

      plunge it into the deepest fullness.

      Let me for once feel that lost sweet touch

      in the allness of the universe.

      - Rabindranath Tagore from Gitanjali, submitted by Mazie Lane on AdyashantiSatsang

      Spoken words are pointers to the essence that we are. Spoken words are pointers and seeds, which bring you one day to understanding. In the understanding there are glimpses of this reality, and one day the understanding also vanishes in being the understanding. It is only in a very clear mind, where you see the perspective with great clarity, that there are these glimpses. But you must live with your silence, it is only through silence that these seeds unfold. It is a very high art to live with silence and not touch it, not manipulate it with the already known, with memory".

      - Jean Klein from Transmission of the Flame submitted by Viorica Weissman to MillionPaths and attributed to: http://www.lotusharmony.com/

      ,

      Ocean of Forms

      I dive down into the depth of the ocean of forms,

      hoping to gain the perfect pearl of the formless.

      No more sailing from harbor to harbor with this my weather-beaten boat.

      The days are long passed when my sport was to be tossed on waves.

      And now I am eager to die into the deathless.

      Into the audience hall by the fathomless abyss

      where swells up the music of toneless strings

      I shall take this harp of my life.

      I shall tune it to the notes of forever,

      and when it has sobbed out its last utterance,

      lay down my silent harp at the feet of the silent.

      - Rabindranath Tagore from Gitanjali, submitted by Mazie Lane on AdyashantiSatsang